FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   What is the best resort in Bodrum (Turkey)? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1584835-what-best-resort-bodrum-turkey.html)

aa213bb May 4, 2017 7:36 pm

We enjoyed Caresse. Swung by MO one day, and had a lunch there ... not the biggest fans, to be honest.

For three nights, I wouldn't bother moving, personally.

SanDiego1K May 5, 2017 9:06 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb (Post 28269694)
We enjoyed Caresse. Swung by MO one day, and had a lunch there ... not the biggest fans, to be honest.

For three nights, I wouldn't bother moving, personally.

Thank you. You've been a great help.

aa213bb May 5, 2017 11:42 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 28271939)
Thank you. You've been a great help.

I know you didn't meant that sarcastically, but I read it that way and laughed.

I've got some photos I can share, but it won't be until next week at some point, if you'd like.

Heading down to Nizuc later today, and have Noma - Mexico tomorrow, then a few days of some power R&R.

SanDiego1K May 5, 2017 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb (Post 28272595)
I know you didn't meant that sarcastically, but I read it that way and laughed.

Oops! Yes, I was sincere. My mind gets spinning as a trip draws near as to whether there are any improvements I can make. You stopped the spinning on this decision.

I've got some photos I can share, but it won't be until next week at some point, if you'd like.
Please, at your convenience.

Heading down to Nizuc later today, and have Noma - Mexico tomorrow, then a few days of some power R&R.
You're the third FTer I know heading to Noma. The other two have gone, returned and raved about it.

aa213bb May 5, 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 28272684)
Oops! Yes, I was sincere. My mind gets spinning as a trip draws near as to whether there are any improvements I can make. You stopped the spinning on this decision.

Happy to help. And, honestly, I think many people would really enjoy the MO ... perhaps it was just because we dropped by unannounced, there was a bit of a strange vibe. Beautiful, relaxing setting, though MASSIVE grounds.

I'll try and upload some Caresse pics for you; I think it's probably a step-down, in terms of hard product, but it was the right decision for us because the corresponding rates. I just knew - and felt proven right when we visited - that I'd be regretting a €1k/nt rate at the MO, when I'd much rather have just flown from IST to ATH and gone back to Amanzoe.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 28272684)
You're the third FTer I know heading to Noma. The other two have gone, returned and raved about it.

I have MANY reviews saved to read, but am intentionally waiting until afterwards so I can go into this experience as "un-influenced" as possible.

We've been to Noma in CPH, and had a wonderful time, so given the combo of that and my love for the nuances and incredible tastes of the almost innumerable regional cuisines of Mexico, I'm finding it hard to contain myself.

aa213bb May 15, 2017 10:32 am

And, as promised, here is a (small) album of pics I snapped at Caresse. Please note these are just from my phone, and haven't been touched up at all.

/

SanDiego1K May 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb (Post 28314250)
And, as promised, here is a (small) album of pics I snapped at Caresse.

Thank you so much. That gives me a better feel for the property. I'm struck by how dense it is. I hope the fact that rooms are big will leave me with a sense of space. I see you had a wonderful view from the room and a nice deck. That was an impressive amenity left for you in the room. Someone enjoys designing with chocolate.

I've been in touch with the GM and had a very nice exchange. Separately, we've decided to rent a car. Rates are absurdly low, perhaps because it is during Ramadan. That will give us opportunity to explore the area.

MikeFromTokyo May 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Maybe platinum status and possibly SNA would get you into one of their more spacious suite categories? Especially if occupancy is low, and you are allocated a spacious accommodation, perhaps density will not be a problem.

aa213bb May 16, 2017 3:15 pm

You're right, Carol, it is dense. It's why I wanted to post pics for you, so you'd be aware of what you're getting into.

Makis is great; very pleasant, and interesting to have chats with. He and his beautiful family live right there on the property, too, so he's very present.

In terms of rooms, they are not huge - when we arrived they'd prepared this room, which is the category I'd booked, as well as a suite for us. After looking them both over, my wife and I chose this one, with the hot tub. We did this for a couple of reasons.

1) it is on the very end of the property; I see I did not add a photo of it, but if you stare at the water from that deck area, and then look to the right (so, to the left when looking "down" the deck towards the hot tub), you only have a completely undeveloped hill, with some, in the distance, cattle grazing. Not a single structure. When we looked that way, it's like we were not at all around people

2) given how cool the temps were while there, that hot tub was a godsend.

Also, here's a bit of unsolicited advice - their menus at the time (the pool deck area restaurant was not yet opened) were not very Turkish influenced, so we asked for some off menu items and were quite happy (kofte, lamb ribs, etc).

In summation, sure, the MO may very well be nicer, but given the price delta, personally I would've just been irritated paying the € to stay there. At that level, I'd just as soon fly to Athens and go to Amanzoe, which we absolutely loved.

Too, knowing it was just the very beginning of their opening for the season, I felt confident the resort would be at low occupancy. And, while I didn't ask, my best guess is that it was at no more than 15-20%. Really felt like we had the place mostly to ourselves.

SanDiego1K May 16, 2017 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by aa213bb (Post 28320371)
Makis is great; very pleasant, and interesting to have chats with. He and his beautiful family live right there on the property, too, so he's very present.

Nice. He has offered to meet while we are inhouse.

In terms of rooms, they are not huge - when we arrived they'd prepared this room, which is the category I'd booked, as well as a suite for us. After looking them both over, my wife and I chose this one, with the hot tub. We did this for a couple of reasons.
This is really good information. We are already upgraded to a massive suite, so I'll keep your points in mind as to whether that's where we should stay. Like you, I prefer a view that gives the illusion of no one else around.

Also, here's a bit of unsolicited advice - their menus at the time (the pool deck area restaurant was not yet opened) were not very Turkish influenced, so we asked for some off menu items and were quite happy (kofte, lamb ribs, etc).
I appreciate this. I tend to forget that high end hotel restaurants might be willing to be flexible.

In summation, sure, the MO may very well be nicer, but given the price delta, personally I would've just been irritated paying the € to stay there.
We're using points so there is no cash out of pocket. And yes, if we moved to the MO and it wasn't superior, I'd feel very annoyed given the price to stay there.

I really appreciate your helpfulness.

aa213bb May 17, 2017 9:14 am

Of course!

SanDiego1K May 31, 2017 6:16 am

We are in Bodrum now and loving our stay at Caresse. More on that later.

We have been told the following about high end properties:
  • Amanruya is not expected to reopen. It has been losing money.
  • Kempinski will deflag at the end of the season.
  • Jumeriah has deflagged and hotel has been opened without remodel as Paramount. Apparently it still has all the gilt of the prior brand. tcmb99 first reported it here.
  • From tcmb99's referenced post: Canyon Ranch Kaplankaya in Bodrum has been taken over by Six Senses after just 1 year in operation.

Amanzoe in Greece is struggling and its future is uncertain.

tcmb99 May 31, 2017 6:50 am

I was in MO Bodrum last week and I have to say I was very impressed with the property in terms of what Bodrum has to offer. The rooms and views are very nice. The overall design of the place is great. Everything must be compared to what the alternatives are in the area, and for Bodrum I found MO to be the best hotel I have stayed in.

A few things that bothered me were:

1- too much noise getting into the room from the corridor outside.

2- staff is hit and miss with greetings and help, most are playing with their cellphones all the time.

3- there was a conference going on when we were there, which I hate to see with resorts of this quality.

4- they refused to let us check out late, even when I asked for half an hour extra I was told they have guests coming in. Check in is at 3:00pm usually so saying no to a guest asking for half an hour extra seems extreme to me.

hannisen May 31, 2017 8:42 am

Originally Posted by tcmb99 (Post 28382505)
4- they refused to let us check out late, even when I asked for half an hour extra I was told they have guests coming in. Check in is at 3:00pm usually so saying no to a guest asking for half an hour extra seems extreme to me.

I find that borderline unacceptable. Did you book this through a TA?

theLuxuryTravelExpert May 31, 2017 8:55 am

I have previously made a clip of Caresse. It may give you a god impression of the property: