Trip Report: La Casa Que Canta,Zihuatanejo, Mexico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: La Casa Que Canta,Zihuatanejo, Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:15 pm
Original Member

Yet not so much recently. It is a super special luxury venue. We're headed back next April/May.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
May 2021 trip at La Casa

I am tagging onto this older thread because it is solely about La Casa que Canta. We arrived 2 days ago for a one of those decade birthdays and wanted to post a report but found this one that is so complete that all I can do is echo the sentiments 7 years later.

[As to getting into Mexico, it was the same ridiculous, infuriating experience it always is at Mexican immigration, if not worse in some ways. I posted details in a separate post on the Mexico forum.]

Our experience is as the OP described and was so complete that I will only highlight a few additional features. [We are in a master pool suite and it could not be more elegant.] The art in the suites and around the resort is quite amazing, and would not be surprised to find it in a museum or very luxury Mexican gallery. And it all fits the scale of the resort space, and some of it is quite large and is everywhere one looks as soon as you tune into it. It took me a day or so to really tune in to it and once you start looking it does seem to be everywhere in one form or other.

It is inexpensive and easily available to taxi into town or have a drive for whatever excursion. Would recommend not renting a car.

We found the food quite good, although the dinner menu at the dining room is prix fixe (I was told it could be a la carte, but isn't really). Two or three courses, but reasonable enough and the view is unbeatable.

I can't find the thread now where KatW describes breaking both of her legs here. Take that to heart. I also fell within an hour of being here coming from a darkened hallway on to an unexpected half step. Fell flat on my face on cement tile. Fortunately only injured my toe by some miracle and can still get around OK. There are stairs everywhere, very few real railings, and very little, if any signage. I am a quite mobile and agile person (of a certain age) but this resort requires some real vigilance but is quite worth it.

Lastly, I agree that for what this resort is, what it has, and its unique location, it is quite a bargain. The service is kind and thoughtful, if not as ultra-sophistocated as some, but the prices are more than commensurate and the experience is as good as it gets in my opinion.
KatW, SanDiego1K and obscure2k like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:50 pm
Original Member

Well, just one leg requiring a hardware fix But I don’t hold it against them, been back twice since.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 11:26 am
Community Director Emerita

There are reports on this hotel sprinkled throughout the Luxury Hotel forum. I read every one. They were written by people I highly respect and they spoke glowingly of their stay experience. For the past several years, I wanted to come. I finally bit the bullet, drove to LAX, and took the nonstop AS flight to Zihuatenejo. I spent two nights at the Thompson, then moved to La Casa Que Canta. I chose my stays in that order so we would go home on the high point, hating to leave. My experience was not at all what I expect from a luxury hotel, let alone one so highly regarded. I thought hard about my requests and the way in which I framed them, wondering if this was on me. I don't think it was. The only thing I can think is that there is considerable variation between rooms and we got one that was a poorer one.

We booked a master pool suite, Room 21, Rosita Alvarez. There were only two higher level suites, the Owners Suite, and the Lindo Suite. There are 9 master pool suites. We were sent a form in advance, giving us the opportunity to request a room without stairs to reach it. We had read reports of those of you who had challenges with the steps so took advantage of this. We still had two flights of steps from the main building to the adjacent Luna Tower, but they were not difficult. Then we had an elevator down a floor to our suite.

The bulk of our space was outdoors, under shade, with ceiling fans. There was a concrete bench with a cushion, a small square table with two patio chairs, and two loungers on the pool level. The shading was fine until 4pm when the sun hit the terrace all the way to the back wall. It was 90 degrees. The bedroom and bathroom were air conditioned so we wanted to move inside. However, our bedroom had no chair. We called and asked for a chair. We were told no, that they had none. Fortunately, in an hour, a chair was brought to the room. I also asked for a foot stool/ottoman. This also was met with no. Again, in an hour, one was brought.

There was a Nespresso machine in the bathroom. My husband drinks coffee, I drink tea. We travel with a small tea kettle and I bring my own tea supplies. It failed while at the Thompson. No problem there, where they brought us a water kettle. But at this property, they seemed to have never heard of such an item. My husband pulled up pictures online. No, they didn't have one. On the morning we were leaving, my husband called to ask for more Nespresso pods. He was told they supply 2 per day and would charge him for more. His statement: "This does not make me happy" before quietly hanging up the phone. We paid $1000/night and couldn't be given 2 $.35 pods? When we came back from breakfast, pods had been brought to the room.

We asked if we could see another room. I wanted to see if there was something specific to this room. None were available.

We were to get turndown each night. We didn't. The second night, my husband called and asked by what time we could expect turndown. He was told 9pm. It was now 8:47pm. He said, "so in the next 13 minutes?" He was told that we had put the shell necklace outside our door which meant DND. Which we hadn't. I went to the door to check and there was nothing outside. A maid then came.

I had booked thru Hyatt and we were to get a free continental breakfast. The first day, nothing was said, but we had both ordered hot dishes that I knew would not be complimentary. The second day before going to breakfast, I asked what was allowed. I was told I hadn't booked thru Hyatt. Except I had. I pulled up my Hyatt app and showed the booking. I was told that would have to be confirmed by reservations. It was ultimately confirmed and some money was taken off both days.

I could go on but I won't. It was the most indifferent service we have received at this price point. I am baffled. Obviously, we are outliers, but I don't know why.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Curious what you thought about it in relation to the Thompson?
We had a family vacation there 2 years ago going in with no expectations and were very pleasantly surprised. All the hyatt benefits were recognized, the rooms were nice and the beach was great. The food was also solid and simple. We went to dinner one night at La Casa and thought it was over-priced and "over fancy" if you will. Also, the layout seemed odd just walking through the resort at night and no real beach right?
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks SanDiego1K for sharing your candid review. Coming to this hotel has been a dream of ours for decades.... we have made reservations more times then I remember and always something came up to foil our trip. Curious, I went to TripAdvisor to see if reviews of LCQC have declined. They have not. ( I don't put lots of stock in TA) That doesn't mean to diminish your disappointment. All the " no's" that turns to " yes" when your request is eventually met would be really frustrating. I have to wonder if the alliance with Hyatt has anything to do with it. It was for as long as I can remember a SLH until their partnership. Perhaps the Hyatt alliance weakened management or even moral? Staff turnover?

Anyway... it is off our radar these days... too hard to get to from Seattle and health issues prevent us from traveling like that.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:51 pm
Original Member

I am so sorry you had a poor LCQC experience. Maybe expectations too high? Friends recently returned from their third stay and raved. It is a challenging site for mobility issues, I broke an ankle there back in 2019. It is a very Mexican venue and with that comes sweet service which I gather was not your experience. Did you enkoy the architecture and art?

EDIT: Hope this does not read as if I am overriding your review/experience. Just shocked and sad your stay was so disappointing.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 15, 2023 at 4:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.