Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Orient-Express is changing its name

Orient-Express is changing its name

Old Feb 24, 14, 11:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Posts: 1,797
Orient-Express is changing its name

I truly do not understand this, as Orient-Express is a well known brand but beginning March 10, 2014, they will be changing its brand to Belmond. That would be French for "beautiful world," but somehow the name doesn't grab me.

But see the website announcing the change here.

By any name, it's still a distinct collection of some very nice properties (Cipriani in Venice, Maroma Resort on the Riviera Maya, etc.) and well-known luxury trains.
DavidO is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 12:18 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BWI
Posts: 1,780
On thing they mentioned in an article I read online was that they don't own the name Orient-Express, but license it from a french railroad company. I suppose at some point they don't want to continue to add value to a name they don't own.

Originally Posted by DavidO View Post
I truly do not understand this, as Orient-Express is a well known brand but beginning March 10, 2014, they will be changing its brand to Belmond. That would be French for "beautiful world," but somehow the name doesn't grab me.

But see the website announcing the change here.

By any name, it's still a distinct collection of some very nice properties (Cipriani in Venice, Maroma Resort on the Riviera Maya, etc.) and well-known luxury trains.
farbster is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 12:19 pm
  #3  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Posts: 1,471
More info incl. some background knowledge regarding the name change here:

http://www.hotelmanagement.net/refla...ond-name-26789
uggboy is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 3:57 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,594
little downside - vast majority of their properties are famous historical ones known by their own original name, and none of them are branded "Orient Express Madrid" etc

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 27, 14 at 6:03 pm
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Feb 24, 14, 9:54 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Proud resident of flyover country.....
Programs: Amex Platinum--Marriott-Platinum Elite-AA-Delta SM-Chase UR, JP Morgan Ritz Carlton
Posts: 3,775
Ralph Aruzza, the company's chief sales and marketing officer, said the company chose the name Belmond "after extensive research and evaluation of a number of alternatives in order to identify a name that resonates well with our guests and that encompasses the global collection of unique experiences we are today."

I knew a focus group had to be behind this
m.photog is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 9:21 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Posts: 1,992
Stupid name for a brand I love. The good news it keeps at least Tata out which as just another crap company keen for prestige for its newly rich shareholders would have ruined the brand anyway (see Aman).

Hope with the new name the repeat / loyal guest relationship will become better. This is urgently needed.

Also I trust they will remain loyal to LHW.
behuman is offline  
Old Feb 25, 14, 11:41 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,241
Definitely blame the focus groups, but also the people at Orient-Express who listen to them. They could have added O&E to each individual hotel name instead of changing the brand name entirely. Why throw away decades of history and brand identity? Crazy in my view.

I wonder if the brand name change will make the food any better? Probably not.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 4:32 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: CDG, SFO
Posts: 211
I liked the previous name better, mainly because it suited their train journeys ..
(BTW Belmond doesn't mean "beautiful world" in french, the word itself is not part of the french language)
vincentb89 is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 4:41 am
  #9  
formerly known as deathscar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Posts: 1,934
Originally Posted by behuman View Post
Stupid name for a brand I love. The good news it keeps at least Tata out which as just another crap company keen for prestige for its newly rich shareholders would have ruined the brand anyway (see Aman).
Tata?

Originally Posted by vincentb89 View Post
I liked the previous name better, mainly because it suited their train journeys ..
(BTW Belmond doesn't mean "beautiful world" in french, the word itself is not part of the french language)
They're trying to do an Aman with a portmanteau, which, ironically, I believe is also a portmanteau!
chinmoylad is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 6:10 am
  #10  
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, California,USA
Posts: 17,306
I don't get the Tata reference either. The Tata family has been very, very rich for a long, long time because the company they founded has been one of the most important companies in India (and the world) for a long, long time. They don't need to grasp for prestige; in many parts of the world, the Tata name DEFINES prestige.
RichardInSF is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 6:23 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,706
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
They don't need to grasp for prestige; in many parts of the world, the Tata name DEFINES prestige.
Exactly.
MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 7:43 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,233
Originally Posted by behuman View Post
....The good news it keeps at least Tata out which as just another crap company keen for prestige for its newly rich shareholders would have ruined the brand anyway (see Aman)....
.
Maybe our learned poster here meant to say the "ever , oh so old moneyed " Sherwoods are of a different breed and stature " to the Tatas , just maybe , that's what he may actually meant to say , instead ?...
bearbrick is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 8:00 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Posts: 1,992
What the hell of focus group is that ?

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
Definitely blame the focus groups, but also the people at Orient-Express who listen to them. They could have added O&E to each individual hotel name instead of changing the brand name entirely. Why throw away decades of history and brand identity? Crazy in my view.

I wonder if the brand name change will make the food any better? Probably not.
Wonder who is the focus group. Definitely not their regular customers . Their guest loyalty management is a disaster.

I agree with you Dear vuittonsofstyle that they are crazy, but for the food I wonder how you come to your statement. Their F&B on all trains is perfect and I had never a bad experience at one of their hotels either.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
I don't get the Tata reference either. The Tata family has been very, very rich for a long, long time because the company they founded has been one of the most important companies in India (and the world) for a long, long time. They don't need to grasp for prestige; in many parts of the world, the Tata name DEFINES prestige.
Sorry Dear RichardInSF, the Tata reference is because they retracted from a possible buyout the same day Orient Express filed for the Belmond trademark. This could make guess that Tata was indeed keen of the prestige they definitely lack IMHO. And BTW: There is nothing to be proud about being rich in a poverty ridden third world country.
behuman is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 8:09 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,233
Sorry Dear RichardInSF, the Tata reference is because they retracted from a possible buyout the same day Orient Express filed for the Belmond trademark. This could make guess that Tata was indeed keen of the prestige they definitely lack IMHO. And BTW: There is nothing to be proud about being rich in a poverty ridden third world country.[/QUOTE]

But it's a democracy !! , A DEMOCRACY !

Besides BEING Rich is glorious , and one ought to be proud ( in a nice way ) . anywhere.... ImHo
bearbrick is offline  
Old Feb 26, 14, 12:37 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 6,241
Allegedly and very hush hush, O&E discovered that it did not own the copyright to the name and, therefore, had to change it rather quickly. Unbelievable.

Tata, of course, have used the O&E name to brand their train-style restaurant in the Taj Palace Delhi. They also own a fair slice of O&E, having gradually bought up shares.

I can see why Tata wanted O&E because the group consisted of so many beautiful historic properties, which would work very well in the Taj portfolio, with or without the name.

As for the food, unlike some of you, the only good meal I ever had at an O&E was at Maroma in Mexico. Otherwise, no.
vuittonsofstyle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: