FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Orient-Express is changing its name (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1554833-orient-express-changing-its-name.html)

DavidO Feb 24, 2014 10:47 am

Orient-Express is changing its name

I truly do not understand this, as Orient-Express is a well known brand … but beginning March 10, 2014, they will be changing its brand to Belmond. That would be French for "beautiful world," but somehow the name doesn't grab me.

But see the website announcing the change here.

By any name, it's still a distinct collection of some very nice properties (Cipriani in Venice, Maroma Resort on the Riviera Maya, etc.) and well-known luxury trains.

farbster Feb 24, 2014 11:18 am

On thing they mentioned in an article I read online was that they don't own the name Orient-Express, but license it from a french railroad company. I suppose at some point they don't want to continue to add value to a name they don't own.

Originally Posted by DavidO (Post 22407853)
I truly do not understand this, as Orient-Express is a well known brand … but beginning March 10, 2014, they will be changing its brand to Belmond. That would be French for "beautiful world," but somehow the name doesn't grab me.

But see the website announcing the change here.

By any name, it's still a distinct collection of some very nice properties (Cipriani in Venice, Maroma Resort on the Riviera Maya, etc.) and well-known luxury trains.

uggboy Feb 24, 2014 11:19 am

More info incl. some background knowledge regarding the name change here:

http://www.hotelmanagement.net/refla...ond-name-26789

Kagehitokiri Feb 24, 2014 2:57 pm

little downside - vast majority of their properties are famous historical ones known by their own original name, and none of them are branded "Orient Express Madrid" etc

m.photog Feb 24, 2014 8:54 pm

Ralph Aruzza, the company's chief sales and marketing officer, said the company chose the name Belmond "after extensive research and evaluation of a number of alternatives in order to identify a name that resonates well with our guests and that encompasses the global collection of unique experiences we are today."

I knew a focus group had to be behind this:D

behuman Feb 25, 2014 8:21 am

Stupid name for a brand I love. The good news it keeps at least Tata out which as just another crap company keen for prestige for its newly rich shareholders would have ruined the brand anyway (see Aman).

Hope with the new name the repeat / loyal guest relationship will become better. This is urgently needed.

Also I trust they will remain loyal to LHW.

vuittonsofstyle Feb 25, 2014 10:41 am

Definitely blame the focus groups, but also the people at Orient-Express who listen to them. They could have added O&E to each individual hotel name instead of changing the brand name entirely. Why throw away decades of history and brand identity? Crazy in my view.

I wonder if the brand name change will make the food any better? Probably not.

vincentb89 Feb 26, 2014 3:32 am

I liked the previous name better, mainly because it suited their train journeys ..
(BTW Belmond doesn't mean "beautiful world" in french, the word itself is not part of the french language)

chinmoylad Feb 26, 2014 3:41 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 22413360)
Stupid name for a brand I love. The good news it keeps at least Tata out which as just another crap company keen for prestige for its newly rich shareholders would have ruined the brand anyway (see Aman).

Tata?

Originally Posted by vincentb89 (Post 22419101)
I liked the previous name better, mainly because it suited their train journeys ..
(BTW Belmond doesn't mean "beautiful world" in french, the word itself is not part of the french language)

They're trying to do an Aman with a portmanteau, which, ironically, I believe is also a portmanteau! :D

RichardInSF Feb 26, 2014 5:10 am

I don't get the Tata reference either. The Tata family has been very, very rich for a long, long time because the company they founded has been one of the most important companies in India (and the world) for a long, long time. They don't need to grasp for prestige; in many parts of the world, the Tata name DEFINES prestige.

MikeFromTokyo Feb 26, 2014 5:23 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 22419389)
They don't need to grasp for prestige; in many parts of the world, the Tata name DEFINES prestige.

Exactly.

bearbrick Feb 26, 2014 6:43 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 22413360)
....The good news it keeps at least Tata out which as just another crap company keen for prestige for its newly rich shareholders would have ruined the brand anyway (see Aman)....

Maybe our learned poster here meant to say the "ever , oh so old moneyed " Sherwoods are of a different breed and stature " to the Tatas , just maybe , that's what he may actually meant to say , instead ?...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

behuman Feb 26, 2014 7:00 am

What the hell of focus group is that ?

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 22414348)
Definitely blame the focus groups, but also the people at Orient-Express who listen to them. They could have added O&E to each individual hotel name instead of changing the brand name entirely. Why throw away decades of history and brand identity? Crazy in my view.

I wonder if the brand name change will make the food any better? Probably not.

Wonder who is the focus group. Definitely not their regular customers :o. Their guest loyalty management is a disaster.

I agree with you Dear vuittonsofstyle that they are crazy, but for the food I wonder how you come to your statement. Their F&B on all trains is perfect and I had never a bad experience at one of their hotels either.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 22419389)
I don't get the Tata reference either. The Tata family has been very, very rich for a long, long time because the company they founded has been one of the most important companies in India (and the world) for a long, long time. They don't need to grasp for prestige; in many parts of the world, the Tata name DEFINES prestige.

Sorry Dear RichardInSF, the Tata reference is because they retracted from a possible buyout the same day Orient Express filed for the Belmond trademark. This could make guess that Tata was indeed keen of the prestige they definitely lack IMHO. And BTW: There is nothing to be proud about being rich in a poverty ridden third world country.

bearbrick Feb 26, 2014 7:09 am

Sorry Dear RichardInSF, the Tata reference is because they retracted from a possible buyout the same day Orient Express filed for the Belmond trademark. This could make guess that Tata was indeed keen of the prestige they definitely lack IMHO. And BTW: There is nothing to be proud about being rich in a poverty ridden third world country.[/QUOTE]

But it's a democracy !! , A DEMOCRACY !

Besides BEING Rich is glorious , and one ought to be proud ( in a nice way ) . anywhere.... ImHo

vuittonsofstyle Feb 26, 2014 11:37 am

Allegedly and very hush hush, O&E discovered that it did not own the copyright to the name and, therefore, had to change it rather quickly. Unbelievable.

Tata, of course, have used the O&E name to brand their train-style restaurant in the Taj Palace Delhi. They also own a fair slice of O&E, having gradually bought up shares.

I can see why Tata wanted O&E because the group consisted of so many beautiful historic properties, which would work very well in the Taj portfolio, with or without the name.

As for the food, unlike some of you, the only good meal I ever had at an O&E was at Maroma in Mexico. Otherwise, no.