Search

Florida with kids - luxury beach resort

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Marriott Gold
Florida with kids - luxury beach resort

Hi everyone,
Traveling next week so my research time is limited. I ran a few searches and it looks like the last posts on FL luxury hotels are a bit dated (perhaps that's telling).

We're traveling with 2 kids under 3yrs looking for a beach location, ideally in calmer waters, but open to the east coast as well. Destinations we've reviewed include: Naples, Palm Beach, Miami (would prefer to avoid south beach), Captiva/Sanibel Is., Islamorada

Hotels I've come across that peaked interest:
Breakers
Naples RC
Canyon Ranch
Moorings Village
Aqualina (sold out)
Little Palm Island (Looks wonderful but no kids)
St. Regis (sold out)
Soho Beach House

Need a 1 or 2 bedroom, would like to stay around $1k/night. Would also consider a luxury condo, and would be thrilled with any additional recs (including outside of Fl. Was just trying to stay within 3 hours of NYC).

We prefer smaller properties. Don't mind remote locations (i.e., don't necessarily need tons of local restaurants, shops, etc.)

Thanks so much for any recs or feedback!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobjunior
Traveling next week

Aqualina (sold out)
St. Regis (sold out)
st regis also has condo rentals, and acqualina may as well

not sure re weather, but kiawah is winter low season until mar 12
currently has 1 beachfront with pool in inventory - 96 surfsong >
http://www.kiawahresort.com/accommod...es/96-surfsong
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=96+Su...29455&t=h&z=17
Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by bobjunior
Need a 1 or 2 bedroom, would like to stay around $1k/night. Would also consider a luxury condo, and would be thrilled with any additional recs (including outside of Fl. Was just trying to stay within 3 hours of NYC).

We prefer smaller properties. Don't mind remote locations (i.e., don't necessarily need tons of local restaurants, shops, etc.)

Thanks so much for any recs or feedback!
For quiet and family friendly in Florida, Four Seasons Palm Beach could work well.

I would give serious thought to Four Seasons Nevis or Ritz-Carlton Reserve Dorado Beach, both are easy direct flights from JFK, and very family friendly. I have stayed at FS Nevis several times, but not at Dorado Beach. Based on DavidO's review Dorado Beach seems like a great choice for families, and I feel that the R-C reserve concept is very promising.

DavidO's review: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...erto-rico.html

IIRC, NYBanker posted a positive review of R-C Fort Lauderdale. This property has two bedroom residential suites.

This thread as well as the links in the quotation below could be helpful:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...auderdale.html
Originally Posted by NYBanker
I'm also a regular at all of these (FS and RC-PB at least 10 times each, Breakers and RC-FLL twice each), but hold some different views.

In Palm Beach, I put the FS as tops (in the winter) and the RC and Breakers largely tied. The FS is the most intimate of the properties, and I have found to have the most consistent service and fewest corporate events.

The Breakers is old school; RC-PB is perhaps a speck too big. RC has a very nice club staff, but the club itself seems to face cutbacks every year.

The RC-FLL is the best qpr of these four properties by a mile. It is a different offering than the three palm beach properties - but it is in Lauderdale, versus Palm Beach. Inside the hotel, it is very nice, but when you step outside, you know you are not in palm beach. The rc-fll it is the newest, tallest, has the best (but most public) beach and has the best club offering perhaps of any RC in the continental US right now.

I've compared these properties at length in this forum. I'll pull up a link to those posts earlier this year.
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Please read these prior posts.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16650427-post4.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16348951-post6.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16369992-post6.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16485110-post2.html

If you have your mind set on PB, go with the Four Seasons.

If the price difference is other than trivial, and you're looking for something a bit more hip (but not South Beach hip), go with RC-FLL.

Regardless of the property, be sure you book with Amex FHR or a fspp or RC-stars (as appropriate) agent to get free breakfast, upgrades, etc...

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Feb 22, 2014 at 4:49 am
Old Feb 22, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, ALL Limitless, Amex Platinum
Four Seasons Palm beach offers a superb service to families with children. We stayed there with our 1 year old, and they went to town by putting a full size fridge/freezer in the room, microwave, baby bath, etc.... in our room. Very child friendly. The new spa is lovely. The beach area was very nice, and there is a great holiday vibe about the place. The pool itself is distinctly average, as a downside.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Four Seasons Palm Beach is great with kids. That is a good idea.

You can also rent two bedroom condos at the St Regis Bal Harbour from the owners directly via Homeaway etc.

I also like the idea of Four Seasons Nevis if it is not hard to get to from NYC. I believe they have some two bedroom suites that should be perfect for families.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Valveking
I also like the idea of Four Seasons Nevis if it is not hard to get to from NYC. I believe they have some two bedroom suites that should be perfect for families.
AA has direct flights seasonally out of JFK. At all other times, there are daily flights on AA connecting in MIA.

I think US flies to SKB out of Charlotte.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I think US flies to SKB out of Charlotte.
They do, as does Delta out of ATL, I believe (based on our trip there last year).

Very family friendly, though do keep in mind there will be a ~ 30 minute boat transfer from SKB to Nevis.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Marriott Gold
First, thanks so much to all. Very helpful. And very much appreciate the quick turnaround!

One follow up: As far as kids go, can anyone compare gulf coast vs east coast beaches? My toddler probably won't get in rougher ocean current but spent so much time in calmer Caribbean waters last Aug (which made a big difference in terms of overall experience when I compare vacations in Turks vs Rosewood Mayakoba/St R Punta Mita. Though I really enjoyed the latter two properties and would definitely revisit.)

Going to try the St. R condos, the FS PB and FS Nevis. Will also check out the RC Dorado. DavidO also rec'd it last year when he helped me book a week at the Grace Bay Club (which reminds me that I owe him a follow up thanks and report on a generally great trip). FWIW, we liked the GBC (and LOVED grace bay beach for kids) but found the service far from up to par with the prices.

Have been interested in FS Nevis for a while now but we're all a years-worth of sleep deprived and staying domestic (no customs/immigration, shorter preflight wait, and shorter flight time) feels like it actually makes a difference when we're only traveling 7 nights with a 3- and 1-year old.

Thanks again! I can't quite express how much travel has improved for us since I've joined FT.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:30 pm

The beaches on the west coast of FL are certainly calmer, many have near no waves at all. For kids those may be a better option. Look in and around Sanibel Island. Yet, certainly we prefer the east coast beaches and area.

The FS Palm Beach is a good option, very easy. The Breakers too has many pools, a lot of beachfront and is very easy.

If you want Caribbean and close by and very family friendly, take a look at Half Moon Bay, in Jamaica, very near to Montego Bay airport. Non stop flts to Barbados also make it an easy destination and the west coast beaches are calm. A week is a nice amount of time and the extra hour or two on a plane to get to the Caribe, and the aqua waters there, would certainly we a worthwhile investment, likely. Plus the weather should be a better bet there. Of course, I am not a big fan of Florida and that colors my view. Good luck.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:53 pm
In memoriam

We love the Breakers. It's a unique property. And it is so kid-friendly that we tend to avoid it at times of year that are "family friendly" (we're an older couple who really don't enjoy being around children). I realize this is kind of a backhanded recommendation - but I give it to you FWIW.

The pool facilities are ^^^:

http://www.thebreakers.com/beachfron...s_and_beaches/

In terms of water - the gulf will in general be calmer and a bit warmer than the ocean. But the water in Florida is still pretty chilly now (at least chilly for me) - so I recommend getting a place with excellent pools. Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.