Sydney Hotel Reviews - Consolidated thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Hotel Reviews - Consolidated thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:29 am
Suspended

Langham SYD pics. As you can see, the updates to the rooms (especially suites) are downright gorgeous. The patios and balconies are fantastic.

Click here.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Langham SYD pics. As you can see, the updates to the rooms (especially suites) are downright gorgeous. The patios and balconies are fantastic.

Click here.
This looks like a very significant transformation! Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
This looks like a very significant transformation! Thanks for sharing.
Yep, I'd agree. I saw "before" pictures and, quite frankly, it looked like one of those places I'd refuse to stay at. Looked like the stereotypical "grandma's house" with "grandma's decor"...

I'm not claiming the hotel has somehow hit 'perfection', but the place has definitely hit it's stride.

For starters, cannot stress how well run the place is. Sonia, the GM, is present at ALL times - meeting guests, shaking hands, being accommodating, etc.

Staff is unreal. So, so friendly. TO be clear, the place suffers from the same service issues you'll see EVERYWHERE in Australia....but I couldn't escape that no matter where I was in that country.

The only part of the hotel I felt was kind of left as-is (ie, management cheaped out during the refurb) were the bathrooms. And by bathrooms, the only 'so so' ones I saw were the ones in the NON-suites.

I enjoyed my stay here. I'd go so far as to stay this is my 'home' in SYD.

Suites are reasonably priced by the by.....
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:50 pm

Yep, I'd agree. I saw "before" pictures and, quite frankly, it looked like one of those places I'd refuse to stay at. Looked like the stereotypical "grandma's house" with "grandma's decor"...

I'm not claiming the hotel has somehow hit 'perfection', but the place has definitely hit it's stride.

For starters, cannot stress how well run the place is. Sonia, the GM, is present at ALL times - meeting guests, shaking hands, being accommodating, etc.

Staff is unreal. So, so friendly. TO be clear, the place suffers from the same service issues you'll see EVERYWHERE in Australia....but I couldn't escape that no matter where I was in that country.

The only part of the hotel I felt was kind of left as-is (ie, management cheaped out during the refurb) were the bathrooms. And by bathrooms, the only 'so so' ones I saw were the ones in the NON-suites.

I enjoyed my stay here. I'd go so far as to stay this is my 'home' in SYD.

Suites are reasonably priced by the by.....
I've just returned from a short stay at the Langham and thought I'd add one or two observations to pricesquire's excellent pictorial report

This hotel is back on my list. . It's gorgeous.

I love the redesign! It is feminine and elegant in the way that the MO Paris is feminine and elegant (but in a more classic style). Even standard rooms are spacious and many have small balconies or at least opening windows.

We had interconnecting rooms with the older bathrooms (see pics of bathrooms with sandy-toned marble in pricesquire's photos). IIRC these are the original bathrooms with some cosmetic updates such as new mirrors etc. They might not look as fresh/modern as the newer bathroom suites but I can understand why they were retained in the refurb - they fit with the classic modern style of the hotel and I quite like that they were not pulled out for the sake of it. They also retained the solid wood fittings in the wardrobes and, again, I think this is entirely in keeping with the solid sense of quality that pervades after the refit.

The only place where I found service to be an issue was in the Kent Street Kitchen where there were all sorts of little service blunders. I found management presence in the hotel to be on a par with the Plaza-Athenee in Paris - a major positive point of difference from other Sydney hotels.

They have the best hotel breakfast I've ever had in Sydney with none of that infuriating "your eggs and caffe latte will be at an additional charge madam".

The only potential disadvantage continues to be the location - lovely and peaceful and very interesting historically, but a ten minute walk into the CBD. Prepare to take plenty of cabs and Ubers. That might suit your preferences or it might not. It would be a complete pain if you wanted to spend a lot of time in the eastern suburbs.

Note also that it looks to me as if those peaceful middle Harbour views will be built out by the Bangaroo development in a few years.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:56 am
Suspended

Great write-up Baghoarder.

The ONLY thing I'd disagree about - and I disagree with 99% of people who claim this - is regarding the location.

Not only do I think the location 'isn't bad', but I actually enjoy it. It feels much more residential..more authentic..than the CBD.

The CBD is just that: a business district. And absent the really good views, I see no reason o be in the CBD. It's a dead-zone of activity, and it clears out quite quickly (things close early as well). It's all business, no pleasure. Furthermore, every good meal I had in SYD, and every fun event, happened outside the CBD.

That said, I will say - by and large - I tend to prefer being outside the center of things and more in an oasis type atmosphere. Langham fits the bill.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:28 pm

Great write-up Baghoarder.

The ONLY thing I'd disagree about - and I disagree with 99% of people who claim this - is regarding the location.

Not only do I think the location 'isn't bad', but I actually enjoy it. It feels much more residential..more authentic..than the CBD.

The CBD is just that: a business district. And absent the really good views, I see no reason o be in the CBD. It's a dead-zone of activity, and it clears out quite quickly (things close early as well). It's all business, no pleasure. Furthermore, every good meal I had in SYD, and every fun event, happened outside the CBD.

That said, I will say - by and large - I tend to prefer being outside the center of things and more in an oasis type atmosphere. Langham fits the bill.

I'm not sure you and I necessarily disagree at all on the location point. . Actually I think the only city in Australia that has a genuine beating heart in its CBD is Melbourne (but I'm biased ). But for someone on a touristic visit to Sydney, looking for the grand Harbour view and so forth, it is something to take into consideration (and therefore worth recording on this board). Someone looking for some history in a peaceful part of the Rocks that is not over-run with tourists and backpackers might well love it. And my husband, whose Sydney office is in Castlereagh Street, thinks it is fantastic in spite of there being several other more conveniently located hotels for him.

EDIT: next time you're in Sydney, try the Bridge Room. An excellent example of great dining in the CBD. If you didn't know what/where it was you could walk right past it..

Last edited by Baghoarder; Oct 4, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: points traveller
have headed to this thread after bouncing around a few others.

i'm looking for a virtuoso agent who has specific Sydney contacts rather than just the booking engine. Looking for a SYD hotel for my wedding night and nights pre/post.

The international make up of the bridal party means i've removed the Langham, PH is out of budget, so really tossing up between Shangri-La and Intercon (i.e. want harbour views).

added complication of it also being Mardi Gras weekend so occupancy will probably slightly higher. on that basis i am leaning towards SL as confirmed upgrade at time of booking vs taking a chance with IC - what are your thoughts?

is there anyway to guarantee a high floor at either hotel? (i.e. room type?)

cheers
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
EDIT: next time you're in Sydney, try the Bridge Room. An excellent example of great dining in the CBD. If you didn't know what/where it was you could walk right past it..
award-winning restaurant by ex-Aman Lusteds
thebridgeroom.com.au/people.html

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
is there anyway to guarantee a high floor at either hotel? (i.e. room type?)
how many rooms? SL club may be on certain floors (IC club is not, FS club is)

shangri-la.com/uploadedFiles/Shangri-la_Hotels/Shangri-La_Hotel,_Sydney/Shangri-La%20Hotel%20Sydney_Fact%20Sheet%20Jan%202015%281% 29.pdf
shangri-la.com/sydney/shangrila/about/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 10, 2017 at 2:08 am
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
award-winning restaurant by ex-Aman Lusteds
http://www.thebridgeroom.com.au/people.html

how many rooms? SL club may be on certain floors (IC club is not, FS club is)

http://www.shangri-la.com/uploadedFi...015%281%29.pdf
http://www.shangri-la.com/sydney/shangrila/about/
or Quay Peter's food is so good
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by NinaThompson
Overrated IMHO
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:57 am

Depending on the rooms booked I reccommend the IC as the the Club lounge on the top floor is great with a lovely outdoor terrace with iconic views of the Opera House, Bridge etc.. Virtuoso gives you club access. If they know it's your wedding you may get the State suite complete with Grand Piano!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:05 am

I have stayed in both the Langham and the Park Hyatt in the past two months. I really loved the personal service of the Langham and the size of their rooms, however I did not like the location of the hotel.
Park Hyatt was def the better hotel of the two: the location, service, views, and the room was always just a bit better the the Langham. It also felt a lot more luxurious. Despite the Park Hyatt being expensive, I felt like I was getting my money's worth. It was really nice sitting in the balcony watching the ships go by.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:56 pm
Suspended

So the Park Hyatt and I should not even consider the Shangri La ?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:51 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
That place is a bad joke.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:33 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
So the Park Hyatt and I should not even consider the Shangri La ?
Quite different experience and both are worthy hotels that qualify for best in world lists. SL is under-appreciated because of wide variation in room size, their corner rooms are fantastic (better than suites). Restaurant in Shang is far better than at PH, as is room service food quality. Otherwise PH has better view and more modern furnishings and style (as it should given the price). Personally I prefer the SL in Sydney over PH, even after the excellent refurb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.