Trip Reports: Four Seasons Hualalai, Big Island, HI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Reports: Four Seasons Hualalai, Big Island, HI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Hualalai leading up to Cisco week is an absolute disaster. I had a stay booked there for this year through AMEX FHR with check-out that was apparently the day of Cisco arrival. Upon booking I called the hotel and confirmed the AMEX FHR amenities, including guaranteed 4pm check-out. Well two days before my arrival date, I received an email from Hualalai that my late check-out would NOT be honored because of a "private event," that I would need to be out of my room by noon and completely off-property at 3pm sharp (I had a 2pm 50-minute massage booked so that would've been interesting). I called in-house reservations and told them this did not sync with my flights and schedule, nor what was guaranteed as part of my package, and that I wanted to cancel and come back another time. They said I couldn't cancel without forfeiting the deposit penalty (2 nights). I asked for escalation to the supervisor, whom I was told was "out for the day." I then asked AMEX FHR for resolution but they were useless too (they were told the reservations manager was "out to lunch" (it was 10am Hawaii time)). Finally, I emailed the GM and 5 minutes later received a call from the reservations manager who apologized for the oversight (she had been the one who confirmed my late checkout upon booking) and canceled my reservation for me without penalty.

This was all for an annual event they knew about and should have been prepared for. The oversight was completely unnecessary and an unforced error on their part. But worse yet was the bush league run-around I got more benefiting a city center Westin. In fact, that's the first time I've been told that I would be kicked off property part-way through the stay I had paid for with no recourse since a stay at a Holiday Inn Express near O'Hare in college and bad weather struck canceling a ton of flights.

Subsequently, I re-booked at FS Lanai and had a tremendous stay there, without question the best resort experience I've had in the United States and nearly on par with the SE Asia Amans. What an incredible place.

That said, FS Hualalai has its place especially during more "normal" periods. We have young children - and the pools, kids' amenities and service, free and abundant laundry facilities, understanding from other guests that we have children in tow, and the direct flight from the West Coast really add up to make it a place we still intend to visit time and again. In the future, I won't dare book at FS Hualalai through anything other than a FSPP agent since they are given priority attention, not to mention they can be an advocate for me if I have an issue.
This is unfortunate and doesn't sound like their usual service delivery model - but I will say this - never, ever stay here within two weeks of one of these private corporate events. Everyone is stressed out, some of the facilities or areas are closed to construct temporary stages or venues for the event, and no one really wants to be there especially when the 'attendees' start showing up and making the place a nightmare while dropping the class level down to a Holiday Inn Express clientele - the best time is the week after the event when the staff is relaxed, relieved, the attendees are gone, and upgrade opportunities from some of the room areas are much easier (ie the Golf/Ocean Villas) during venue tear-down...and prices are often at their best the weeks after the event and before the holiday period begins.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is unfortunate and doesn't sound like their usual service delivery model - but I will say this - never, ever stay here within two weeks of one of these private corporate events. Everyone is stressed out, some of the facilities or areas are closed to construct temporary stages or venues for the event, and no one really wants to be there especially when the 'attendees' start showing up and making the place a nightmare while dropping the class level down to a Holiday Inn Express clientele - the best time is the week after the event when the staff is relaxed, relieved, the attendees are gone, and upgrade opportunities from some of the room areas are much easier (ie the Golf/Ocean Villas) during venue tear-down...and prices are often at their best the weeks after the event and before the holiday period begins.
And exactly how is a guest supposed to know these events are going to happen just after their booking? The hotel will hardly volunteer the information.
obscure2k, janehoya and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
And exactly how is a guest supposed to know these events are going to happen just after their booking? The hotel will hardly volunteer the information.
Regulars know the event schedule - most of the resort book-outs are annual things, but I agree the information should be volunteered by the hotel, both verbally while making a reservation by phone, and on the website, given the experience prior to, and immediately after a book-out event will be different than normally expected.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:40 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Just another reason for most of us to avoid this hotel. It’s an overrated, almost always crowded and veritable playground of corporate events, regular patrons and families, celebrities, and not much else. And with subpar air conditioning, to boot.
obscure2k likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: British Airways
Post Four Seasons Hualalai trip report

<deleted>
callmedtop likes this.

Last edited by pancakex; Jan 17, 2022 at 11:14 pm Reason: <deleted>
Old May 9, 2018, 10:12 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks for the report.

Sounds like the usual service issues that people complain about at the FS Hawaii properties! Have you visited FS Maui or Lanai? If so, were does Hualalai rank relative to either, in your mind?
Old May 10, 2018, 7:12 am

Sounds like the typical "vacation mill" that Four Seasons is pulling off on Hawaii.... AVOID. Much better Four Seasons elsewhere, where you are actually treated like a guest.
pancakex, bhrubin and BESVISOR like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:09 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
For Hawaii, after having visited all 4 FS properties in recent months, I'd say the only one worth visiting is Four Seasons Lanai and the value spot is booking the Love Lanai to get unlimited activities include (if you're active). The other 3 aren't impressive at all. Maui was my least favorite one.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:35 am

Such a shame about Hawaii - fantastically beautiful islands, nowhere decent to stay, though in the early 1980s, when I first went there, the Mauna Kea and the Kapalua Bay were decent options with lovely beaches.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:47 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Such a shame about Hawaii - fantastically beautiful islands, nowhere decent to stay, though in the early 1980s, when I first went there, the Mauna Kea and the Kapalua Bay were decent options with lovely beaches.
The place seems to print money so why would anyone bother for something competitive versus the rest of the world. Hawaii is indeed a beautiful place, just a bit overrun with tourists and subpar lodging!
Old May 10, 2018, 12:36 pm

God, how dreadful
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:44 pm

I am really concerned about some of what I read in the review, but thanks for sharing - question - when you say you booked through FSPP, I assume you mean a FS Preferred Partner agent, correct? Did you advise them of any of these issues during the stay? If not, this is the first thing I would recommend doing in the future - you shouldn't be taking time to complain and escalate, the travel agent should be doing this for you while you're relaxing.

Hair in the shower? This is a major fail! The one thing I can always count on at Hualalai are clean rooms and bathrooms, even if both are starting to look worn out. This is a major pet peeve for me, and I would have had housekeeping in there immediately to rescrub every inch of that room - nothing is more unforgivable to me than to find traces of previous guests in the room, on the sheets, towels, etc. I've stormed out of hotels in the past for just such an issue that went unresolved.

Of course it could have been worse - as the world's biggest arachnophobe, I've always been fretting about finding a cane spider during one of my stays in Hawaii - especially after reading about a fellow FT member's adventure with a giant sized cane spider running up and down her body at the FS Lanai many years ago. Last time we were at Hualalai, we walked into the room and found what we thought was an odd piece of artwork on the wall that we didn't notice before - which then took off running around the room - the cane spider. Luckily maintenance came quickly and was able to catch and get rid of it....and even more lucky, we saw it before turning in for the night. It happens - they can run in through an open door or lanai in a flash, I didn't hold the hotel responsible, but I was a little peeved they sent the maintenance guy over with a bottle of what he said was "natural, non-chemical" insecticide instead of a bottle of the DDT I was hoping to see.

There are areas designated for receptions and parties, but it's really hard to keep the noise from disturbing at least one wing of rooms - however, the hotel should be guiding the party noise down once midnight passes. One of the reasons we always book the Golf/Ocean villas and request a room as far away from the resort as possible, is to be completely isolated from nighttime disturbances and to get the privacy that is almost impossible from other room areas.

For check-in, I prefer a quick turn - I want to be in the room changing into my bathing suit, not getting an instructional session on the same amenities I've been using for 10+ years. Give me the cold towel, mai-tai, lei, and room key and let me go. Sometimes I leave everyone in the car, run inside to sign my paperwork, quick wipe of the towel, gulp of drink and grab the key packet and I'm off.

The FSSP amenity should be coordinated by your agent - they should be contacting the hotel to pre-arrange a specific amenity and greeting card.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for sharing...how dreadful the FS Hualalai still can be.

Makes me want to return to the less-than-perfect but still wonderful and far more hospitable St Regis Princeville on Kauai and appreciate how spectacularly beautiful the views are and how good the food/beverage and service can be in comparison.
KI-NRT likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:17 pm
Original Member

I think I'll just give up on Hawaii. Six trips, always disappointed.

All islands but for Kauai, properties included Manele Bay and Lodge at Koele back in the day, the old Hana Maui, Hualalai, Halekulani, Grand Wailea.

Last edited by KatW; May 10, 2018 at 4:23 pm
Old May 10, 2018, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10

The place seems to print money so why would anyone bother for something competitive versus the rest of the world. Hawaii is indeed a beautiful place, just a bit overrun with tourists and subpar lodging!
I thought the problem was more that some of these hotels have vanity owner, who buy in for love, then realize Hawaii's high labor and operating costs mean they don't feel like they will get ROI and they realize they are already in very deep!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.