FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Deer Valley - Best Resort?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1539027-deer-valley-best-resort.html)

Hotelsforlife Jan 7, 2014 4:11 pm

Deer Valley - Best Resort??

What is the best option in Deer Valley? I've been considering the St. Regis or the Montage. Any thoughts on how this area compares to Vail or Aspen?

Valveking Jan 7, 2014 5:27 pm

I would say the Montage is the best. We are about to go for our fourth stay there and it seems to get better and better. The hard product is outstanding and the service and food have improved with every visit.

The location for skiing is great as there are three lifts right out the back door. In fact, I would say this might be the top ski hotel in the US right now.

instyleprincess Jan 8, 2014 12:38 pm

I personally prefer Montage. It's more intimate and has better service but more isolated and bit distant from town.
St Regis is located better and the cable car is very interesting but definitely not as personal as Montage.

off2rome Jan 8, 2014 2:39 pm

Montage for sure

mike_la_jolla Jan 8, 2014 6:12 pm

My vote goes to Stein Eriksen. Careful booking the Montage. They have many 'parking lot' and 'dumpster' view rooms. They are clever at using the Vituoso upgrade to put you into one of these stinkers.

instyleprincess Jan 8, 2014 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Hotelsforlife (Post 22106435)
What is the best option in Deer Valley? I've been considering the St. Regis or the Montage. Any thoughts on how this area compares to Vail or Aspen?

Btw personally I think Vail and Aspen are a lot more interesting than Park City/Deer Valley
I also don't think there's any hotel in Park City/Deer Valley that's on the same level as FS Vail or The Little Nell

Btw just curious, has anybody stayed with Washington School House?

1readyset2go Jan 8, 2014 8:22 pm

I will be staying at the St Regis next month so I will get back to you after. The Regis makes it a little easier to get to Park city's main street area and, since Montage is mid mountain you are a bit more isolated.

And under the for what its worth category... Conde Nast lists the STR at #7 and Montage at #13 of best ski resorts hotels. Hard to go wrong with either. Stay at one this year and then stay at the other next year! :)

http://www.cntraveler.com/ski-areas/...-City--Utah_14

offerendum Jan 9, 2014 4:41 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 22114475)
They are clever at using the Vituoso upgrade to put you into one of these stinkers.

Sounds great! VIP treatment;)

Valveking Jan 9, 2014 7:35 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 22114475)
My vote goes to Stein Eriksen. Careful booking the Montage. They have many 'parking lot' and 'dumpster' view rooms. They are clever at using the Vituoso upgrade to put you into one of these stinkers.

Love it. They should list dumpster view as a room category!

I guess I have been fortunate to never get the lovely dumpster view.

1readyset2go Jan 9, 2014 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Valveking (Post 22117452)
Love it. They should list dumpster view as a room category!

I guess I have been fortunate to never get the lovely dumpster view.

They could market it as an eco green room view!

paterwdb Sep 20, 2018 7:56 am

Quite some time for this thread, but wondering if anyone has an update. I usually stay at the Waldorf during ski season because the variety of rooms and types for upgrades are best there in season.

Headed there this time of year, which is likely to have better service, rooms, etc. Booking Virtuoso and looking at Montage or Saint Regis.

Thoughts?

Cardboard55 Sep 22, 2018 6:24 pm

We were at the Montage exactly one year ago this week, and we had a great time. It was nice and quiet because it was off season, but we found that meant that we got a lot of attention from the staff, no problem getting into restaurants, etc. I can't compare to St. Regis because I haven't stayed there, but I would personally not hesitate to return to Montage in September.

uclabruin82 Sep 23, 2018 12:21 am

I cannot answer your question directly, but I can say that based on the locations of the two hotels, the St. Regis has a much livelier apres-ski scene. We were there over MLK weekend last year and it was packed. It was a lot of fun, and theyhad a lot of fun treats (smores, hot chocolates, champagne sabring, etc), but the Montage was certainly more low-key. I would imagine during high-season times, service overall would probably be better at the Montage just because you will have fewer people like us who are staying in homes but coming for apres

Larkin Sep 24, 2018 11:41 pm

Stein Erickson for me. Love the ski in and out, help with boots, putting on equipment, etc. nice views to be had in many rooms. I must say we have been going for years and never tried the others as we are very happy here! So I really can't compare but can tell you we have always had excellent stays.

uclabruin82 Sep 26, 2018 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Larkin (Post 30242235)
Stein Erickson for me. Love the ski in and out, help with boots, putting on equipment, etc. nice views to be had in many rooms. I must say we have been going for years and never tried the others as we are very happy here! So I really can't compare but can tell you we have always had excellent stays.

And the brunch buffet is the best