Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2014 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Amanresorts Thread 2014 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
It ' s been more than a year since opening & Sean F is now at N'oi so service , etc should be improving .
Yes , those good old days ..
Perhaps should revisit Trisara

Missed Huka Lodge , that ' s what happens when the travels dovetails with the Queen ' s like during the Commonwealth Games
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:24 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xracer
The Gallivanters Guide has a twitter page. Find it an you will see (not sure if it's against the rules to link that here).
A bit late of me to reply but perfectly OK to post the link (as Kage did in his post a few after yours).

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:56 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by namaguide
#113 - yeap.
N'oi is impressive property however a long way to go service wise and a steep learning curve of them...

Longing those glorious Aman years... I remember I had dinner with one of the GMs in Bali years ago who was talking then about the Amans in cities. Was absolutely delighted with their interpretation of city hotels with palazzo papadopoli. But tokyo...really...!

Happy to travel anywhere for a lovely, well run, attentive, unpretentious, genuine property...
City hotels could work. Look at Upper House Hong Kong - in design and in many senses, it's fairly Aman-like. Its service is a notch below, but it's still very good.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by deathscar
City hotels could work. Look at Upper House Hong Kong - in design and in many senses, it's fairly Aman-like. Its service is a notch below, but it's still very good.
Aman (formerly Amanresorts) have launched Aman Tokyo as the 'first' city Aman, but as most of us realise, having known Amanresorts rather longer than the people who now run it, it is not. Amanresorts' history of city hotels is not encouraging, apart from Aman Canal Grande (which is more resort than city) - Aman Delhi, Carcosa Seri Negara et al.

Upper House, for me, is a four star. Its design is very dated and somewhat cheap and its food and service match that. I sincerely hope that this is not seen as the benchmark for Aman's new urban wonders!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:51 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Aman (formerly Amanresorts) have launched Aman Tokyo as the 'first' city Aman, but as most of us realise, having known Amanresorts rather longer than the people who now run it, it is not. Amanresorts' history of city hotels is not encouraging, apart from Aman Canal Grande (which is more resort than city) - Aman Delhi, Carcosa Seri Negara et al.

Upper House, for me, is a four star. Its design is very dated and somewhat cheap and its food and service match that. I sincerely hope that this is not seen as the benchmark for Aman's new urban wonders!
I meant city hotels strictly in the sense that it's a hotel in a big city (ala Aman Tokyo), rather than a resort in a smaller city or on the outskirts of a city.

I agree on Upper House's food and service, but don't think its design is dated at all.

Anyway, we'll have to wait and see how Aman Tokyo does I suppose!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:52 pm

I'm avid follower of this thread but rarely have much to add. Anyway, I saw this in the paper earlier this week and thought I'd share:

http://pagesix.com/2014/12/30/bey-an...25k-per-night/

I've never really seen the utility of the Amanpuri villas over the other accommodations, but I suppose if you're traveling with a large enough group -- and actually want your group nearby -- they might be more appealing.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by dr58
I've never really seen the utility of the Amanpuri villas over the other accommodations, but I suppose if you're traveling with a large enough group -- and actually want your group nearby -- they might be more appealing.
It can be considerably cheaper if you're traveling with a large group. Also keeps you away from the cell phone cameras if that's something you have to worry about.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I'm avid follower of this thread but rarely have much to add. Anyway, I saw this in the paper earlier this week and thought I'd share:

IIRC, they also rented out the villa on the NW corner of Amanpulo (the Nature Villa--can't remember the number). Very nice and isolated, but I prefer the view from the beach at the standard casitas.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
New Thread in Effect

2014 is over - for 2015, there are two updated threads.

1. Discussions about existing Amanresorts:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...manjunkie.html

2. Speculations and reporting about upcoming Amanresorts and GHM Hotels:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...5-edition.html
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

From my understanding, the article-described "chairman" & family has been at the same Aman as Carter & family -- different times. [The latter shuts down his and her offices for the stretch between just before Christmas to what is January 4th this year.] I wonder if this was a freebie from the "chairman" to further his own connections with more famous people, or even if there is any connection between the two. Almost seems like a product placement ad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.