FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Velaa Private Island vs. Cheval Blanc (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1529748-velaa-private-island-vs-cheval-blanc.html)

surftb15 Jun 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Here are the menus

www.filedropper.com/foodandbeveragemenu1

up to date ;)

surftb15 Jun 15, 2016 11:26 pm

IN all honesty, the most expensive restaurant was that 1497 or 1947. I never went there, it required a ....ing tuxedo., No way jose, not in maldives, The rest of the places are very affordable compared to all other maldives resorts. The cost builds when factoring in diving/snorkeling/etc. No house reef!!!

chinmoylad Jun 16, 2016 12:50 am

But then dining in general in Maldives is overrated and overpriced :)

kamel123 Jun 16, 2016 4:14 am

I had a look at the wine list. A Tignanello for 950? Wines seem to be between 10-20x retail. Is that standard for Maldives?

vuittonsofstyle Jun 16, 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Nizar (Post 26784527)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

My only concern over Cheval Blanc is the dining. From reviews I have read a meal can set you back over a thousand dollars. We are not really keen on spending that much on food and not keen on fine dining to be honest.

Maldives is meant to be for chilling. Do the other restaurants apart from the fine dining one serve reasonable good food at more reasonable prices ?

Yes, they have a very good all-day-dining and other restaurant options, apart from fine French dining and Japanese, and no, the tuxedo rule was dropped ages ago. Nobody is dressing up too much there these days. Wine is expensive everywhere in the Maldives, but Cheval Blanc does have a particularly elevated list!

ridefar Jun 16, 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by surftb15 (Post 26785756)
IN all honesty, the most expensive restaurant was that 1497 or 1947. I never went there, it required a ....ing tuxedo., No way jose, not in maldives, The rest of the places are very affordable compared to all other maldives resorts. The cost builds when factoring in diving/snorkeling/etc. No house reef!!!

Originally Posted by kamel123 (Post 26786289)
I had a look at the wine list. A Tignanello for 950? Wines seem to be between 10-20x retail. Is that standard for Maldives?

Aside from the dress code and the prix fixe the prices at 1947 are in line (for the maldives) assuming quality is there. Other pricing is similar to Amilla Fushi, so absurd but competitive. I can't speak to the wine but other drinks seem 10-20% higher than Amilla, at most.

offerendum Jun 16, 2016 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 26786897)
Aside from the dress code and the prix fixe the prices at 1947 are in line (for the maldives) assuming quality is there. Other pricing is similar to Amilla Fushi, so absurd but competitive. I can't speak to the wine but other drinks seem 10-20% higher than Amilla, at most.

Itīs not a cheap destination.... Dress code in Maledives shows a high degree of unrealistic. No wonder they skipped it......

surftb15 Jun 16, 2016 10:33 am

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 26786897)

Yea, the prices are similar to Maldives. The only thing that gets crazy is the 1947 place, which I haven't been.

The bar is pretty casual spot, a long with the Japenese place.

1947 doesnt require a tux, but is still dressier!

surftb15 Jun 16, 2016 10:34 am

Originally Posted by kamel123 (Post 26786289)

10x retail is standard, 20x is not. The prices are slightly elevated at CB, though the house wine by the glass wasnt too bad. Not a big wine drinker, prefer craft beer, so didnt really have time to get into the list that much.

landing Jun 16, 2016 11:03 am

Anyone knows how much transfer costs are?

surftb15 Jun 16, 2016 11:13 am

Originally Posted by landing (Post 26787835)
Anyone knows how much transfer costs are?

You csn get the deluxe seaplane or regular seaplane. I believe the deluxe cbr plane is 2400 for 2. The regular seaplane is half that.

landing Jun 16, 2016 11:29 am

Originally Posted by surftb15 (Post 26787898)
You csn get the deluxe seaplane or regular seaplane. I believe the deluxe cbr plane is 2400 for 2. The regular seaplane is half that.

Thanks. Sounds really good. Do you think 4n is enough or is it possible to combine with another Resort neraby?

surftb15 Jun 16, 2016 11:57 am

Nevermind, I looked over my folio.

It cost $3,942.50 (tax inclusive) for the CBR Seaplane,.
It cost $2,340 (tax inclusive) for the shared seaplane.

This is for 2 people. The shared seaplane is roughly $800 more then any other resort in the Maldives, same seaplane too.

Sorry I made a mistake.

surftb15 Jun 16, 2016 11:58 am

Originally Posted by landing (Post 26787987)
Thanks. Sounds really good. Do you think 4n is enough or is it possible to combine with another Resort neraby?

4n is fine, unfortunately, only Velaa and Soneva Jani are nearby. Theres also under construction a crazy 500 room hotel!

If you want to combine it you can do something close to Male.

Also, depending on your interests, I dont recommend CBR!

landing Jun 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15 (Post 26788127)
4n is fine, unfortunately, only Velaa and Soneva Jani are nearby. Theres also under construction a crazy 500 room hotel!

If you want to combine it you can do something close to Male.

Also, depending on your interests, I dont recommend CBR!

I thought the same 4-5n something close to Male by speedboat, then maybe CB. Why you didnīt like it? I think diving is not the best but the hard product and rest looks amazing. Which Resort do you recommend?