Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mukul Resort (Rivas, Nicaragua)

Old Dec 1, 13, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Searched the forums and didn't find any reviews.
Has anyone been? Thoughts and/or reviews? Thinking about going in the spring. TIA.
Old Dec 1, 13, 7:08 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
There were some comments on Mukul in the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...g-next-22.html

I am also thinking about visiting in the Spring, so it would be interesting to know if others have tried it out (and what their thoughts are.)
Old Dec 1, 13, 11:29 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
This is also on my list! I have read good things but would love to hear first hand from those on this forum!
Old Dec 2, 13, 12:44 am

The Mukul features in Tatler magazine's 2014 annual survey of the 101 hippest/hottest/newest hotels in the world. Must say the aerial photo of the general area looks stunning. Looks like my sort of place. A British company, The Ultimate Travel Company, is offering it for £2500 pp half board for six nights inc airfares.
Old Dec 2, 13, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KI-NRT View Post
There were some comments on Mukul in the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...g-next-22.html

I am also thinking about visiting in the Spring, so it would be interesting to know if others have tried it out (and what their thoughts are.)
Saw that, but sounded more like bickering to me than an actual review...

I noticed the hotels is a member of a few hotel/travel networks (SLH, Pure, Signature, & Virtuoso). I'm a newbie, so excuse me if this is dumb, but if you book through one of these agents or agency does that typically grant you additional amenities, discounted rates, better packages, etc.? I checked to see if they were a member of the Amex FHR, but they aren't.
Old Dec 2, 13, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You certainly will get added benefits by booking through a Virtuoso agent. If you don't know any, a number of Virtuoso agents are long time posters on this forum.
Old Dec 2, 13, 5:51 pm

Programs: SK Diamond *G
I was at Mukul in October. Simply amazing. How they have been able to build such a solid product since their opening early this year is incredible. Although the staff is still learning, they are working incredibly hard to provide the best service. Hard product is fantastic with great attention to details. We tried both the Bohio in the hillside and an amazing beach-front villa. Food was great and bar is open until 5 PM. Area is still under development, but that does not affect the resort area at all. Go before Mukul gets too famous! I booked through DavidO (virtuoso) and although the upgrade did not come automatically despite low occupancy the days we were there, the hotel sorted this out very well in the end.
Old Dec 3, 13, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ezeiza View Post
I was at Mukul in October. Simply amazing. How they have been able to build such a solid product since their opening early this year is incredible. Although the staff is still learning, they are working incredibly hard to provide the best service. Hard product is fantastic with great attention to details. We tried both the Bohio in the hillside and an amazing beach-front villa. Food was great and bar is open until 5 PM. Area is still under development, but that does not affect the resort area at all. Go before Mukul gets too famous! I booked through DavidO (virtuoso) and although the upgrade did not come automatically despite low occupancy the days we were there, the hotel sorted this out very well in the end.
Thanks! I'm hoping to make it there before the crowds figure it out. Did you have a preference over the hillside room vs. beach-front? Also, would this hotel be a good honeymoon destination or were there mostly families running around the place? We get bored just sitting around on the beach, so this place appeals to us as there seems to be more to do.
Old Dec 3, 13, 9:33 am

Been there as well and got to say that on the surface, the nicest resort in a long time. Great arrival experience, beautiful lobby. All details very well thought of. Of course it is all build around the Flor de Caña rum brand and sometimes a bit too visibly (stores and merchandise). A lot of money must have been spend. The restaurants are really great and the servicee is probably getting better by now with staff training.
I stayed in two different rooms types and have to say wow. Really nicely done, great details, great privacy and views. Bathrooms were the best part, very large with open spaces.
Spa is another experience on its own; expensive, you won't do it every day but at leafs once. You book and get a whole suite for several hours, they are all different so take your time to study which one you want. they are sort of villas, each on its own with private deck and outdoor pool o jacuzzi.
The only bad thing was that its a bit far to walk from the rooms to the restaurant, especially at night (it gets really dark) and you have to rely on a butler to drive you in a golf cart (i would like to be independent).
Not much to see outside the resort.
stay in the resort, relax and enjoy the quietness and beauty.
stay in your room and ask for private bbq!

Staff is great, they are so friendly, kind of like thai, very genuinely nice and caring.
Old Dec 3, 13, 11:57 am

Programs: SK Diamond *G
Originally Posted by adonde View Post
Thanks! I'm hoping to make it there before the crowds figure it out. Did you have a preference over the hillside room vs. beach-front? Also, would this hotel be a good honeymoon destination or were there mostly families running around the place? We get bored just sitting around on the beach, so this place appeals to us as there seems to be more to do.
Although we loved the hillside bohio where you almost live in the jungle canopy (monkeys, birds etc.), the beach-front villa was simply stunning. The two experiences are quite different and so is the price. The bohios are somewhat remote, and would be perfect if you are looking for privacy. Although the trek down to the pool restaurant can be a bit long. They pick you up quickly though. No kids when we were there, but they have a very nice kids-club which probably reduces "running around".
Old Dec 3, 13, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I have looked at this place in the past as something a little closer for a shorter get away. However, flight schedules to Nicaraugua were kind of bad (very very late night arrivals, very very early morning departures) and direct transportation to the resort was sub-optimal in that it was a very long drive as I recall. Can anybody advise as to go transport options for getting there and away in some amount of comfort?
Old Dec 4, 13, 8:25 am

Yes sorry forgot to mention that the arrival is a bit tricky still,,,,takes almost two hours from Managua airport although the road is pretty good.
Some others arrived through Liberia airport in Costa Rica, which is very close but careful, the boarder crossing might take time!
the GM mentioned to me that there are heli transfer available as well.
Old Dec 7, 13, 8:29 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Harper had a very favorable review of the property recently.

I am intrigued.
Old Jul 1, 14, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am very tempted by this place too. I've seen some reviews saying that bugs are really bad. Did those that have been find this a problem? Also would the restaurant menus become boring for an extended stay?
Old Jan 7, 15, 6:28 am
Suspended

Sent my wife and sister-in-law to Mukul for the week. They were very, very hesitant (they love Caribbean travel and were wondering why I'd push them here). With some hesitation they went.

Reserved the helicopter ride from MGA to the resort (20 min), but upon arrival the chopper was cancelled due to inclement weather.

Pretty upset they were faced with a 2 hour car ride after 7+ hours of flight (from NYC), off they went.

Long story short, they called me this morning and said "we are so happy we took the car ride." Reasons being: the driver had a good personality, he stopped when they wanting stopping, and they saw a lot of the "real Nicaragua." They are raving about the car experience.

Booked them into an Ocean View Bohio ($750/night). All come w/ private plunge pool. It looks small but serviceable. Their view (see below) is pretty good (lots of tree covering but that lends to where they are, so they're OK with it).

They've only been there for 48 hours but absolutely adore the place. My sister-in-law says this is one of the best (top 5) beach resorts she's been to. (For context purposes: she's a luxury hotel traveler, and would fit in well on this forum - in other words: Aman obsessed.)

Here are two pictures and I'll update with more if I get any more:

Search this Thread
Search Engine: