Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bearbrick

The Rosewood, which is nearer to the line 6 / line 10 interchange station of Hujialou. Actually isn’t Conrad closer to Line10 at Tuanjiehu station ?
Eclat hotel at Parkview green is actually a stones throw to the Line 6 Dongdaqiao station.
Conrad is walkable to Sanlitun in that case I would suggest the Chao which is in Sanlitun .( no pool though ).
I just checked the map, and you're right; the Rosewood is marginally closer to Hujialou than the Conrad is, but the latter is within short walking distance of SLT.

I am a fan of Line 6 because it enables people to get from the middle of the city back to 3rd ring at the end of the day very quickly. But, going to Tiananmen after the morning rush, just use a taxi (because it's not possible to do the Forbidden city from north to south).

SLT honestly is a shadow of its former self in terms of coolness, but is still far more interesting that Wangfujing after dark.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Today I learned that I'm just a shadow of my former self in terms of coolness. I have no idea what's trendy for the couple in their 20s. I have no idea what millennials want, but if the stereotypes about being tech-savvy are true, make sure to get your VPN in order! s/
specboi and callmedtop like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I think that I have decided on 5 nights in Beijing (and 2 in HK instead of 3), giving us the ability to split the stay with:

3 nights at the Peninsula or Mandarin Oriental Beijing, TBD
2 nights at Aman Summer Palace

I have read all the reviews of ASP and am not expecting much from our stay, but after 5 nights in big cities, it will be nice to look forward to a couple of days in a little more of an urban retreat to relax and see Summer Palace at a slower pace.

Does this make sense?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by bearbrick

Thus the choice of Aman SP and it’s surrounds esp roaming the Summer Palace during off peak ( with Aman’s help - dunno if still done) Don’t think Winter is that peak anyway and also the Old Summer Palace and Fragrant Hills nearby.
Re Hospitals, hopefully not needed , the 3 rd ring and failing that 4th ring will get you everywhere pretty jam free. Some good hospitals in the Haidian area too ( nearer Aman ) save the Pen for another trip . Avoid St Regis ��... otherwise you coukd consider Bulgari but don’t think Marriott card is apllicable even with the new revamp card “ Bonvoy “ ? ��
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Been to ASP more than once . We have stayed off peak during Mark S ‘ tenure as GM over April Fools which coincided with Good Friday .
Roaming the Summer Palace off hours via secret entrance was a highlight .
That was also before going to The Great Wall that necessitated a visit to one of their hospitals for foreigners “ near “ ASP in AMAN car & capable chauffeur .

We & the team present then will have this wedged in their memory . Hope no one else ever has to use the super comfortable wheelchair ( they had a wonderful one then ) . There are no ramps , & you must know the threshold at every door ..

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I think that I have decided on 5 nights in Beijing (and 2 in HK instead of 3), giving us the ability to split the stay with:

3 nights at the Peninsula or Mandarin Oriental Beijing, TBD
2 nights at Aman Summer Palace

I have read all the reviews of ASP and am not expecting much from our stay, but after 5 nights in big cities, it will be nice to look forward to a couple of days in a little more of an urban retreat to relax and see Summer Palace at a slower pace.

Does this make sense?
2 nights in ASP is ok but if they have interesting exclusives than perhaps even 3 . A day for their Great Wall excursion is highly recommended .
Another for Summer Palace , private time mornings / evenings .. day can be for exploring elsewhere nearby , spa . If another poor air day can be for enjoying movies with ice cream / popcorn - choose from their library .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Feb 4, 2019 at 3:28 am Reason: Forgot I posted above , added the post & another
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:35 pm

MO Beijing rates are very very high relative to the competition. I know this will be the new stunner in Beijing at least on hard product, but I wonder if the price premium is worth it (I suppose no one will know until its open).

There is a nice 3rd night free deal on suites which makes the Deluxe Suite (100sqm) come to $625++ per night. A Premier Suite at the Pen (75sqm, with likely upgrade to 100sqm Grand Premier) is $400++.

The difference is most stark on the entry level rates. MO starts at $460++ while the Pen starts at $330++.

These hotels seem to be competing for the same business on the surface - is this really just a function of being the new guy on the block? I do love that the MO has a sub-100 room count. We'll be traveling in November and will likely spend a lot of time in the hotel given the colder weather.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop
MO Beijing rates are very very high relative to the competition. I know this will be the new stunner in Beijing at least on hard product, but I wonder if the price premium is worth it (I suppose no one will know until its open).

There is a nice 3rd night free deal on suites which makes the Deluxe Suite (100sqm) come to $625++ per night. A Premier Suite at the Pen (75sqm, with likely upgrade to 100sqm Grand Premier) is $400++.

The difference is most stark on the entry level rates. MO starts at $460++ while the Pen starts at $330++.

These hotels seem to be competing for the same business on the surface - is this really just a function of being the new guy on the block? I do love that the MO has a sub-100 room count. We'll be traveling in November and will likely spend a lot of time in the hotel given the colder weather.
The Grand Premier was very nice, my last stay at the Pen we had the Grand Premier Suite connected to a deluxe suite. The major difference is the addition of a dining area, and a 2nd entrance that leads into the walk in closet.

I did find the 2nd entrance to be functional, easy to get changed in the closet and just walk right out, opposed to walking around the suite.

I am not sure what the new Peninsula room count is, but it did not feel "big", like I had mentioned in my previous review the fella who was the Assistant guest service manager at the time greeted me by name everyday he saw me in the lobby, which was a nice touch.
You cannot go wrong with the Peninsula in my opinion.
callmedtop and BlackHappy like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:53 pm

We will have a stopover in Beijing during our upcoming Fall RTW trip, and we are looking for a nice hotel in Beijing. We're looking at Peninsula through Amex FHR. The benefit stated is:

"A complimentary lunch or dinner, for two people per room, excluding alcoholic beverages, taxes and gratuities, once during your stay"

How does it work? Yes - it's complimentary lunch or dinner - but to what extent? One of the restaurant serves dim sum, so does that mean 12-13 dim sum dishes or appetizer, mains and desserts on a 3-course menu? Just curious about how to setup the expectation.

We're leaning heavily towards the Peninsula, or the Aman Summer Palace as the distant 2nd.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:43 pm

After booking the MO last week, I noticed that the Peninsula is now doing a "30th Anniversary Special Office" for their top suites (Grand Premier and up). Grand Premier on my dates is 2,700RMB versus the 4,200RMB a similiar-sized suite at the Mandarin is going for. That is too much of a price difference to justify, so I canceled the MO and booked the Pen. Many thanks to @specboi and all others who have written about the Pen since the renovation.
specboi and Aventine like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: CI Emerald. Marriott Plat. Hyatt Globalist.
AMAN Summer Palace Mini Summary after 2 nights stay in Feb:
The location of the hotel is truly one of a kind in Beijing. Apart from that please don't expect service to be remotely close to your typical Aman property.

Pros:
- Private entrance to Summer Palace
- Beautiful aesthetic of rooms and hotel ground
- Front desk manager eager to please
- Great afternoon tea experience
- Fantastic gym and pool

Cons:
- Service is cold and sterile, worse than other lux hotels in Beijing
- GM either away from property or didn't make an attempt to greet guests
- Staff frequently ask for room number even when told occupancy was around 10%, swimming pool staff even asked if we were hotel guests (This Aman also has a membership program for the gym/pool facilities)
- BIG CON imo: Hotel guests use to be able to enter the summer palace from the private entrance before and after the park's operating hours. But was told that benefit is now gone after someone tried lighting the palace on fire during non-operating hours late last year... So now it's only a matter of convenience while living here since by the time you do go into the palace it's jam packed with tourists
- Upon arrival, front desk took less than 2 minutes to explain the hotel, failed to mention where most facilities were located, and was told later the movie room is closed for renovations
- Many choices for (made to order) breakfast yet taste is average to poor. Pecking duck during dinner was great though, however dinner service was slow since the restaurants had to put most of their attentions on the government VIPs occupying the 2 private dinning rooms. One of the dining space was also closed off for private event.
- Service consistency all over the place, multiple employees revealed a large percentage of the workers are interns (???), and lots of cost-cutting measures were put in place
- Room is showing age and room cleaning lacks thoroughness, water stains on table and paint/tiles falling apart

Overall I may stay here again if I'm in Beijing and looking for a getaway from the bustling city. But with the Summer Palace "vip" access hours gone and the lack of service that Amans are known for, I wouldn't be going out of my way to visit again. It's a property that doesn't require itself to go above and beyond since most of it's clientele are wealthy local residents and VIPs, there's always the thought of complaining to the GM, etc but having grown up in China myself, I'm too familiar with the hospitality and hotel industry here thus my expectations coming in was quite low.
specboi and callmedtop like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by yellowmamba
AMAN Summer Palace Mini Summary after 2 nights stay in Feb:
The location of the hotel is truly one of a kind in Beijing. Apart from that please don't expect service to be remotely close to your typical Aman property.

Pros:
- Private entrance to Summer Palace
- Beautiful aesthetic of rooms and hotel ground
- Front desk manager eager to please
- Great afternoon tea experience
- Fantastic gym and pool

Cons:
- Service is cold and sterile, worse than other lux hotels in Beijing
- GM either away from property or didn't make an attempt to greet guests
- Staff frequently ask for room number even when told occupancy was around 10%, swimming pool staff even asked if we were hotel guests (This Aman also has a membership program for the gym/pool facilities)
- BIG CON imo: Hotel guests use to be able to enter the summer palace from the private entrance before and after the park's operating hours. But was told that benefit is now gone after someone tried lighting the palace on fire during non-operating hours late last year... So now it's only a matter of convenience while living here since by the time you do go into the palace it's jam packed with tourists
- Upon arrival, front desk took less than 2 minutes to explain the hotel, failed to mention where most facilities were located, and was told later the movie room is closed for renovations
- Many choices for (made to order) breakfast yet taste is average to poor. Pecking duck during dinner was great though, however dinner service was slow since the restaurants had to put most of their attentions on the government VIPs occupying the 2 private dinning rooms. One of the dining space was also closed off for private event.
- Service consistency all over the place, multiple employees revealed a large percentage of the workers are interns (???), and lots of cost-cutting measures were put in place
- Room is showing age and room cleaning lacks thoroughness, water stains on table and paint/tiles falling apart

Overall I may stay here again if I'm in Beijing and looking for a getaway from the bustling city. But with the Summer Palace "vip" access hours gone and the lack of service that Amans are known for, I wouldn't be going out of my way to visit again. It's a property that doesn't require itself to go above and beyond since most of it's clientele are wealthy local residents and VIPs, there's always the thought of complaining to the GM, etc but having grown up in China myself, I'm too familiar with the hospitality and hotel industry here thus my expectations coming in was quite low.
yikes that sounds terrible, I agree the exclusive entrance to the Summer Palace before or after the park was open was the main benefit of staying here. Sorry to hear that the overall stay did not live up to expectations, i guess it is really bad luck when you are at the hotel at the same time as government VIPs, but in a true luxury hotel, the staff should be able to juggle it all seamlessly. clearly that was not the case here.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:47 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by r0m8470
"A complimentary lunch or dinner, for two people per room, excluding alcoholic beverages, taxes and gratuities, once during your stay"

How does it work? Yes - it's complimentary lunch or dinner - but to what extent? One of the restaurant serves dim sum, so does that mean 12-13 dim sum dishes or appetizer, mains and desserts on a 3-course menu? Just curious about how to setup the expectation.
I can't speak to FHR, but PenClub bookings state it is excluding alcohol, taxes and gratuities. Lunch or Dinner offered in either JING or Huang Ting. The value is approx CNY660.00
@callmedtop looks like the rates are lower for several pockets coming up. I just re-booked people for May 2019 thanks to your post. Does blend with PenClub/Virtuoso and I'd assume FHR
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
I'll be at the Peninsula Beijing in one of their "Grand Premier Suites" in early April and will be sure to report back. So far, the interaction has been great.
ABG, scented, G-CIVC and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by ray1022
I'll be at the Peninsula Beijing in one of their "Grand Premier Suites" in early April and will be sure to report back. So far, the interaction has been great.
Thks - pls do.
I wanted to surprise my wife with a Rolls Royce ride from the airport. As far as she knows, we are booked at the Grand Hyatt Beijing ....
scented, specboi and Aventine like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:07 am

I'll be at the Peninsula Beijing soon as well, in their Beijing Suite, and will be report back! Like the posts above, interaction has been really good so far as well-- much better than the Peninsula Shanghai which has been a surprise for me since Shanghai seems to be the more revered hotel of the two. More on that in the soon to come trip report
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by r0m8470
Thks - pls do.
I wanted to surprise my wife with a Rolls Royce ride from the airport. As far as she knows, we are booked at the Grand Hyatt Beijing ....
Should be a VERY nice surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.