Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Currently at Pen Beijing, upgraded from Premier suite all the way to Beijing Suite, nice surprise after a chaotic arrival/immigration/drive from PEK that took longer than my HKG-PEK flight

Mind blowing hardware, decent service (check in was hectic but concierge has been great so far), breakfast is unfortunately rather sad!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
breakfast is unfortunately rather sad!
How so? I've never stayed at the Pen but am contemplating a stay in the near future. What makes breakfast sad?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Currently at Pen Beijing, upgraded from Premier suite all the way to Beijing Suite, nice surprise after a chaotic arrival/immigration/drive from PEK that took longer than my HKG-PEK flight

Mind blowing hardware, decent service (check in was hectic but concierge has been great so far), breakfast is unfortunately rather sad!
Very curious to hear more, especially as your stay progresses!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold

That's a big upgrade, Beijing suite is the one with the in room cinema right?
Is breakfast buffet still at the French restaurant of the hotel? I don't recall it being "sad", it wasn't as expensive as rosewood for sure, but still had a decent spread from what I remember.
scented likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I like the duplex suites at the Peninsula. The Aman Summer Palace is (in my opinion) by far the worst Aman. I also despise Beijing and would never choose to spend time there over HKG (for the guy splitting HKG/PEK days).
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I like the duplex suites at the Peninsula. The Aman Summer Palace is (in my opinion) by far the worst Aman. I also despise Beijing and would never choose to spend time there over HKG (for the guy splitting HKG/PEK days).
I am no longer willing to live in Beijing because the traffic and the pollution are big drags, but it is definitely an acquired taste. Back when Kaiser Kuo wrote a column for the Beijinger, he eloquently expressed the magic beneath the surface. Sure, Hong Kong, and even Shanghai, are more beautiful, but Beijing is the capital, and its art/music scenes are simply unrivaled.
scented likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:40 pm

strange re your arrival immigration etc chaos - I got into Beijing earlier in the week , arrived around 5 pm and everything went very smoothly including the taxi queue. Despite peak traffic, was not stuck in some jam .Do share what happened.

Was at the Mandarin Oriental Wangfujing and it was a near perfect stay - breakfast was the let down. But Hardware and service was just superb. - it really is a Gem in Beiiing . Just what I have always wanted for Beijing . A small , luxurious ,intimate hotel in Beijing with panoramic views of the Forbidden City.. It beats Chao and PuXuan.

In the 5 days , everyday was mainly clear except for one overcast, light haze couple of hours . And there was heavy rain , thankfully overnight.

Actually My nightmare began when i got into Hong Kong , now yesterday , with the chaos of cancelled flights and back to back delays due to weather issues, resulting in missed connections.

Also managed a lunch restaurant visit to Aman Summer Palace - as stunning as ever , perfect season now albeit slightly chillier than expected but the patchy service was a let down. Nevertheless a picture perfect day with drinks on the terrace.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I am no longer willing to live in Beijing because the traffic and the pollution are big drags, but it is definitely an acquired taste. Back when Kaiser Kuo wrote a column for the Beijinger, he eloquently expressed the magic beneath the surface. Sure, Hong Kong, and even Shanghai, are more beautiful, but Beijing is the capital, and its art/music scenes are simply unrivaled.
do come back moondog , Beijing misses you 😊
pollution in London is severe too , soot and all.
and I don’t get the HK n SH is more beautiful part - can’t agree there .
come back !
😅
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick

do come back moondog , Beijing misses you 😊
pollution in London is severe too , soot and all.
and I don’t get the HK n SH is more beautiful part - can’t agree there .
come back !
😅
Thanks for your kind words. I do make it up there monthly,
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:43 am

Does anyone know how to book the Peninsula's pick up service and what does it cost roughly? Does it include pick up and fast track assistance or just transportation?

BTW - slightly off topic - I have a Chinese visa, but my wife did not. Is there a different passport control lane that she has to go first, prior to being able to take advantage of the visa-free transit?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by r0m8470
Does anyone know how to book the Peninsula's pick up service and what does it cost roughly? Does it include pick up and fast track assistance or just transportation?

BTW - slightly off topic - I have a Chinese visa, but my wife did not. Is there a different passport control lane that she has to go first, prior to being able to take advantage of the visa-free transit?
I don't know 100% for Pen, but at rosewood Beijing, the pick up service was $200ish CAD in their Jag, and $350 CAD for the Range Rover. Includes pick up at the jet bridge by a 3rd party airport company. It did not include fast track at customs.

My gf is a Chinese passport holder while I am not, we had to stand in different lines, and hers did move significantly faster.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:02 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
For Peninsula Beijing:
Hotel BMW 7 Series is RMB 980 + 16.6% service charge for a one way drop off.
For an Additional RMB 300 can include the VIP services, meet/greet, etc.

Hotel Rolls Royce is RMB 1600 + 16.% service charge.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by ray1022
For Peninsula Beijing:
Hotel BMW 7 Series is RMB 980 + 16.6% service charge for a one way drop off.
For an Additional RMB 300 can include the VIP services, meet/greet, etc.

Hotel Rolls Royce is RMB 1600 + 16.% service charge.
While I love fancy cars, Y120 for a taxi, and Y1000 left over for food/drinks is my style.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by moondog
While I love fancy cars, Y120 for a taxi, and Y1000 left over for food/drinks is my style.
Yes. I am debating if a ride in a Rolls Royce is worth it.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by r0m8470
Yes. I am debating if a ride in a Rolls Royce is worth it.
Peninsula is very reasonable in pricing their Rolls Royce. If you want the extra comfort, definitely worth it.
specboi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.