Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I too am confused about the best option in Beijing. We are 20-somethings and care more about restaurants/bars/trendy areas more than being next to the sights. Would like to be able to walk out of the hotel and be in a nice, fun area (that isn't Times Square-esque). We can always take cabs to the sights during the day. What is best with that in mind? Never having been to Beijing and not understanding the neighborhoods fully, the choice is somewhat daunting.
I am thinking that the Conrad might be a good option for you because:
-line 6 takes you directly to nanluoguxiang (take a taxi to Tiananmen, and come back from there, after doing the Forbidden City / Beihai drill)
-SLT is walkable

Beijing is honestly my favorite city in the world, and I applaud you for wanting to pursue it in your own way.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
The opposite house would be a chic fun hotel near/in Sanlitun which is more of a younger/hip/bar hopping area.
FlyerEC and callmedtop like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by specboi
The opposite house would be a chic fun hotel near/in Sanlitun which is more of a younger/hip/bar hopping area.
I semi disagree because SLT itself is no longer especially cool.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
she will be 29 weeks pregnant at the time. What property is likely best suited to look after her needs? Or do you recommend against travelling to Beijing at all given the circumstances?
This would be my main concern, but it's up to you and your wife to weigh the risks. Of course, there are potential concerns from air pollution to getting hit by something/everything anytime you cross the street. Personally, I'm rather risk-averse and would pick Aman SP if she had to go. It's a bit more quiet and secluded but allows you to explore Summer Palace at your leisure.
Kilian Zoll and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:29 am

Any recommendation on hotels for first time Beijing visitors? I've been to BJ a few times myself, but my wife hasn't. We're planning a trip in late April (I believe this is seen as an ideal time to go in terms of weather) and she will be 29 weeks pregnant at the time. What property is likely best suited to look after her needs? Or do you recommend against travelling to Beijing at all given the circumstances?

We're tentatively looking at Aman Summer Palace, Peninsula, Rosewood and possibly the StR as we are Marriott Plats.
Hardly any air pollution for my last few visits in late 2018, and Beijing’s brilliant skies are stunning. Pollution is no longer such an issue. It’s not Delhi. With the pregnancy in a fairly advanced state , it probably Not a good idea to travel anywhere. But if you do decide to travel and to Beijing i would suggest you stay in one area and not whizz around all over the city. Staying at Aman SP would be nice if you were to enjoy the hotel and tour the Summer Palace next door at leisure or an organised private tours of other attractions eg Great Wall with ASP as the base. 3 nights would be just right .
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Since he's still in his 20s, wudaokou would provide a fun night, but I wouldn't dream of actually staying up there, even in a super nice hotel (assuming one existed).
Well , there is indeed a super nice hotel, near enough . Aman Summer Palace 😅
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:41 am

I am thinking that the Conrad might be a good option for you because:
-line 6 takes you directly to nanluoguxiang (take a taxi to Tiananmen, and come back from there, after doing the Forbidden City / Beihai drill)
-SLT is walkable

Beijing is honestly my favorite city in the world, and I applaud you for wanting to pursue it in your own way.
moondog , no Conrad please 😓, it’s a stand-alone hotel in the middle of no where really. I do like the smallness of Conrad but it’s not for new visitors. In that area they might as well go to the Eclat hotel Parkview green Fangcaodi with the shops and bars down below or to Chao Beijing in SanLiTun or the China world ... all with activities right downstairs or near enough.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick

moondog , no Conrad please 😓, it’s a stand-alone hotel in the middle of no where really. I do like the smallness of Conrad but it’s not for new visitors. In that area they might as well go to the Eclat hotel Parkview green Fangcaodi with the shops and bars down below or to Chao Beijing in SanLiTun or the China world ... all with activities right downstairs or near enough.
Line 6 is a BIG advantage in favor of the conrad.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors

Hardly any air pollution for my last few visits in late 2018, and Beijing’s brilliant skies are stunning. Pollution is no longer such an issue. It’s not Delhi. With the pregnancy in a fairly advanced state , it probably Not a good idea to travel anywhere. But if you do decide to travel and to Beijing i would suggest you stay in one area and not whizz around all over the city. Staying at Aman SP would be nice if you were to enjoy the hotel and tour the Summer Palace next door at leisure or an organised private tours of other attractions eg Great Wall with ASP as the base. 3 nights would be just right .
Pollution isn't really my concern - we live in HK and travel all over China regularly, and are aware of the massive improvements in air quality across the country in the past few years.

It's more crowds (given high season), traffic, getting stuck in places without being able to get out, transportation times to good hospitals etc. Even though Beijing is highly developed I have a feeling it might not be the best city to travel to (unlike a city like Tokyo for example) when pregnant, but I'd my thrilled to be proven wrong.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:36 am

Line 6 is a BIG advantage in favor of the conrad.
The Rosewood, which is nearer to the line 6 / line 10 interchange station of Hujialou. Actually isn’t Conrad closer to Line10 at Tuanjiehu station ?
Eclat hotel at Parkview green is actually a stones throw to the Line 6 Dongdaqiao station.
Conrad is walkable to Sanlitun in that case I would suggest the Chao which is in Sanlitun .( no pool though ).

Last edited by bearbrick; Jan 19, 2019 at 7:58 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:48 am

Pollution isn't really my concern - we live in HK and travel all over China regularly, and are aware of the massive improvements in air quality across the country in the past few years.

It's more crowds (given high season), traffic, getting stuck in places without being able to get out, transportation times to good hospitals etc. Even though Beijing is highly developed I have a feeling it might not be the best city to travel to (unlike a city like Tokyo for example) when pregnant, but I'd my thrilled to be proven wrong.

Thus the choice of Aman SP and it’s surrounds esp roaming the Summer Palace during off peak ( with Aman’s help - dunno if still done) Don’t think Winter is that peak anyway and also the Old Summer Palace and Fragrant Hills nearby.
Re Hospitals, hopefully not needed , the 3 rd ring and failing that 4th ring will get you everywhere pretty jam free. Some good hospitals in the Haidian area too ( nearer Aman ) save the Pen for another trip . Avoid St Regis ��... otherwise you coukd consider Bulgari but don’t think Marriott card is apllicable even with the new revamp card “ Bonvoy “ ? ��
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Still quite confused as to my best bet as a 20-something couple. I’ve narrowed it down to:

Opposite House
Peninsula
Four Seasons
Rosewood
Upcoming Mandarin Oriental

From what I can tell, Four Seasons and Rosewood aren’t in the best neighborhoods (more business-like), while Pen and TOH are in more touristy areas near the sights. Not sure which is best for more of a trendy neighborhood (think downtown NYC versus midtown/uptown).

Does what I’m looking for exist? And if not, what is the closest I’ll get given the options above?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:53 am

Still quite confused as to my best bet as a 20-something couple. I’ve narrowed it down to:

Opposite House
Peninsula
Four Seasons
Rosewood

From what I can tell, Four Seasons and Rosewood aren’t in the best neighborhoods (more business-like), while Pen and TOH are in more touristy areas near the sights. Not sure which is best for more of a trendy neighborhood (think downtown NYC versus midtown/uptown).

Does what I’m looking for exist? And if not, what is the closest I’ll get given the options above?
The new MO will be stunning apparently, though unsure of early days service. Four Seasons in Beijing is boring, you might consider Pen. Bulgari also tends to attract a younger crowd.

Bit OT, but I find it amusing that Bulgari copy/paste their (Spa) designs all over the world. I realize it is a well-working Citterio/Viel design, but most hospitality groups favor more nuances between property designs, which ultimately saves them in 10 years, when all of a sudden every single design looks old from one minute to another -- all over the world.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

Thus the choice of Aman SP and it’s surrounds esp roaming the Summer Palace during off peak ( with Aman’s help - dunno if still done) Don’t think Winter is that peak anyway and also the Old Summer Palace and Fragrant Hills nearby.
Re Hospitals, hopefully not needed , the 3 rd ring and failing that 4th ring will get you everywhere pretty jam free. Some good hospitals in the Haidian area too ( nearer Aman ) save the Pen for another trip . Avoid St Regis ��... otherwise you coukd consider Bulgari but don’t think Marriott card is apllicable even with the new revamp card “ Bonvoy “ ? ��
Been to ASP more than once . We have stayed off peak during Mark S ‘ tenure as GM over April Fools which coincided with Good Friday .
Roaming the Summer Palace off hours via secret entrance was a highlight .
That was also before going to The Great Wall that necessitated a visit to one of their hospitals for foreigners “ near “ ASP in AMAN car & capable chauffeur .

We & the team present then will have this wedged in their memory . Hope no one else ever has to use the super comfortable wheelchair ( they had a wonderful one then ) . There are no ramps , & you must know the threshold at every door ..
bearbrick likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:33 pm

Opposite House
Peninsula
Four Seasons
Rosewood

Cant go wrong with MO Wangfujing I suppose but it’s newness may or may not be a concern. Also there’s Waldorf Astoria across from a Pen or the Pen itself ( find height in Rooms a little low though ) . Other luxury options in area The PuXuan ... pls search online.

In the sanlitun area , do consider Chao Beijing .. do search for info ... Which is in the heart of SLT . For me opposite house has a most uncomfortably designed room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.