Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Someone earlier mentioned the "Made in China" restaurant at the Grand Hyatt. Is that a top place to eat? I looked up some pictures and the duck looks great.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Someone earlier mentioned the "Made in China" restaurant at the Grand Hyatt. Is that a top place to eat? I looked up some pictures and the duck looks great.
I happen to like Made in China, but I wouldn't describe it as a "top place to eat". By the way, there are lots of threads about food in the China forum.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Anyone have thoughts on The Peninsula Beijing? It seems to be centrally located and looks phenomenal after the renovation. I'll be in town for 3 nights in mid-April - starting to look at accommodations now. Looking to stay at a 5-star luxury hotel that isn't too far from the center of Beijing and interested in any opinions, as the only other time I visited, we stayed at a cheap 3-star hotel that I wasn't thrilled with.
I stayed at the Peninsula Beijing Last year after the renovation and I was blown away.
The rooms were huge and I thought the service was great.
The rooms were brand new so it was super modern and clean, the decor reminds me a lot of a "luxury yacht", think the colour/design of the Mercedes Maybach Vision Concept

Location wise, the Peninsula Beijing was great for sight seeing, it is walking distance to the Forbidden City, Wangfujin Shopping Street, and a short taxi ride away from Sanlitun, the clubbing/party area.

I also stayed at the Rosewood Beijing, which I loved for the manor club and bathroom, but overall I liked the Peninsula better.

Please see my review here

​​​​​​Rosewood Beijing Vs Peninsula Beijing: Review
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:09 am

Rosewood is A LOT closer to SLT if that's your thing, and there are better restaurants on the east side of town. While I agree that the rosewood location itself is suboptimal, I still prefer it to downtown.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by specboi
I stayed at the Peninsula Beijing Last year after the renovation and I was blown away.
The rooms were huge and I thought the service was great.
The rooms were brand new so it was super modern and clean, the decor reminds me a lot of a "luxury yacht", think the colour/design of the Mercedes Maybach Vision Concept

Location wise, the Peninsula Beijing was great for sight seeing, it is walking distance to the Forbidden City, Wangfujin Shopping Street, and a short taxi ride away from Sanlitun, the clubbing/party area.

I also stayed at the Rosewood Beijing, which I loved for the manor club and bathroom, but overall I liked the Peninsula better.

Please see my review here

​​​​​​Rosewood Beijing Vs Peninsula Beijing: Review
Agreed. Currently at Peninsula Beijing and am impressed. Nice hard and soft products and good location for sightseeing. Only thing is lobby can get busy—I assume for people coming for afternoon tea.

Originally was was going to stay at Park Hyatt again, which is closer to work. But, the renovation there is a pain. It takes three elevators to get from the lobby to the guest rooms!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Apparently the Peking duck is pretty good there. Would go there for the duck if you are staying there or closeby
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by SP03
Apparently the Peking duck is pretty good there. Would go there for the duck if you are staying there or closeby
Went there last night for the duck. Glad I tried but wouldn’t go out of my way for a return trip. Preferred the duck at Aman SP or Opposite House’s Jing Yaa Tang. I’m going to try the duck at Pen’s Huang Ting today.

Yes—I choose my BJ hotels based on their duck offerings!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by BlackHappy

Went there last night for the duck. Glad I tried but wouldn’t go out of my way for a return trip. Preferred the duck at Aman SP or Opposite House’s Jing Yaa Tang. I’m going to try the duck at Pen’s Huang Ting today.

Yes—I choose my BJ hotels based on their duck offerings!
I liked Huang Ting's duck at pen better than the duck at the Chinese restaurant at the Rosewood.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
It's pretty tough to imagine too many people choosing their Beijing hotel based on the duck.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Any recommendation on hotels for first time Beijing visitors? I've been to BJ a few times myself, but my wife hasn't. We're planning a trip in late April (I believe this is seen as an ideal time to go in terms of weather) and she will be 29 weeks pregnant at the time. What property is likely best suited to look after her needs? Or do you recommend against travelling to Beijing at all given the circumstances?

We're tentatively looking at Aman Summer Palace, Peninsula, Rosewood and possibly the StR as we are Marriott Plats.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Any recommendation on hotels for first time Beijing visitors? I've been to BJ a few times myself, but my wife hasn't. We're planning a trip in late April (I believe this is seen as an ideal time to go in terms of weather) and she will be 29 weeks pregnant at the time. What property is likely best suited to look after her needs? Or do you recommend against travelling to Beijing at all given the circumstances?

We're tentatively looking at Aman Summer Palace, Peninsula, Rosewood and possibly the StR as we are Marriott Plats.
I am really a fan of the newly renovated pensinsula, the rooms are spacious (essentially every room is a suite), the decor is modern. And from my experience the service was really good too.
The location is centrally located for tourists, you are able to walk to many of the majour tourist attractions.

Rosewood is nice if you like having a club lounge, the manor club is a great club lounge with a cool atmosphere and good food offerings. And I really enjoyed the breakfast spread at the Rosewood too, however, location wise it's not as ideal for tourists in my opinion
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:36 pm

I agree that location is especially important in Beijing because the traffic is often nasty, but I'm not a fan of wangfujing because it's comprised of tourist spots and not much else (e.g almost nobody lives or hangs out there, the dining scene doesn't hold a candle to chaoyang, and exploring places outside of town takes a lot more time v staying on third ring).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I too am confused about the best option in Beijing. We are 20-somethings and care more about restaurants/bars/trendy areas more than being next to the sights. Would like to be able to walk out of the hotel and be in a nice, fun area (that isn't Times Square-esque). We can always take cabs to the sights during the day. What is best with that in mind? Never having been to Beijing and not understanding the neighborhoods fully, the choice is somewhat daunting.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I too am confused about the best option in Beijing. We are 20-somethings and care more about restaurants/bars/trendy areas more than being next to the sights. Would like to be able to walk out of the hotel and be in a nice, fun area (that isn't Times Square-esque). We can always take cabs to the sights during the day. What is best with that in mind? Never having been to Beijing and not understanding the neighborhoods fully, the choice is somewhat daunting.
That walk out of hotel into restaurant/ bars area would be sanlitun and in particular taikoo li and the workers stadium area ( north and west sides). Restaurants and bars are scattered so you would need to at least preplan somewhat.

the Wangfujing area as moondog says is another walk out of hotel into restaurants but not bars unless in hotels I guess . But if you’re travelling March or April the new mandarin oriental Wangfujing may well be finally opened and there is a restaurant ( can’t remem the name ) in the same building named WF Central that serves wonderful Beijing Duck and comes with delicious condiments - 2nd or 3 rd floor , next to or few doors away from a Japanese restaurant.
the above would be where the luxury digs are. ( also search for the Pu Xuan hotel another new hotel - should be opening soon .)

as for other bars and restaurants , it’s all over Beijing , really depends what you’re looking for. You will find the Hutong areas in the North part particularly interesting too . As for the South side , try the Fairly new Muji hotel ( not luxury in the usual sense but it’s Muji ) and their rooftop restaurant for a view of the Qianmen / Tiananmen area. The area around it has also been done up called “ Beijing Fun “

then of course theres the university areas on the North West side , wudaokou and bars / restaurants for the university students crowd .

callmedtop likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
then of course theres the university areas on the North West side , wudaokou and bars / restaurants for the university students crowd .
Since he's still in his 20s, wudaokou would provide a fun night, but I wouldn't dream of actually staying up there, even in a super nice hotel (assuming one existed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.