Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Anyone have thoughts on The Peninsula Beijing? It seems to be centrally located and looks phenomenal after the renovation. I'll be in town for 3 nights in mid-April - starting to look at accommodations now. Looking to stay at a 5-star luxury hotel that isn't too far from the center of Beijing and interested in any opinions, as the only other time I visited, we stayed at a cheap 3-star hotel that I wasn't thrilled with.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Anyone have thoughts on The Peninsula Beijing? It seems to be centrally located and looks phenomenal after the renovation. I'll be in town for 3 nights in mid-April - starting to look at accommodations now. Looking to stay at a 5-star luxury hotel that isn't too far from the center of Beijing and interested in any opinions, as the only other time I visited, we stayed at a cheap 3-star hotel that I wasn't thrilled with.
The current Penn was built as the Palace Hotel in the late 80s, and was not a five star property in the Western sense. Actually, the same applies to Rosewood, and people seem to like it enough. What are your travel objectives? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of downtown because I've seem all the sights many times, and there isn't much to do at night, but other people obviously care about the sights.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by moondog
The current Penn was built as the Palace Hotel in the late 80s, and was not a five star property in the Western sense. Actually, the same applies to Rosewood, and people seem to like it enough. What are your travel objectives? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of downtown because I've seem all the sights many times, and there isn't much to do at night, but other people obviously care about the sights.
I have 2 full days in Beijing. I mainly care about eating great food, and I would like to see the Forbidden City again if I can, since the last time I did it we were running around in a downpour that dropped half a foot of rain. Otherwise, I would like to take it relatively easy (so the quality of the hotel amenities itself is important).
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I have 2 full days in Beijing. I mainly care about eating great food, and I would like to see the Forbidden City again if I can, since the last time I did it we were running around in a downpour that dropped half a foot of rain. Otherwise, I would like to take it relatively easy (so the quality of the hotel amenities itself is important).
Staying downtown makes sense for you because you can have lunch at Made in China and dinner/drinks somewhere kind of cool. Please check out my "one day in Beijing" thread.

Eta: I suggest the GH in your case. The location is awesome for a short stay.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:55 pm

Does anyone know if the 4th night free promo is coming back for Rosewood via AMEX FHR for 2019?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Just saw that Bvlgari has opened a new property in Beijing. Design of the swimming pool is exactly the same as London. But location is not so good, far from Central Business District and far from the Forbideen City.
What's the deal with this hotel? Is it part of the Marriott brand? I see it listed on Marriott's site but there are no redemption option to use points there.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kapooncha
What's the deal with this hotel? Is it part of the Marriott brand? I see it listed on Marriott's site but there are no redemption option to use points there.
Exempt from participating in the Marriott loyalty program.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:56 am

As Aventine notes, they do not participate in the loyalty program, so there is no point in pursuing (nonexistent) rewards there.

Stick with the Chaoyang Westin for your trip. If you only had a 2-3 day stay planned, I could endorse the downtown hotels, but since you're planning on 7 nights, you'll certainly appreciate the benefits of residing in Chaoyang.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:00 am
Suspended

As Aventine notes, they do not participate in the loyalty program, so there is no point in pursuing (nonexistent) rewards there.

Stick with the Chaoyang Westin for your trip. If you only had a 2-3 day stay planned, I could endorse the downtown hotels, but since you're planning on 7 nights, you'll certainly appreciate the benefits of residing in Chaoyang.
Chao W is booked. I'm debating whether to get another hotel close to the forbidden city just for 2 nights so I don't have to deal with traffic or transport.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:12 am

Chao W is booked. I'm debating whether to get another hotel close to the forbidden city just for 2 nights so I don't have to deal with traffic or transport.
Don't bother. You can simply go down there (from the Westin) in the morning, walk north, and then head back to the Westin at the end of the day. If you stay downtown, you will be pretty much trapped there (not cool if you want to make the most out of 7 days).

ETA: St. Regis is pretty much on par with Chaoyang Westin
-I like both for different reasons
-my friends are honestly split down the middle
-Westin is best for a 7 night stay

Last edited by moondog; Dec 28, 2018 at 1:24 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:15 am
Suspended

Don't bother. You can simply go down there (from the Westin) in the morning, walk north, and then head back to the Westin at the end of the day. If you stay downtown, you will be pretty much trapped there (not cool if you want to make the most out of 7 days).

I looked at the StR but alas it's 1 category above my certificate. I could upgrade but not really sure it's worth it.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA - Blue

I have to be honest, I've not stayed at either of these hotels, but I would be surprised if the Westin is as good as the StR....I've stayed the JW Marriott next to the StR, and that is superior to the Westin in almost every aspect, and the StR is marketed as one notch higher (and certainly other StRs would be).

tb
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trueblu
I have to be honest, I've not stayed at either of these hotels, but I would be surprised if the Westin is as good as the StR....I've stayed the JW Marriott next to the StR, and that is superior to the Westin in almost every aspect, and the StR is marketed as one notch higher (and certainly other StRs would be).

tb
Based on interactions with moondog, I think location is probably #1 on his list of priorities, especially when it comes to a first time visitor asking for advice (like I was).
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu

tb
Are you sure you're not thinking of the RC and JW at China Central Place? I don't know of any other western chain hotels near the St. Regis. I certainly don't dislike the St. Regis; in fact it's close to Ritan Park, which is quite nice, and there are also some decent restaurants north of the Citic building, but its subway access isn't so great, and traffic can be bad on both Guanghua Rd and Chang'an Jie. I also have a slight preference for modern (Westin) over classic (St. Regis), but I realize this is a personal thing.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Are you sure you're not thinking of the RC and JW at China Central Place? I don't know of any other western chain hotels near the St. Regis. I certainly don't dislike the St. Regis; in fact it's close to Ritan Park, which is quite nice, and there are also some decent restaurants north of the Citic building, but its subway access isn't so great, and traffic can be bad on both Guanghua Rd and Chang'an Jie. I also have a slight preference for modern (Westin) over classic (St. Regis), but I realize this is a personal thing.

You're right, I was thinking of the RC...but again, I would be surprised if the Westin is better than the StR, other than location. For example, the Westin's restaurants, although incredibly popular, are "meh" imo, and I suspect that goes for much of the rest of the property...

tb
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.