Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Beijing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: QFF SG, Kris Flyer Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
Of those choices, I would go with the GH because of the mall (which has a good food court some decent restaurants), the pool, and the subway station (though line 1 won't get you to Qianmen, and transferring is dumb... almost better to walk from Wangfujing itself or Tiananmen East, which is one stop away).

The Raffles is just across the (small) street from Oriental Plaza, so the location is basically the same as the GH. I just don't like that hotel very much (subjective, I know).

Meanwhile, the Penn and Hilton are about 5-10 minutes away to the north. Of these two, I prefer the Hilton because it is newer, but the GH still wins in terms of convenience factor.

That brings us to the New World. Nice hotel, and I suppose it's nice to be close to your work place, but the location is pretty poor IMO.

In terms of walking around Beijing in June, sure it gets hot, but it's usually a dry heat, so bearable. I happen to enjoy Beijing summers.
Thanks Moondog for the very comprehensive answer. GH sounds like the winner.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Any updates on Beijing luxury hotels?

I'll be going back to Beijing for the first time in nearly 10 years. Purpose of trip is sightseeing, so want something convenient to tourist sites, not necessarily the business district.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover

I'll be going back to Beijing for the first time in nearly 10 years. Purpose of trip is sightseeing, so want something convenient to tourist sites, not necessarily the business district.
Not much change, although Rosewood is proving to be very good!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: QFF SG, Kris Flyer Silver
Originally Posted by MegatopLover

I ended up at the New World Beijing hotel for my recent trip due to proximity to where I needed to be for work. The hard product was very good although service was inconsistent. Note only some of the staff speaks proficient English. The club lounge was a nice place in the evening for a drink. Location of hotel was convenient for sightseeing but if you want to be right in the action of Wanfujing, then GH is the place to stay.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no "action" in WFJ, guys (need go further east for that).
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Researching a bit, I saw on Peninsula.com that The Peninsula Beijing is undergoing a major refurbishment of rooms and public areas, with the hotel staying open for the duration but areas progressively closed over the next 12-18 months. I hoping this eradicates the heavy-handed Communist era architecture and design, replacing it with something a bit more like Peninsula Hong Kong or Peninsula Shanghai. If anyone knows more, or sees the results as they are unveiled, updates to this thread would be appreciated.

There is no "action" in WFJ, guys (need go further east for that).
What kind of action are you referring to? Where can it be found?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moondog replying to >
Originally Posted by SYD-YYZ
if you want to be right in the action of Wanfujing, then GH is the place to stay.
http://www.hshgroup.com/en/~/media/F...1_2015Q1E.ashx

11 MAY, 2015

room inventory of The Peninsula Beijing was reduced from 525 to 305 rooms from January 2015 because of the start of the renovation.
annual report >

The major RMB 890 [USD 143] million renovation for The Peninsula Beijing is due to begin in 2015. The design process and preparations are well underway for the renovation which will significantly enhance the guest rooms and public areas of the hotel up to current Peninsula standards, with most room sizes being doubled by combining two existing guestrooms into one larger guestroom. We believe that the resultant product will place us at the top of the Beijing market, as has been experienced with The Peninsula Shanghai. In Chicago, the US$35.7 million guestroom renovation programme will begin in 2015 and will result in a complete refit of all guestrooms up to current Peninsula standards. After these renovations, both The Peninsula Beijing and The Peninsula Chicago will have our latest in-room technology installed, offering easy-to-use tablet controls in 11 different languages.

a major RMB 890 [USD 143] million renovation for The Peninsula Beijing is due to begin in 2015. We have begun the design process and preparation for the renovation which will result in an increase in the room size, by combining two smaller guestrooms into one larger one, and improving the public areas and associated services

Peninsula Academy ... exclusive access to a private chamber in Beijing’s Forbidden City
"most room sizes being doubled by combining two existing guestrooms into one larger guestroom"
all room categories will be combined? rooms are 31/34m2. suites are 50/68/80/100/660m2.

beijing USD 143 million / ? rooms (after renovation)
$193K = hong kong USD 58 million / 300 rooms
$105K = chicago $35.7m / 339 rooms

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 26, 2015 at 7:08 am
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:50 am

For Beijing in this segment , ild go for Rosewood and Waldorf Astoria.
Those who prefer the Wangfujing area ought to go for the WA but do avoid the corner rooms ( weird config ) and the open air terrace rooms (bad use of space ) .
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:55 pm

My friend and I will be visiting Beijing December 23-28 or 29 to do all the toursity things. Being from NYC I like walking out my door and feeling like I'm in a real city (and not touristy McDonald's/H&M land).

The budget is about $175/max per night. I read upthread against staying at the Orchid and Wangfujing seems too touristy for my tastes. Is there an area/hotel that you would recommend? It seems like the Arts District (NUO, Grace, East Beijing) is too far out.

Hotels that seem to be in my price range are:

Grand Hyatt
New World Beijing Hotel
Kerry Hotel
Renaissance Beijing Capital
Grand Millennium
JW Marriott Central

Feel free to suggest more/dissuade me from the above! Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:59 am

Rosewood is my favorite in Beijing, but a good 15 $ a night over your budget. Have you taken a booking through Virtuoso or FHR into consideration? That would effectively include many amenities that you would otherwise have to pay for, such as breakfast.

From your list, the Grand Hyatt is the best option, solid hotel, the rest are 5*, hardly luxury hotels.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by scented
Rosewood is my favorite in Beijing, but a good 15 $ a night over your budget. Have you taken a booking through Virtuoso or FHR into consideration? That would effectively include many amenities that you would otherwise have to pay for, such as breakfast.

From your list, the Grand Hyatt is the best option, solid hotel, the rest are 5*, hardly luxury hotels.
She specifically ruled out Wangfujing. In light of this, Millennium or Kerry would be my picks based on her list.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NYCRachel

Grand Hyatt
New World Beijing Hotel
Kerry Hotel
Grand Millennium
JW Marriott Central

None of those are luxury hotels though. Given the $175 budget, I would say the best option is Cash+Points in Park Hyatt.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
My friend and I will be visiting Beijing December 23-28 or 29 to do all the toursity things. Being from NYC I like walking out my door and feeling like I'm in a real city (and not touristy McDonald's/H&M land).

The budget is about $175/max per night. I read upthread against staying at the Orchid and Wangfujing seems too touristy for my tastes. Is there an area/hotel that you would recommend? It seems like the Arts District (NUO, Grace, East Beijing) is too far out.

Hotels that seem to be in my price range are:

Grand Hyatt
New World Beijing Hotel
Kerry Hotel
Grand Millennium
JW Marriott Central

I stayed at the JW Marriott Beijing Central two weeks ago on the weekend and didn't really love it. It seems like a great business hotel, but its quite a haul to walk to any attractions and the atmosphere, at least on the weekends is not what I expected from a Western hotel chain. The rooms are spacious, almost comically so. There was no hotel bar to speak of. I guess my biggest turn off was the location. I didn't realize when I booked that the blocks in Beijing are enormous. Probably 1km on each side. So attractions that seem nearby on a map can actually be a good 30-40 minute walk away. Also, it can be hard enough to find a taxi in Beijing under normal circumstances, but most taxi drivers we encountered didn't know where the hotel was. Its pretty far outside the typical tourist areas, and not necessarily in a good way. Maybe I missed the underlying charm of the area we were in... but I'll probably choose another hotel next time I visit Beijing.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:00 pm

She specifically ruled out Wangfujing. In light of this, Millennium or Kerry would be my picks based on her list.
Thanks. They're in nice areas?

It looks like Opposite House just dropped their rates (182/night not including taxes) to just outside my budget.... worth springing for?

Rosewood is $212 a night without taxes, so I'll have to rule it out, for now.

I don't have an Amex Platinum (just their Delta Platinum) so I can't take advantage of their program. I haven't used Virtuoso, but will check it out.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en...courtyard.html
just noticed that waldorf has 3-room hutong wing with screening room and event room
there is also actual private villa, with 2BR and private pool, presumably costs a fortune

at aman, the top suite has private courtyard
now mentions 4BRs with private courtyards
and 2BRs "with a large shared living area"

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 30, 2015 at 10:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.