Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Emirates Wolgan Valley Trip Report (New South Wales, Australia)

Emirates Wolgan Valley Trip Report (New South Wales, Australia)

Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:32 am

Thank you, appreciate the response. I am really looking forward to this as we had such a great experience at the Saffire and I don't think I saw a single fly on the entire trip. If you are looking for a similar resort in Tasmania, I would recommend the Saffire highly.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Thank you, appreciate the response. I am really looking forward to this as we had such a great experience at the Saffire and I don't think I saw a single fly on the entire trip. If you are looking for a similar resort in Tasmania, I would recommend the Saffire highly.
The Saffire looks amazing, will definitely be at he top of my list next time we visit Australia. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by Ericka
Looks like reason enough to go to Australia! Thank you for this truly exceptional report and pictures.

This property has been on my bucket list for a while now. We're just waiting for an equally worthy Great Barrier Reef resort.
Try Lizard Island!!We really liked it, great food/beach/people

Mary
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:10 pm

[QUOTE=sfoactuary;21804239]Regarding the fly situation, it is definitely tolerable but at least for me was a big enough nuisance to take away from my enjoyment being outdoors. Basically, anytime we were outside and either sedentary or just walking, the flies would swarm around us.

Reading your trip report: sounds fantastic and we will be there end of January 2014.

Re the flies: is that seasonal, do you know, or all year long? We've stayed on Tasmania at Saffire, SOL,(kangaroo island) and Lord Howe island: never seen a fly.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:26 am

We visited Wolgan Valley in early March and had no issues with flies. It was a wonderful resort and the highlight of our time in Australia.
The weather was perfect in early fall, warm days and cool evenings. The resort was very quiet. I can't think of a nicer time of year to have been there!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:43 am

Flies are generally only a problem in NSW in the summer months. Not sure about other states. It's mainly inland in the outback and it's due to the large wildlife population I believe.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Flies are generally only a problem in NSW in the summer months. Not sure about other states. It's mainly inland in the outback and it's due to the large wildlife population I believe.
Now we know why they call it Fly-er talk!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:33 pm

Programs: QF CL
I'm a Melbourne girl and the tradition here is that the flies arrive on Boxing Day.

Actually, they usually arrive earlier.

But we have nothing like the Fly Density Quotient of more northerly/inland locations.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Great trip report, thanks. We're on 6 acres close to the Blue Mountains so it's like my own backyard. We have wallabies (like small kangaroos) living around us.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: *G on Voyager & Thai
Thank you sfoactuary for your detailed trip report. I had already noted Emirates Wolgan Valley as I read a few articles about it, but your report brought it to life and has really filled me with enthusiasm. I can't wait to go there, and will shift around my next visit to Sydney (and take my wife) so we can spend a few days there. Thanks again for your insights.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
We have been there in March/April and October/November and never had any flies.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by overrun
Thank you sfoactuary for your detailed trip report. I had already noted Emirates Wolgan Valley as I read a few articles about it, but your report brought it to life and has really filled me with enthusiasm. I can't wait to go there, and will shift around my next visit to Sydney (and take my wife) so we can spend a few days there. Thanks again for your insights.
I'm so glad that I could help bring everything to life, it's really an amazing experience and I'm glad you've decided to go!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:45 am

We just wrapped up a wonderful stay at Wolgan over Xmas holidays. We enjoyed it immensely and would like to be back though we probably would prefer the Saffire in Tasmania a bit more. The service is fantastic and everyone we met were helpful and professional. The villas are also a joy to stay in and I can easily spend a couple days there just chilling by the pool and read.

The flies did spoil the experience a little especially during outdoor activities. During our 5 nights stay, the flies were an issue on only some of the days and during certain times of the day. When they are out, they do buzz around your ears and are a nuisance. I would still choose to go hiking but I think picnic may be tough when you are not moving around. When they are not around, the experience is much more enjoyable. The food was good though not outstanding and Saffire is better in this department. The food also got a bit boring on the fifth day as many of the a la carte items do not change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.