Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Biarrtiz's area, France

Biarrtiz's area, France

Old Oct 14, 13, 4:07 pm
Formerly known as cedricgerald
Original Poster

Biarrtiz's area, France

Beside "hotel du Palais", is there any luxury hotel for a romantic week end in Biarritz's area ? thank you so much
Old Oct 14, 13, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by cedricgerald View Post
Beside "hotel du Palais", is there any luxury hotel for a romantic week end in Biarritz's area ? thank you so much
If you're looking for a seaside hotel, l'hotel du Palais is the safest best (now Orient Express managed).
If looking for something less "stately" or quieter in terms of crowd (though at this time of the year Biarritz will be empty), you can have a look at the two relais chateaux properties in the area. The one in Biarritz Anglet (chateau de brindots) is facing a lake and visiting the restaurant facing the lake would be a good option if not staying there.
The second one, in St Jean de Luz (hotel du parc Victoria), is just a stunning property. An XIXth century hotel particulier with beautiful grounds with good service, something not always guaranteed with the R C brand

My vote would go to St Jean de Luz, because i find the destination to be more romantic than Biarritz. Quieter, better sights and superior fauna and flora.
And bring something warm because it'll be freezing !
Old Oct 15, 13, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vincentb89 View Post
If you're looking for a seaside hotel, l'hotel du Palais is the safest best (now Orient Express managed).
If looking for something less "stately" or quieter in terms of crowd (though at this time of the year Biarritz will be empty), you can have a look at the two relais chateaux properties in the area. The one in Biarritz Anglet (chateau de brindots) is facing a lake and visiting the restaurant facing the lake would be a good option if not staying there.
The second one, in St Jean de Luz (hotel du parc Victoria), is just a stunning property. An XIXth century hotel particulier with beautiful grounds with good service, something not always guaranteed with the R C brand

My vote would go to St Jean de Luz, because i find the destination to be more romantic than Biarritz. Quieter, better sights and superior fauna and flora.
And bring something warm because it'll be freezing !
Thank you so much, that's perfect.
Old Oct 23, 13, 11:29 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I second the Hotel du Parc Victoria in st Jean de Luz. It is a very nice spot!
Old Oct 28, 13, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you again for your advices.

Unfortunately I didn't sleep in any of these 2 hotels but had lunch in both.

Brindos : The lake view is lovely.
The food is nice.
The desert had some alcohol but was told that we don't feel it as the wife doesn't like alcohol.
The desert came and we can feel the alcohol. My wife didn't eat it and left the plate almost untouched.
They just picked up the plate, no question asked by any of the staff.
They were not busy
They did mention that we don't feel it.
Regardless of that, a restaurant who picked up an untouched plate without asking what's wrong is not very service oriented.
Beside this point, the food was good, the service acceptable, the view lovely.

- Victoria : little paradise.
Lunch around the pool with all the different trees & flowers was really a great experience. (The hotels photos don't give it justice)
The food was also very tasty.
The property's grounds are also beautiful.
Would love to go again.
Old Oct 30, 13, 11:53 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,

Brindos : The lake view is lovely.
The food is nice.
The desert had some alcohol but was told that we don't feel it as the wife doesn't like alcohol.
The desert came and we can feel the alcohol. My wife didn't eat it and left the plate almost untouched.
They just picked up the plate, no question asked by any of the staff.
They were not busy
They did mention that we don't feel it.
Regardless of that, a restaurant who picked up an untouched plate without asking what's wrong is not very service oriented.
Beside this point, the food was good, the service acceptable, the view lovely.

- Victoria : little paradise.
Lunch around the pool with all the different trees & flowers was really a great experience. (The hotels photos don't give it justice)
The food was also very tasty.
The property's grounds are also beautiful.
Would love to go again.
Glad you enjoyed the Victoria. I really loved this spot as well!
Old Oct 31, 13, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to the R&C properties, there are also some small and romatic but modest hotels with top restaurants in the area, especially as you go into the Basque area close to the Spanish border, both along the coast and up in the hills. Don't expect true luxury but these sorts of places can be better experiences than some of the more renowned hotels.

I was never very impression by the Hotel du Palais or Biarritz itself, but I haven't been there since the hotel became an Orient Express property. I would assume that the Orient Express affiliation is very good news.
Old Oct 31, 13, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
In addition to the R&C properties, there are also some small and romatic but modest hotels with top restaurants in the area, especially as you go into the Basque area close to the Spanish border, both along the coast and up in the hills. Don't expect true luxury but these sorts of places can be better experiences than some of the more renowned hotels.

I was never very impression by the Hotel du Palais or Biarritz itself, but I haven't been there since the hotel became an Orient Express property. I would assume that the Orient Express affiliation is very good news.
Thank you for these info.

I found the Hotel du Palais rates too high, we're off season and the lead room starts at Euro 450.
Sofitel Miramar rates are similar.

If we compare with Cannes, the lead room rates of 5 stars hotels are less than half now
Old Oct 31, 13, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

follow up report two weeks later, nice!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
for example >
http://www.departures.com/luxury-vac...basque-country
Old Oct 31, 13, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
follow up report two weeks later, nice!

for example >
http://www.departures.com/luxury-vac...basque-country
Thank you Kage, great article.

Speaking about food in this area, we had dinner once at "l'atelier" in Biarritz
Went there only because of their michelin star
it was disappointing
One of the reason is the size of the dish are the same SMALL size for the 6 - 8 dishes tasting menu than " la carte"
Usually la carte are full size dish and tasting menu are smaller portion.

Also it's the only restaurant I have been where they don't serve coke nor pepsi nor cola. Welcome to the twilight zone .....

Does anyone know any restaurant in the "modern world" with no coke / pepsi ?

The food itself is good (not very good but good). I love the fish (again small but well cooked)
The desert looks like a Picasso painting (in other word not very organized, sorry Pablo) and their signature "green curry" desert was not to my taste.

The service was so so.

l'atelier was fun : I called at 9 am, spoke with someone and book a table for the same saturday evening, done / confirmed.
They called me at 10 am to ask me if I'll come tonight..

Brindos was also fun in their way : when I called them I had to wait 10 rings before they picked up the phone. Was wondering if I had the right number.

The big question that I often ask myself after a new hotel stay or restaurant is will I come back ?
The majority of the time the reply is no. L'atelier & brindos are parts of the majority

Seems that I become old now as I want to stick with the same places over and over
Old Oct 31, 13, 3:43 pm

it was disappointing
One of the reason is the size of the dish are the same SMALL size for the 6 - 8 dishes tasting menu than " la carte"

Also it's the only restaurant I have been where they don't serve coke nor pepsi nor cola. Welcome to the twilight zone .....

The food itself is good (not very good but good). I love the fish (again small but well cooked)
The desert looks like a Picasso painting (in other word not very organized, sorry Pablo) and their signature "green curry" desert was not to my taste.

The service was so so.

l'atelier was fun : I called at 9 am, spoke with someone and book a table for the same saturday evening, done / confirmed.

Brindos was also fun in their way : when I called them I had to wait 10 rings before they picked up the phone. Was wondering if I had the right number.

The big question that I often ask myself after a new hotel stay or restaurant is will I come back ?
The majority of the time the reply is no. L'atelier & brindos are parts of the majority

Seems that I become old now as I want to stick with the same places over and over
As long as you enjoyed l'hotel du Parc Victoria, it's fine . I like the private estate feel !
Old Nov 2, 13, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others

it was disappointing

The service was so so.

I have to tell you, when I saw the OP's first post, my initial thought was to suggest driving straight through Biarritz into Spain and proceed to San Sebastian instead, which is just better on all counts in my opinion.
Old Nov 2, 13, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by grumbler View Post
I have to tell you, when I saw the OP's first post, my initial thought was to suggest driving straight through Biarritz into Spain and proceed to San Sebastian instead, which is just better on all counts in my opinion.
I agree. The Maria Christina is an excellent hotel, and the restaurants in Donostia are just stunningly good.
Old Nov 2, 13, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

As long as you enjoyed l'hotel du Parc Victoria, it's fine . I like the private estate feel !
Yes I liked it very much, thank you very much for the great advices.
Old Nov 2, 13, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grumbler View Post
Yes I was thinking of that, liked the starwood FHR in San Sebastiane but didn't want to drive back & forth. Also I had a business meeting in biarritz on monday.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: