Wiki Posts
Search

The Brando (French Polynesia)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
If you can read it an article about The Brando in German: http://www.sueddeutsche.de/reise/fra...toll-1.2148074
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:26 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Obviously a game changer for French Polynesia, though it remains to be seen if sufficient numbers want to play. Those rather Disneyfied honeymoon conveyor belts on Bora Bora seem to have things sewn up and this place seems a bit too classy for newly-weds from Minnesota. Dontcha think?
Well, in order to be a game changer, the place would actually have to change the game. And I don't really see that. What I see is a lovely location, but a mediocre resort that looks like it could be anywhere. Further, the price point is too high for what is offered and service seems to be less than stellar.

You may not think Minnesotans have class (), but one thing they do tend to have is common sense - which would probably prevent them from booking here.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xracer
lovely location...price point is too high for what is offered
comparisons can be surprising >

north/fregate can be €2K more and laucala is $1K more (than brando)

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
private atoll with 12 islands private to resort. this is a first.

brando tetiaroa atoll 35 villas [all-inclusive]
€3423 oct 1 to mar 31 2016
includes one excursion per day and one spa treatment per day [per couple]

$2745 10 night minimum 1BR no pool no view amanyara dec 20 2014 - jan 6 2015
amanpulo high season (7 night minimum from dec 20 - jan 5, with high occupancy)
$2640 pool villa (although does include dedicated staff)
$2125 beach casita (no pool) incl board (not alcohol) 3 activities in 5 nts then 1 per nt

cheval blanc high season (xmas/nye MUCH higher than this)
$3294 water villa
$3843 garden water villa
$4026 island villa
plus very expensive F&B

$3037 looks like current rate for FS golden triangle, and IIRC its F&B is poorly regarded here
high season rates for new aman in europe
as well as many much larger luxury resorts
twin farms and the point are luxury all-inclusive not on beach
"one excursion per day" inclusion may compare to safari-style
and not even getting into city hotels in france, new york, russia

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 6, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:46 pm

comparisons can be surprising >
north/fregate can be €2K more and laucala is $1K more than brando
I think both of these are priced high as well. But they both have some very unique build characteristics that make them potentially worthwhile. To me, The Brando just looks...average (except for the location, of course).

Plus, I don't think it's really a fair comparison to take the ultra-high, high season rates at other resorts and to compare them to the year-round rates at the Brando. Most of us (who are wise) do not frequent those other resorts during the highest of the high seasons (mainly because of occupancy levels).
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think both of these are priced high as well. But they both have some very unique build characteristics that make them potentially worthwhile. To me, The Brando just looks...average (except for the location, of course).
the location (12 private islands) is the cost
cost would be lower if more rooms, higher if fewer rooms

I don't think it's really a fair comparison to take the ultra-high, high season rates at other resorts and to compare them to the year-round rates at the Brando. Most of us (who are wise) do not frequent those other resorts during the highest of the high seasons (mainly because of occupancy levels).
comparisons have to be specific

many here travel over holiday and peak season
annual rates mean no holiday/peak premium
all-inclusive can be about convenience

12 private islands = low density
fewer rooms = lower maximum occupancy

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 6, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:23 pm

the location (12 private islands) is the cost
cost would be lower if more rooms, higher if fewer rooms

comparisons have to be specific.

many here travel over holiday and peak season.
annual rates mean no holiday/peak premium.
all-inclusive can be about convenience.

12 private islands = low density.
fewer rooms = lower maximum occupancy.

different people value different things a different amount.
Small amount of rooms and remote location are important. But not enough. The resort itself also has to be unique and better then average in design. Service also has to be excellent.

And of course, anything I say here is my opinion and mine alone. It goes without saying that others will value things differently.

In my opinion, comparisons that do not encompass all of the price fluctuations are not complete. Although I know this would be difficult to do.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

design could have been more expensive

Small amount of rooms and remote location are important.
how one feels about room counts is definitely big variable
(separate from resort accommodations providing privacy)

In my opinion, comparisons that do not encompass all of the price fluctuations are not complete. Although I know this would be difficult to do.
when price of something is considered high, its being compared to something
wasnt sure what properties (rates/inclusions) were being compared to brando
i did compare the inclusions of north, fregate, laucala, brando, necker, wakaya

probably the only reason i did not do brando during soft opening period is flights (i fly paid economy)

Originally Posted by lb8001
My TA...said I'd like it...not many people
something that can be valuable to me as well
privacy is a hard cost (plus most aman for example targeted lower occupancy)

maldives and bora bora do not offer low density at high price
i bet no low-density in maldives because only leasehold & joint-venture, and perhaps sea level

brando transfers
jul 1 to mar 31 2015 €598 per couple
apr 1 to mar 31 2016 €1194 per couple
vs
cheval blanc maldives - $3660 per couple
laucala - $2880 per couple
cheval blanc transfers now $4636 per couple peak season
they do now publish transfers on regular plane for $2318

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 6, 2014 at 4:10 pm
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I would love to hear from someone on our forum who has been there or has close hand feedback on the Brando! We are going to FP next summer on the way and way back from the Cook Islands and are " thinking" of staying there for 3 - 4 nights. We have been to Hotel Bora Bora in the " old days" and are not too interested in the newer large hotels ( 4 Seasons, St Regis, etc). Maybe I am making a mistake and if so please comment!

I know they seem great, but I am worried about the crowded nature of BOra Bora these days and for us, I think I would prefer to remember it the way it was. We are thinking of le Tahaa ( if anyone knows), or the Brando. Any feedback would be much appreciated! We even thought of Kia Oro which I know is not luxury necessarily, but we have not been to the Tuamotoes! Of course on paper ( aside from price) the Brando seems to tick the boxes, but really have no idea! Any comments are much appreciated as I trust you all!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Larkin - These days I much prefer the Tuamotus to anywhere else in French Polynesia and one of those islands would make a lovely contrast to the Cook Islands. I've been to maybe a dozen of the Taumotus but few have proper hotels and of those I greatly favour Tikehau over Rangiroa. On Tikehau you have two choices - the Pearl resort, which is lovely, and also Ninamu where I've not stayed but people tend to adore it.

The atolls of the Tuamotus are stunning - the vast emptiness, the utter remoteness, the incredible colours of the lagoons are unforgettable. Unless you have a craving for Bora Bora I'd steer clear these days. My last two visits have been day-trips from expedition cruise ships thus avoiding the hotels.

Of course, The Brando on Tetiaroa is also an atoll . . .
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
I would love to hear from someone on our forum who has been there or has close hand feedback on the Brando! We are going to FP next summer on the way and way back from the Cook Islands and are " thinking" of staying there for 3 - 4 nights. We have been to Hotel Bora Bora in the " old days" and are not too interested in the newer large hotels ( 4 Seasons, St Regis, etc). Maybe I am making a mistake and if so please comment!

I know they seem great, but I am worried about the crowded nature of BOra Bora these days and for us, I think I would prefer to remember it the way it was. We are thinking of le Tahaa ( if anyone knows), or the Brando. Any feedback would be much appreciated! We even thought of Kia Oro which I know is not luxury necessarily, but we have not been to the Tuamotoes! Of course on paper ( aside from price) the Brando seems to tick the boxes, but really have no idea! Any comments are much appreciated as I trust you all!
I can recommend this place on Fakarava. www.raimiti.com
A really special place far away from everything.

Last edited by landing; Oct 10, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
larkin, my TA was at the Brando in July and was extremely impressed. I may be going myself within the next few weeks (or next spring). She said it is very private/quiet/discreet (things that very much matter to me) - each villa has its own pool and beach area. Sounding proofing in the villas is outstanding. Food is excellent and served wherever you want it/whenever you want it. She thought the staff provided extremely good service - not pretentious at all but learned/anticipated guests' likes and were great to interact with. She is an avid diver, as I am, but didn't go diving there. She did go snorkeling and on a whale watching trip and said they were very well done. About a 20 min flight from PPT to the resort. The all-inclusive price was very all-inclusive, internet speed was fast enough to get work done. I will be glad to report when I visit and try to get good photos.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Larkin - These days I much prefer the Tuamotus to anywhere else in French Polynesia and one of those islands would make a lovely contrast to the Cook Islands. I've been to maybe a dozen of the Taumotus but few have proper hotels and of those I greatly favour Tikehau over Rangiroa. On Tikehau you have two choices - the Pearl resort, which is lovely, and also Ninamu where I've not stayed but people tend to adore it.

The atolls of the Tuamotus are stunning - the vast emptiness, the utter remoteness, the incredible colours of the lagoons are unforgettable. Unless you have a craving for Bora Bora I'd steer clear these days. My last two visits have been day-trips from expedition cruise ships thus avoiding the hotels.

Of course, The Brando on Tetiaroa is also an atoll . . .
How is the Pearl in Tikahau? We have decided to give the Brando a go for the last 3-4 nights of our trip. Now we are debating between quite different choices - le Tahaa, FS Bora Bora ( but afraid too large for our tastes even though I am sure it meets the luxury std, and have been to BB before at the old BB Hotel which we loved), or Kia Oro or Pearl Tikahau for a more adventurous opportunity to see something different ( Tuamotos) understanding sacrificing a bit if luxury for the adventure, remoteness, and great diving and snorkling? And then ending with Brando. Any comments?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Larkin - The Tikehau Pearl is fine, not luxury in the terms of this Forum, but in tune with the location. We had a beach bungalow and were perfectly happy with it - but I'm biased against OWBs. If I went back I'd try Ninamu which looks far more interesting and it's all-inclusive, I think.

But for your overall trip, think landscapes. If you're in the Cooks I presume that means Aitutaki as well as Rarotonga. Aitutaki is gorgeous, one of the best tropical islands we've ever seen. People say it's like a mini Bora Bora and that's probably right but far more laid back and low-key.

I think you can sensibly avoid Bora Bora itself but give some thought to Le Tahaa - the views of Bora Bora are staggering and there are some nice trips to be done from there, including Tahaa itself as well as Raiatea which has some great ancient temples.

Tikehau and Tetiaroa/Brando are both atolls, so a similar landscape, but I'd certainly wouldn't want to miss either.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:50 pm

Even though there is another thread, it's discussing The Brando vs another hotel so I thought I'd post here instead.

First of all, we came from Four Seasons Bora Bora, which I consider just a dreadful hotel. That means everything The Brando does which isn't dreadful will be considered excellent, so that may sway my opinion.

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
I was recently at the Four Seasons Bora Bora, and I was shocked that the main restaurant constantly played some sort of euro-pop music for almost our entire stay. The only local music we heard in the resort was for weddings and on Polynesian Night!
Sadly still the case.

However, even taking that into consideration, I'm really impressed with what they offer and think in comparison to competing properties they even offer excellent value for money - all inclusive with a daily spa treatment and all the activities. It's somewhere in between Amanpulo and Cheval Blanc type property, due to the modern design, but also the emphasis on the natural environment and large vastness of the island. The size of the room at 96 sqm sounded rather small, especially when you compare it to North Island and Laucala being over 450 sqm, but those guys start including decking and all kinds of things to exaggerate it, whereas The Brando is just talking about the room itself. The way they have designed the rooms does not make it feel cramped at all and I'm overwhelmingly a fan of the design and architecture of it.

I shall hope it continues and will write-up more when our stay is finished, as well as upload photos; I'd love to do it now, but their Internet is dreadful and keeps going down.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Member

Does Laucala even HAVE a low season?

Plus, I don't think it's really a fair comparison to take the ultra-high, high season rates at other resorts and to compare them to the year-round rates at the Brando. Most of us (who are wise) do not frequent those other resorts during the highest of the high seasons (mainly because of occupancy levels).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.