Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

Amanoi (Vietnam)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
My , my , Aventine , this is shocking , poor show .
Thankful that Joy is there to hold things up along with few others .

Wonder if ‘ seasoned ‘ therapists left . They were raw when it opened but much improved on our subsequent stays . Who is the spa director now ?
Language was an issue so when Sean was GM , his wife Lindsey , conducted English lessons for the team in small batches . We would note who could speak fair English & ask for them when we called reception .
As for Housekeeping , after we complained . The supervisor would check before we returned to our suite , supposed to for any guest !

Was one of the owners onsite ? They take up a lot of time , one usually was

Our off menu dishes were well executed , we also listened to our ‘ regular ‘ waiters on what we should order after we brought up our potential on menu dishes .

I understand that the long awaited telescope is now on site . Richard D is a happy man to be able to conduct his astronomy sessions like at his at Pulo . And when it is not windy , usually extreme in December & January .
Will definitely check to see when Joy & Richard are around to visit next , and ‘ without the crowd ‘

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jun 11, 2018 at 5:28 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
My , my , Aventine , this is shocking , poor show .
Thankful that Joy is there to hold things up along with few others .

Wonder if ‘ seasoned ‘ therapists left . They were raw when it opened but much improved on our subsequent stays . Who is the spa director now ?
Language was an issue so when Sean was GM , his wife Lindsey , conducted English lessons for the team in small batches . We would note who could speak fair English & ask for them when we called reception .
As for Housekeeping , after we complained . The supervisor would check before we returned to our suite , supposed to for any guest !

Was one of the owners onsite ? They take up a lot of time , one usually was

Our off menu dishes were well executed , we also listened to our ‘ regular ‘ waiters on what we should order after we brought up our potential on menu dishes .

I understand that the long awaited telescope is now on site . Richard D is a happy man to be able to conduct his astronomy sessions like at his at Pulo . And when it is not windy , usually extreme in December & January .
Will definitely check to see when Joy & Richard are around to visit next , and ‘ without the crowd ‘
Maybe an owner was on site? Nicolas did have a dinner on another part of the resort and could not see us off (we were okay with this).

The next day therapists were better but still a bit mediocre for what they were meant to do.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
I'd agree with what BESVISOR said having just returned from Amanoi. Even during our stay, the last day got very, very windy.

My pics are on Instagram: www.instagram.com/chinmoylad

While I'm here, will do a quick report with a full report and photos + videos etc to follow.

Some of the best Aman hardware - or just resort hardware in general. Absolutely stunning design and rooms etc (also new).
Location is stunning, spread across the cliffs. Views are fabulous.
Beach is a bit rough and gets very hot - not soft on the feet at all (lots of washed up coral too), wear slippers. However, the water is very, very nice.
Food was really, really good. Some of the best I've had at the Amans - having said that, we mostly ate Vietnamese. I only had anything non-Vietnamese on the last day for lunch before departure (burger - and it was very average, but the chips were good).
Service was very warm and friendly - the Vietnamese are very nice people. However, it lacks the polish of Indonesia Amans at its very finest - generally speaking, our preferences were taken care of, but they did slip up a few more times than I would have liked, but always rectified very quickly. Not all staff speak English (most do but there are some that don't - but they will always find someone who does very quickly). There were a few instances when they did shine.
There's not too much to do in the area so it really is a come and sit here (or trek/other similar 'active' excursions) kind of place. We were guinea pigs for a new excursion called "Twilight Lounge" although I believe Nicolas is still refining the name. It's Kawayan Bar for Amanoi (minus floating in the middle of the sea part). Very nicely done. I'd liken it somewhat to Goga Peak breakfast if you've tried that out.
Lots of intriguing private dinner places.
Lots of wild animals and little critters about including curious looking (and very brightly coloured) reptiles. I'd suggest not getting too close and being on alert.
How are all of the excursions/adventures priced?

I usually like being able to head out into town to explore and eat a bit. Is the Amanoi too isolated for that where basically you're on the resort the entire time with their restaurants? I'm Vietnamese so my standards of Vietnamese food is pretty high which means if they're charging $40 a dish, it better be damn good.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:35 pm

Gosh, Aventine, this sounds horrific... no excuses, really. I remember Noi fondly and I wish you could say the same but it really sounds as though this was anything but memorable!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phant0m

I usually like being able to head out into town to explore and eat a bit. Is the Amanoi too isolated for that where basically you're on the resort the entire time with their restaurants? I'm Vietnamese so my standards of Vietnamese food is pretty high which means if they're charging $40 a dish, it better be damn good.
I would say the excursions are priced in line with being a luxury resort. I'd definitely pick somewhere else if you want to go into a town and explore a bit because there isn't much of a town unless you travel an hour out of the resort. I just kind of accepted the food being priced for what it is because you really do have no choice unless you bring your own snacks and cup ramen.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:42 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by phant0m

If you're looking for a place 'near town' Amanoi is not it. There's a fishing village around the corner where you could do a lunch or something, but other than that, the closest area is up by the airport (75 min drive) or even further north at Nha Trang (2 hour drive). This is a place for relaxing and hiking, not for exploring around.

The food was excellent and fairly priced - i.e. in line with most Asian Amans; of course it's not cheap, but not exorbitantly pricey - but I stuck to the Vietnamese menu as much as possible, except for the odd breakfast (a burger we had on the last day was very, very average). I've also always found Aman's portions to be quite generous - we could order 2 appetisers and 1 main (or 1 appetiser and 2 mains) and be satisfied.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@bhrubin

I guarantee this property's air con could get to your 17 degrees Celsius. Your husband might need his Moncler though!

I had one unit working for the farside of the villa (dislike wind blowing on my face) and it still cooled the whole thing down. I only wish the thermostat was more than a knob and could tell me some room temperature information.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Handmade Vietnamese rice cake patties with toppings for the complimentary afternoon tea.

The infamously average burger. The beef patty was hard and seemed to be pre-frozen. Definitely not one of my better hotel burgers.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Those rice patties with the baby scallops were fantastic
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Just as a point of reference, if you are looking for a great burger or a great massage, VN should not be on your itinerary. On top of that Noi is in the boonies. If you're looking for a receptionist with posh English or a concierge who can pop out for toiletries or opera tickets, you're at the wrong resort.
FlyerEC, Musken and MattEvan like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think with the new spa/wellness facilities and programs, that, a great massage should not be an unrealistic proposition. They've won awards from different publications so they definitely do want to become a luxury spa destination. Maybe they even think they are already one.

It is a top-notch resort spa but therapists could be better. That's all.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Aventine; Jun 20, 2018 at 1:16 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine

I think with the new spa/wellness facilities and programs, that, a great massage should not be an unrealistic proposition. They've won awards from different publications so they definitely do want to become a luxury spa destination. Maybe they even think they are already one.

It is a top-notch resort spa but therapists could be better. That's all.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm just saying you're not going to find a great massage or great massage therapists in VN. Bali yes. Thailand yes. But there's no massage tradition in VN. The best you'll find is mediocre by Thai standards.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
I'm just saying you're not going to find a great massage or great massage therapists in VN. Bali yes. Thailand yes. But there's no massage tradition in VN. The best you'll find is mediocre by Thai standards.
Yeah, you're probably right about that.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
But for Noi this should hardly be a problem, considering they can source therapists from Puri etc
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scented

But for Noi this should hardly be a problem, considering they can source therapists from Puri etc
That's what they did when they first opened, but the cost is probably at least 10x of local therapists. And....staffing the spa at Puri is an ongoing struggle so I doubt Puri is keen to let any therapists go. And if given the opportunity to transfer, the therapists at Puri would much rather go to Tokyo or Venice where most of them have already been offered positions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.