Search
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

Amanoi (Vietnam)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:10 pm

htang333, discounted rate aside - you're paying big $ to stay there. He should reply swiftly!

Bit surprised frankly that you're not receiving a reply, FlyerEC. Considering your profile and history with Aman, I would expect the GM to dust that email with gold
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scented
htang333, discounted rate aside - you're paying big $ to stay there. He should reply swiftly!

Bit surprised frankly that you're not receiving a reply, FlyerEC. Considering your profile and history with Aman, I would expect the GM to dust that email with gold
What do these new GMs know ??
Just a worrying trend . Un Aman like , dare I say , not the original Aman ethos ..
Usually , for the experienced GMs , their will have their auto reply with apologies & state others one can write to if urgent ..
Am still receiving those prompt replies from senior GMs , so surprised by htang ' s lack of response & manner to his from a senior GM ..
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:45 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Talking

Thanks for the confirmation! Started to feel like I'm taking crazy pills here and being unreasonable.

Also, they didn't offer me breakfast in the discounted rate...again, not a huge deal but I've never known Aman to nickle and dime.
I mean, it's breakfast, in Asia and I'm only 5'11 and 150lb...we're talking about potentially a bowl of Pho/noodles in the morning...not Caviar w/ Dom P2 in a French Michelin Star kitchen.

Of all the inspection/review trips I've been on, this is only the 2nd time I've not been offered breakfast (the other time I was comp'd...happily paid for food!) and am almost paying full rack rate. I better stop or I'm going to write myself out of going...then the wife will kill me for changing plans, again!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Oct 12, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:58 pm

If you go, please let us know if their welcome was at least warmer than the pre-arrival communication. Here's hoping they'll turn it around! Also I'd be really surprised if the breakfast ends up on the bill. They may not offer it in the first place, but to actually charge it is something different.

I just hope that the new Aman... oops, I mean, AMAN, is not taking a bad direction here.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:02 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Well if you can say
" But the lack of acknowledgement troubled me. If anything were to go wrong at a property for my clients I would certainly want the resort to acknowledge it and address the issue promptly. This did not give me confidence in that regard. " , how do you think I feel about a non response from the new GM from one of our favourite Amans ?
This , by the way , is not Kila which I am referring too .
Must be off months in this case ?

Thinking of Nemu too , perhaps wait for the trees to mature ..
Also awaiting too for a reply for suggestions on best time to visit .
So this might be another new Aman trend on receiving tardy replies ( if at all ) with new GMs ??

And , yes , December when you plan on visiting can be extremely windy . We were there early Jan & it was rather gusty . Those who were there Boxing Day through New Years , literally had to be " boxed in " / stay indoors as the winds were just too strong .
Should go & report about your stay
But with weather these days , you may just have great weather sans winds ..
Maybe we do crowd funding, start a new resort, hire legacy Aman GMs, operate it like old Amans...and keep it away from drama....I'll compose a sign up sheet...first 10 to join gets free t-shirt and breakfast for life!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:05 pm
formerly htang333

Wink

If you go, please let us know if their welcome was at least warmer than the pre-arrival communication. Here's hoping they'll turn it around! Also I'd be really surprised if the breakfast ends up on the bill. They may not offer it in the first place, but to actually charge it is something different.

I just hope that the new Aman... oops, I mean, AMAN, is not taking a bad direction here.
I sure hope so and will def. report back...after all, that's my entire reason for going. Oh, the things I endure for my clients
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by htang333
Yes, we're reviewing Aman Tokyo 12/19 - 22, 12/22 - 24 in Kyoto (RC + FS) then Amanoi 12/25 - 29. Do you advise against late Dec to visit Amanoi? I'm under the impression it's low 80s in the day and cool at night...with chance of moderate to strong wind at times. My wife is a teacher so I'm kinda stuck on her schedule.
We stayed for 4 nights mid-December in '14 and it rained almost the entire time we were there, with incredibly fierce winds to add to the joyous atmosphere. The chef was also a Brit who said how he packed all his Summer gear, only to find it had rained almost non-stop since he arrived 2 weeks prior to our arrival. We absolutely loved Amanoi (including Sean and Joy), but I would not go back in December.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:08 pm
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
We stayed for 4 nights mid-December in '14 and it rained almost the entire time we were there, with incredibly fierce winds to add to the joyous atmosphere. The chef was also a Brit who said how he packed all his Summer gear, only to find it had rained almost non-stop since he arrived 2 weeks prior to our arrival. We absolutely loved Amanoi (including Sean and Joy), but I would not go back in December.
May need to re-consider Amanemu instead (or elsewhere new to check out).

Thanks for sharing...very grateful!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Oct 12, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:17 am
formerly htang333

Hate to hijack the thread but here's my delima now...

December 26 - 30...I can basically either visit Amanoi or Amanemu for the same HIGH rates...(Will be at Aman Tokyo just before so Emu is more logical, geographically)

Could either roll the dice (from a weather perspective with Noi or try out Emu for the hot spring which is 30 - 40 C in the winter still)...MacMyDay's comments above really sounded terrible.

I guess what I'm also asking myself is, which resort review would people find more useful? (guessing Emu since it's much newer and Noi has been reviewed here well) I will do a detailed write up with photos and some videos.

Welcome any feedback from #junkies!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Oct 13, 2016 at 4:36 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:53 am

Could either roll the dice (from a weather perspective with Noi or try out Emu for the hot spring which is 30 - 40 C in the winter still)...MacMyDay's comments above really sounded terrible.
I am cursed in this regard, so you may well get a few people come along and say it was fine for them. I booked North Island months in advance after doing lots of researching into when the best time to go was, only for it to rain on the first night. Same with Huvafen Fushi, yet that rained on the last night. Laucala rained 50% of the time we were there, yet had not rained for nearly 4 months prior to our arrival. I recommended FlyingDoctorwu not to go to Amanzoe in October as it sucked when we went, yet he just had great weather.

It is definitely the rainy season for Amanoi in December, but you could always get lucky.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:50 am
formerly htang333

MacMyDay, such is life! LOL
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:07 am

Maybe we do crowd funding, start a new resort, hire legacy Aman GMs, operate it like old Amans...and keep it away from drama....I'll compose a sign up sheet...first 10 to join gets free t-shirt and breakfast for life!
I think you will find that Adrian Zecha already thought of that! It's called Azerai.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:29 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I think you will find that Adrian Zecha already thought of that! It's called Azerai.
Touche!

I'd like to join the new Yacht Club he is putting together...only problem is, I need to quickly find $4M.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Oct 13, 2016 at 10:45 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:09 am

Touche!

I'd like to join the new Yacht Club he is putting together...only problem is, I need to quickly find $4M.
Tricky...
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:27 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Tricky...
"if there's a will, there's a way"...better start booking more trips

Last edited by BESVISOR; Oct 13, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.