Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

Amanoi (Vietnam)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Looking forward to our return , early January ‘ 23 stay & possibly FT DO .. do we have anyone else reading this at N’oi or in the vicinity 5 January ? .. we might just make 5 as of now if we can include the toddler .. still hoping 2 can adjust their Indochina itinerary to make it a definitely DO , the third AMANJunkie FT DO and ..
then to SIN DO 13 January & post DO in KL !!
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This was our third visit to Amanoi and the best ever. We stayed 6 years ago, 3 years ago, and last week. The owners kept staff on during their shutdown. They worked on maintenance projects. I wonder if they gave English classes as we found far more employees with good English fluency. It really made a difference. Joy is assembling her own team and is making wise choices.
  • New executive chef, Chef Pip, joined in July. She is a friend of a London friend so we got to sit and visit with her. She currently has a team of 38. Amanoi is undergoing expansion with the Beach Restaurant to open both noon and night, and a new venue to open. Her staff will increase to 52. She hired a Vietnamese sous chef a week earlier and was really looking forward to strengthening their Vietnamese options.
  • New assistant GM, Phillipe Borde, joined this summer. Has a 20 year history in SE Asia at varied hotels including larger chains such as Westin. Still finding his feet in the Aman way. Easy to find as he made the rounds at the restaurants, chatting with every guest. We had overgrown shrubbery obstructing some of our view. He had staff there within an hour cutting it back.
  • New manager of customer service, Nhi Tran, joined four weeks prior to our trip. She is a star. She was in the Seychelles at Six Senses for five years. Due to Covid, she had to return to her home country. She and I used WhatsApp to communicate and it worked out perfectly. I can't sing her praises loudly enough. We were blessed to have her personal attention throughout our four day visit.
  • On customer service team, Hanh, six months at Amanoi. She is a fresh college graduate who did her internship at Da Nang Intercontinental. She is great.
At first it felt as though everyone was new, but that wasn't the case. Many of the drivers, housekeepers, and cooks have been there for many years.

We were upgraded to Villa 12, an Amanoi ocean pool villa. This was our first time in this category and we liked it very much. It has an extra room which looks like a library and would be perfect for those traveling with children. It has two day beds. I wish that the TV was in that room as it would be perfect to have it there. We had booked an ocean villa. We love our water view; you see me make that comment in many of my hotel reviews. With no pool, there was a railing on the side of our deck that really detracted from our view. There was quite a bit of availability and they very kindly looked at what was open and offered us this. The day after we left, the property was fully booked so we really were fortunate. I will book this category in the future.

Let me give a examples of great service.
  1. If you've stayed at Amanjiwo, you might have tried their ginger soda. My husband likes it. We asked for it six years ago and Joy brought it over to Amanoi. On this trip, for the first time, they kept our villa supplied with it. Every day they brought fresh bottles.
  2. I had written ahead and asked that they make sure to have a foot stool in the villa. I always like to have my feet up while I am reading. I've found food stools surprisingly rare on our travels throughout the world. On arrival at the villa, they proudly showed me the footstool THAT THEY MADE for me. Unfortunately, I should have used the term ottoman. The foot stool was only a few inches above the floor. They took it away and brought an ottoman that did not need to be custom made.
  3. I very much like certain tropical fruits and find them a treat to have in SE Asia. I like mangos, finger bananas, young coconuts, rambutans, and custard apples. Mangoes were already available and they added the others to their shopping. It took til the third day to have each of them but get them they did.
An activity that I recommend is going out in their zodiac to see the coastline. It is an hour ride. They bring the zodias up to the Beach restaurant. It's fun to see Amanoi from the water and even more interesting to see all the fishing vessels and the beautiful rocky shoreline.

The property is being expanded. They opened 10 new villas in the spring. They are about to open a 2 bedroom and a 4 bedroom villa. They are building a children's club that will include a rock climbing wall. During Covid, they had a lot of Vietnamese families visit. They found that they come as multi generational groups. Thus, they need larger villas and they need activities for the children.

Every night we had a turndown gift. I particularly liked the Cham toiletry case that reflected the local culture. We got the normal luggage tags on departing. As a third time guest I thought we might get some Aman gifts but did not.

Joy reports to the manager who runs the Bhutan properties. We head there in a few months. She has already sent a lovely note of introduction. We headed to Phnom Penh next, flying from Nha Trang to Saigon to Phnom Penh. A day earlier, our flight was delayed an hour, giving us an illegal connection in Saigon. Nhi sprang into action, and found a flight that left 10 minutes earlier and got us rebooked. But it was still an illegal connection. She talked to Joy who proactively gave us expedited service at Saigon. We didn't realize we had to walk between the domestic terminal to the international one, then face a lengthy line at immigration. With expedited service, we were walked around the immigration line. We made our Phnom Penh flight only because of these two actions.

What more can I say? This property goes from strength to strength under Joy's leadership. It is a very special place, both for its extraordinary natural beauty and for the graciousness of the entire team.
I wish every property had a Joy. She should be in the hotelier Hall of Fame.
deer, FlyerEC and nmuva98 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
So glad to hear how well-run the property is these days. Joy is truly something else - above and beyond anything I've ever seen. I look forward to returning in 2024.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 3:08 am

This was our third visit to Amanoi and the best ever. We stayed 6 years ago, 3 years ago, and last week. The owners kept staff on during their shutdown. They worked on maintenance projects. I wonder if they gave English classes as we found far more employees with good English fluency. It really made a difference. Joy is assembling her own team and is making wise choices.
  • New executive chef, Chef Pip, joined in July. She is a friend of a London friend so we got to sit and visit with her. She currently has a team of 38. Amanoi is undergoing expansion with the Beach Restaurant to open both noon and night, and a new venue to open. Her staff will increase to 52. She hired a Vietnamese sous chef a week earlier and was really looking forward to strengthening their Vietnamese options.
  • New assistant GM, Phillipe Borde, joined this summer. Has a 20 year history in SE Asia at varied hotels including larger chains such as Westin. Still finding his feet in the Aman way. Easy to find as he made the rounds at the restaurants, chatting with every guest. We had overgrown shrubbery obstructing some of our view. He had staff there within an hour cutting it back.
  • New manager of customer service, Nhi Tran, joined four weeks prior to our trip. She is a star. She was in the Seychelles at Six Senses for five years. Due to Covid, she had to return to her home country. She and I used WhatsApp to communicate and it worked out perfectly. I can't sing her praises loudly enough. We were blessed to have her personal attention throughout our four day visit.
  • On customer service team, Hanh, six months at Amanoi. She is a fresh college graduate who did her internship at Da Nang Intercontinental. She is great.
At first it felt as though everyone was new, but that wasn't the case. Many of the drivers, housekeepers, and cooks have been there for many years.

We were upgraded to Villa 12, an Amanoi ocean pool villa. This was our first time in this category and we liked it very much. It has an extra room which looks like a library and would be perfect for those traveling with children. It has two day beds. I wish that the TV was in that room as it would be perfect to have it there. We had booked an ocean villa. We love our water view; you see me make that comment in many of my hotel reviews. With no pool, there was a railing on the side of our deck that really detracted from our view. There was quite a bit of availability and they very kindly looked at what was open and offered us this. The day after we left, the property was fully booked so we really were fortunate. I will book this category in the future.

Let me give a examples of great service.
  1. If you've stayed at Amanjiwo, you might have tried their ginger soda. My husband likes it. We asked for it six years ago and Joy brought it over to Amanoi. On this trip, for the first time, they kept our villa supplied with it. Every day they brought fresh bottles.
  2. I had written ahead and asked that they make sure to have a foot stool in the villa. I always like to have my feet up while I am reading. I've found food stools surprisingly rare on our travels throughout the world. On arrival at the villa, they proudly showed me the footstool THAT THEY MADE for me. Unfortunately, I should have used the term ottoman. The foot stool was only a few inches above the floor. They took it away and brought an ottoman that did not need to be custom made.
  3. I very much like certain tropical fruits and find them a treat to have in SE Asia. I like mangos, finger bananas, young coconuts, rambutans, and custard apples. Mangoes were already available and they added the others to their shopping. It took til the third day to have each of them but get them they did.
An activity that I recommend is going out in their zodiac to see the coastline. It is an hour ride. They bring the zodias up to the Beach restaurant. It's fun to see Amanoi from the water and even more interesting to see all the fishing vessels and the beautiful rocky shoreline.

The property is being expanded. They opened 10 new villas in the spring. They are about to open a 2 bedroom and a 4 bedroom villa. They are building a children's club that will include a rock climbing wall. During Covid, they had a lot of Vietnamese families visit. They found that they come as multi generational groups. Thus, they need larger villas and they need activities for the children.

Every night we had a turndown gift. I particularly liked the Cham toiletry case that reflected the local culture. We got the normal luggage tags on departing. As a third time guest I thought we might get some Aman gifts but did not.

Joy reports to the manager who runs the Bhutan properties. We head there in a few months. She has already sent a lovely note of introduction. We headed to Phnom Penh next, flying from Nha Trang to Saigon to Phnom Penh. A day earlier, our flight was delayed an hour, giving us an illegal connection in Saigon. Nhi sprang into action, and found a flight that left 10 minutes earlier and got us rebooked. But it was still an illegal connection. She talked to Joy who proactively gave us expedited service at Saigon. We didn't realize we had to walk between the domestic terminal to the international one, then face a lengthy line at immigration. With expedited service, we were walked around the immigration line. We made our Phnom Penh flight only because of these two actions.

What more can I say? This property goes from strength to strength under Joy's leadership. It is a very special place, both for its extraordinary natural beauty and for the graciousness of the entire team.
Thanks again SanDiego1K , once again a delightful stay in N’oi .. were in 12 too .
English classes have been ongoing as were others .. We , Sean F ‘ s wife was instrumental in developing them when he was GM , helped during our various stays like requesting items so the team would have to learn new & unusual words .

The ginger beer was a real boost / help as was under the weather pretty much during our stay & Nhi Tran rose to the occasion splendidly .. soon on a well deserved short break .

Planning for a longer stay in ‘ 24 .. make up for the past few years of missing N’oi

Happy to share that Joy is doing & looking better than before !! & will be around next year

callmedtop when are you going next year ? .. As of now , there are 4 FTers in possibly March , so perhaps another AMANJunkie FTer Do ?
SanDiego1K, obscure2k and scented like this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Mar 13, 2023 at 3:18 am
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
  1. I had written ahead and asked that they make sure to have a foot stool in the villa. I always like to have my feet up while I am reading. I've found food stools surprisingly rare on our travels throughout the world. On arrival at the villa, they proudly showed me the footstool THAT THEY MADE for me. Unfortunately, I should have used the term ottoman. The foot stool was only a few inches above the floor. They took it away and brought an ottoman that did not need to be custom made.
  2. .
Oh man, I'm not sure I would've had the ability to say "I meant Ottaman" after they presented a custom-made footstool to me... Heartbreaking!
Pierre&Cédric and MattEvan like this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Oh man, I'm not sure I would've had the ability to say "I meant Ottaman" after they presented a custom-made footstool to me... Heartbreaking!
I was thinking this exact same thing. If someone went to all of that trouble for me, I would make it work just to save face.
Pierre&Cédric likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, Mileage Plan, Avion Rewards
Long time lurker, first time poster. Wanted to give a huge shoutout to everyone in this thread, because it helped me choose between Aman and Six Senses.

We are very excited to experience Amanoi in a few weeks and one of those pool side villas.

I did have a question regarding tipping culture at Aman hotels and/or in Vietnam in general. General consensus seems to be no tipping unless you're an American. Thoughts?
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:52 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by yaz9
Long time lurker, first time poster. Wanted to give a huge shoutout to everyone in this thread, because it helped me choose between Aman and Six Senses.

We are very excited to experience Amanoi in a few weeks and one of those pool side villas.

I did have a question regarding tipping culture at Aman hotels and/or in Vietnam in general. General consensus seems to be no tipping unless you're an American. Thoughts?
That's awesome and enjoy Noi! Make sure you get some of that ginger beer

Tipping is one of the topics I get asked all the time by clients so I figured I'd share 2 cents as to what I personally do (subjective of course)....Regardless of the destination/hotel's local culture, I typically leave USD 20 in room per day for the housekeepers and in the case of an Aman resort, where you don't sign anything at meals, outlets, (thus, never asked to tip at point of transaction), I usually just tip to the general staff/team at check out and have them add about $100 - $150 per day to my bill. They may not expect any tipping at all but if the service is great, I'm more than happy to and it's also worth it seeing how thrilled / grateful the staff are when you acknowledge them.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:37 pm

So much great info in this thread! First time poster here, and I'm planning my first trip to Amanoi this Nov as an early 30th birthday celebration. I was reading through and it seems that late November is the start of rainy season, but I was wondering if anyone has stayed at the property mid-nov? I'm visiting the country for a wedding, so can't exactly move things around but am hoping to make the most of this trip while also being prepared on weather expectations.

To add to that, if it is raining, is it worth it to try to get upgraded to a ocean pool villa? I really want an ocean view during our stay but am wondering if we should book the mountain pool villa to get the ocean pool villa. Would it just be enough to book the mountain view villa in hopes of getting upgraded to the ocean view villa? Any help would be appreciated here; TIA!
mkm4 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:22 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Trakeda
So much great info in this thread! First time poster here, and I'm planning my first trip to Amanoi this Nov as an early 30th birthday celebration. I was reading through and it seems that late November is the start of rainy season, but I was wondering if anyone has stayed at the property mid-nov? I'm visiting the country for a wedding, so can't exactly move things around but am hoping to make the most of this trip while also being prepared on weather expectations.

To add to that, if it is raining, is it worth it to try to get upgraded to a ocean pool villa? I really want an ocean view during our stay but am wondering if we should book the mountain pool villa to get the ocean pool villa. Would it just be enough to book the mountain view villa in hopes of getting upgraded to the ocean view villa? Any help would be appreciated here; TIA!
Glad to read you're potentially going to Noi. It is one of my favorite Amans.

You're right about Nov and normally, I wouldn't suggest anyone to go in Nov but if you're already going to be in Vietnam then I'd roll the dice on it.
I was speaking with the Noi team about the weather and the past couple of years have been a bit odd so it may just work out for you.

I'd vote for Ocean Pool Villa at the minimum. It's a much better view/feel than the Mt. Pool Villas.

I plan to return next summer and will book the Amanoi Ocean Pool Villa. I think the difference is noticeable than the normal villas.
They weren't built yet when I visited in 2016 but many of my clients swears by the Amanoi Ocean Pool Villa. Looks amazing!
Old Aug 1, 2023, 12:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

From Joy: Amanoi is celebrating our 10th anniversary in September (21-24), and we are planning some nice experiences for all the guests during this weekend period. And the highlight will be on the night of the 23rd where we will have the appreciation gala dinner party with a series of performances throughout the night.

Should anyone be planning to be there at that time, I expect it to be a very special weekend. It's my favorite Aman property.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

From Joy: Amanoi is celebrating our 10th anniversary in September (21-24), and we are planning some nice experiences for all the guests during this weekend period. And the highlight will be on the night of the 23rd where we will have the appreciation gala dinner party with a series of performances throughout the night.

Should anyone be planning to be there at that time, I expect it to be a very special weekend. It's my favorite Aman property.
Sounds like a magical time.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:48 pm

Are you going ? Might be a mini DO then
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:09 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Are you going ? Might be a mini DO then
I wish! But no.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 1:43 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Hi everyone,

Will be our first Aman property stay, and thanks to SanDiego1K, we have finalized our super short Vietnam trip. Planning on 3 nights at Amanoi, and am planning to book directly with the hotel.

Would you recommend Lake Wellness Pool Villa or Amanoi Ocean Pool Villa. Both room types have some packages that go with it.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.