Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Dorchester Collection is buying Hotel Eden (Rome)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dorchester Collection is buying Hotel Eden (Rome)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stayed here a few years ago and thought the hard product was very good, but it was the service that was mixed. Based on that I wouldn't expect a huge renovation, but rather just sprucing it up a bit with perhaps a bathroom re-do.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I stayed here a few years ago and thought the hard product was very good, but it was the service that was mixed. Based on that I wouldn't expect a huge renovation, but rather just sprucing it up a bit with perhaps a bathroom re-do.
I agree, it sounds like the renovation might be similar to the one at Plaza Athenee, a somewhat light renovation but still a substantial improvement.

I am a big fan of the Dorchester Collection, although funnily enough I don't really like their "flagship" property, The Dorchester, very much.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:22 am
Suspended

What does everyone think about the new room pictures and its now booking.
https://www.facebook.com/HotelEdenRo...type=3&theater
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KateHarrison
What does everyone think about the new room pictures and its now booking.
https://www.facebook.com/HotelEdenRo...type=3&theater
It looks nice and with their 3 for 2 offer and guaranteed upgrade to Junior Suite it could be great value.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:47 am

I really like Hotel Eden and I think their new, lighter look will vastly improve the experience. Service was very good there, as was the food. Same GM, so hopefully it will be just as good, if not better.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I really like Hotel Eden and I think their new, lighter look will vastly improve the experience. Service was very good there, as was the food. Same GM, so hopefully it will be just as good, if not better.
That FB link doesn't work, but how can it be lighter than it was? As I recall it was already light and bright in the Starwood days. At least the rooms I was in were like that.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:54 am

That FB link doesn't work, but how can it be lighter than it was? As I recall it was already light and bright in the Starwood days. At least the rooms I was in were like that.
Not all were light and bright. I stayed in a very dark suite with lots of dark blue velvet. You were obviously lucky!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Not all were light and bright. I stayed in a very dark suite with lots of dark blue velvet. You were obviously lucky!
My guess is that the southern and southwestern facing rooms were like that, because they had the best open views and consequently more sunlight. Maybe they chose darker colors in the other rooms that didn't get as much sunlight.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:59 am

My guess is that the southern and southwestern facing rooms were like that, because they had the best open views and consequently more sunlight. Maybe they chose darker colors in the other rooms that didn't get as much sunlight.
Could be. Looks as though most rooms and suites in the new design are very light, apart from The Presidential, which looks to be quite clubby and masculine.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:27 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

So, the Eden Rome reopened on officially on March 1, 2017. As I live close by in Tuscany, I decided to pay it a 2-night visit and typing this over a light lunch just before departure. They have certainly done a top-to-bottom renovation, everything is brand-new, bright and huge difference compared to before. Booked through DavidO, the Dorchester Diamond Club amenities include full breakfast, a guaranteed upgrade at time of booking (in my case, from a Classic room - the most basic category - to a Classic Room with view, which essentially is the same room on a higher floor) and a 100 € credit which can also be applied towards the room rate.

Arrival and location
Arriving by car is fairly easy, without the need to navigate the narrow streets beyond Piazza di Spagna, as the hotel sits just next to Borghese Park, below Via Veneto. Nice welcome by the bellman, gave them they key to the car which they park in a private garage nearby (€ 65/per day). There is a public garage across to self-park which is probably a lot cheaper. Front desk tried to explain DC benefits ("tried", because he wasn't really sure what he was talking about and mentioned a Spa credit) and invited us to have a welcome drink before taking us to the rooms, which we accepted. He then ushered us to the elevator anyway, only when I asked again about the welcome drink and what it would entail he said "you can have coffee". Weird. So after getting settled, we went up the terrace for an espresso, of course they wanted to charge us, but we politely reminded them what the front desk had offered.

The location is very convenient, 10 minutes walking time to Piazza di Spagna, and the elevated position makes for nice views.

Room
Our room was a Classic Room with View on the 5th floor, with views towards the park out the back. A french balcony in both the bathroom and the bedroom. The bathroom had a tub/shower combination (unfortunately a tub is necessary to obtain 5-star qualification in Italy, I would have preferred a walk-in shower). Lots of marble and gold fixtures, I guess the Sultan of Brunei would be pleased. B&O devices in the room, sound dock and TV. Large selection in the in-room bar, bed brand-new and very comfortable of course.

Restaurant and public areas
Breakfast is offered both in the winter garden/terrace (Giardino) on the 6th floor and in the lobby, we only had it upstairs due to the lovely weather. Big buffet and lots of a-la-carte options. Strangely, the don't have croissants on the buffet but will bring you a 3-level silver étagère with jams, and loads of various pastry items which takes up have the table. What a waste, as many guests just take one item and the rest probably ends up in the bin. We had a drink in the terrace bar which was good, but we were the only guests, probably because of the recent opening. We did not try the gourmet restaurant also on the 6th floor. Lunch in Giardino was very good, a huge variety of Italian classics, International dishes and vegetarian/vegan options.

Service
We found service very good by Rome standards, some younger staff members in the restaurant are a bit snotty, which is unfortunately common in high-end locations in Italy (stores, restaurants, hotels). Just loosen up, nobody need this attitude! The older ones are great and very eager to please. Housekeeping didn't changed soap pieces or restock bathroom amenities, and placed no water bottles at turn-down on the second evening. Front office and bell staff very nice and welcoming.

Here are some pictures:

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome

The Eden Rome
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:11 am
Community Director Emerita

Beautiful pictures. I've stayed at the Eden pre renovation so was very interested in the pictures. Hopefully some of the small things were opening bumps that will be ironed out. I was intrigued to learn that a 5 star hotel in Italy has to have a tub. Just like you we prefer a walk in shower. I think this is the contemporary way to go now. We've removed two tubs from our own home in the last two years and built lovely walk in showers in their places.

Tell us your bottom line. Will you stay there again?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:04 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

P.S. Funny checkout situation... I've had billing errors before, but never 4 errors together in one bill, including a 780 € laundry charge

I guess nobody bothered to check beforehand... So there are definitely some issues that they need to work out. However, for being only open for a week, it was actually quite a smooth stay.

SanDiego1K, to answer your question, I think I would stay again. The hard product is probably the best in Rome, and service will surely improve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.