Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Amalfi Coast Hotels, Italy: which one?

Old May 27, 2022, 12:38 pm
BLV

I was at ISP last week and had an extensive tour and lunch at Borgo Sant Andrea. Property is very impressive and I’m already reserved for dinner at their main restaurant once I come back in August. Salt water pools for some of their suites, cascading gardens, beautiful decor. We saw a deluxe sea view room, which was lovely. Huge stretch of a private beach. And I mean HUGE (for Amalfi Coast, anyway). Sunbathing platform, but no sun after 3pm. Food at the beach restaurant was very good. I think this will be a problem for Monastero Santa Rosa, which sits directly above and has not much to offer (rooms too small, long way down for sea access) and probably for Santa Caterina, which is way too dated. The hotel just opened up last April after few years of restorations and is still a work in progress. I will definitely be booking a few nights there before my usual stay at ISP. Some iShots (but do visit their instagram account, which is beautifully run & will give a better idea of the property):

Deluxe balcony

Old May 27, 2022, 4:05 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

That looks gorgeous, @BLV. Thank you for the description and the pictures. Do they have an elevator to the beach? If not, how many flights of steps would you say it is from top to bottom?
Old May 27, 2022, 4:34 pm
BLV

SanDiego1K there is an elevator to the beach and you can also take the steps and while I cant remember how many flights, Id say its a fast & easy descend as you go through the gardens. Heres a photo from our way down to the beach:

Old May 28, 2022, 9:02 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by BLV
The hotel just opened up last April after few years of restorations and is still a work in progress.
They were open for 2021 season.... This is the 2nd summer of operations as far as I know.
Did ISP drive you or is it beyond their shuttle? Did Borgo San Andrea come up with their own transport plans? Last year it was just a boat to Positano 3 or 4 times a day
Great photos, the tile work is so photogenic
Old May 28, 2022, 11:22 am
BLV

Originally Posted by ABG
They were open for 2021 season.... This is the 2nd summer of operations as far as I know.
Did ISP drive you or is it beyond their shuttle? Did Borgo San Andrea come up with their own transport plans? Last year it was just a boat to Positano 3 or 4 times a day
Great photos, the tile work is so photogenic
Yes, last April, which was 2021.

No idea regarding transportation as we arrived by boat. Technically, you could say ISP “drove” us, since we used their new boat “Dreamer”, which replaced “Joey”. And since I’m on the topic of ISP and upgrades, I believe they’ve now completed renovation of all of their rooms. Lobby & common areas is the final step.

SanDiego1K, obscure2k, ABG and 1 others like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by BLV
I will definitely be booking a few nights there before my usual stay at ISP. Some iShots (but do visit their instagram account, which is beautifully run & will give a better idea of the property):
For a first time visitor to the region, would you recommend ISP or Borgo Santandrea ?
Has anyone stayed at both and/or can offer a comparative opinion ?
Old May 29, 2022, 10:16 am
BLV

Nizar - ISP without hesitation.
ABG, FlyerEC and Nizar like this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:36 pm

hello,

needs some recommendations for a 10 night stay in the amalfi coast.

First time in Italy. family of 4, 2 young teenage kids.

what do you guys recommend for first timers? flying into naples, June 21. I guess, I will need 2 rooms? or do the big suites allow the kid to sleep on sofa?

thx
Old Dec 15, 2022, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by RaysMD
hello,

what do you guys recommend for first timers? flying into naples, June 21. I guess, I will need 2 rooms? or do the big suites allow the kid to sleep on sofa?

thx
How are you intending to keep your teenagers occupied? For 10 days? The Amalfi coast is admittedly beautiful but very very touristy and I think all the hotels suffer from being rather cramped and awkward. Pools are small, beaches rocky. Driving here can be nightmarish. There are ferries to take between the various towns and that makes a fun day. Naples has fine museums and some churches have world class sculpture, notably Sanmartino's Cristo Velato. Pompeii is within easy reach and so too is Capua which has a magnificent amphitheatre. South of Salerno are the superb Greek temples at Paestum. Depends on your interest in cultural sites. Personally, I love these places (and went to Paestum only last month) but 10 days would make me feel hemmed in. Here is the view from my hotel, the Seabourn Sojourn -

Last edited by Pausanias; Dec 15, 2022 at 3:49 am
Old Dec 15, 2022, 4:13 pm
BLV

hello,

thx
You might not have much choice if you haven’t booked by now, as many 5* AC properties are booked by returning guests at check-out (last year, that is).

Il San Pietro - will have a tennis court if your kids are into tennis.
Borgo Sant Andrea - will have the biggest private beach any hotel on AC currently offers (ISP used to have a much bigger piece of beach but it’s disappeared with time), but it gets sun only until 3pm. Also, some suites will have their own private salt water pools.

There are also a few famous hikes that could be done and private guides who do a marvelous job, could be hired. Plenty of things to do on AC in June but you have to give more details regarding what you’re looking for and what your expectations are. 10 days is a good start. I usually go for 3 weeks and often feel that 4 would be ideal ;-).
Livetotell likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 6:04 pm

wife and kids definitely like the water, whether it's the pool or beach.

good food, shopping, and visiting the sites. I guess, for our first time, we have to be tourists.

I just check ISP and it's booked up except for a few days in June, only 1 room left, a prestige room. Will the hotel be ok with 4 in the room?
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:37 pm

wife and kids definitely like the water, whether it's the pool or beach.

good food, shopping, and visiting the sites. I guess, for our first time, we have to be tourists.

I just check ISP and it's booked up except for a few days in June, only 1 room left, a prestige room. Will the hotel be ok with 4 in the room?
Good food is probably guaranteed. But as I say, hotel pools are pretty useless here and so are the beaches. This is a vertical place, not horizontal.
Mickidon likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 12:23 am

Any advice for best options in Naples?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:56 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
difficult. There is no real luxury in the city. I would probably stay at Grand Hotel Parkers.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by HumbleBee

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
difficult. There is no real luxury in the city. I would probably stay at Grand Hotel Parkers.
I just had a short one night stay here arriving late in Naples before heading to Positano the following morning.
Agree, this is not a luxury hotel but was a great value for us on Hyatt points or FNC for our short stay. The standard room had no view at all but was renovated nicely. They do have a lovely rooftop for drinks and breakfast area Both have amazing views.
That being said, it's not near the city center but a short taxi away. The concierge are very nice and will call you a taxi if needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.