Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury hotel in Kyoto

Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

I am looking at doing another trip to Japan in 2014, and was thinking of spending 4 - 5 nights in Kyoto. As far as hotels go, I am split between the Hotel Granvia Kyoto and the Hyatt Regency Kyoto. The only room I would consider at the Granvia would be the Chirako Suite. Which hotel would somebody recommend in Kyoto? I wasn't even able to find a rate at the Granvia because for every night I put in, it said no rooms were available.

Greatly appreciate any help you could offer.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best hotels in Kyoto are the top of the line ryokan, best known are Tawaraya and Hiiragiya. The best western-style hotel is the Hyatt. There is a FS and (I think) a RC under construction, you might check if they will be open in time for your arrival.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Aug 18, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I loved The Tawaraya.^
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:43 am

how does Hotel Mume compare to the Tawaraya and Hiiragiya?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Ryokans are as luxe as they come in Kyoto. Granvia is just a business hotel with a terrible floor/building layout.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:46 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by WorldTraveler780
As far as hotels go, I am split between the Hotel Granvia Kyoto and the Hyatt Regency Kyoto. The only room I would consider at the Granvia would be the Chirako Suite.
I've stayed at both. Granvia is a well located by the train station and is a mid tier business hotel. Hyatt Kyoto is a lovely small (for Hyatt) hotel, worthy of a higher designation in the Hyatt hierarchy of hotels. The Hyatt will offer by far the better stay experience.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:26 am

As stated, Tawaraya/Hiiragiya are way to go if possible. I prefer Hiiragiya, but opinion on these two is split in this forum (and to be honest, they're pretty equal in quality). You can search for more info.

I also stayed in the Hyatt Regency last month, and I was overall pretty impressed. Make no mistake -- this is not a Park Hyatt -- but the rooms are very pleasant, service overall quite good, and breakfast was nice. When I want a western hotel in Kyoto, this is where I would stay (at least until FS/RC open).

I wouldn't personally want to stay at Kyoto Station, but I could see the argument that it is extremely convenient.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:42 am
In memoriam

I think our stay at the Granvia in the station was great - much more than "convenient". The station itself is gorgeous - and it's kind of like being in a small self-sufficient city. Lots of shopping - restaurants - food to take out - etc. It's also very weird for someone from the "suburbs" (like me) to watch the tens of thousands of people who commute through the station every day (while enjoying my morning coffee).

BTW - we stayed at the Granvia. I don't think it's a luxury hotel - but it was fine. A ryokan was out of the question for us - but - for the OP - wouldn't 4-5 nights at a single ryokan be over-doing it? Robyn
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:22 pm

I would suggest until the FS or the Aman opens to go with a Ryokan. I had a fantastic experience. Having said that, I would not spend 4-5 nights in Kyoto, 2 nights was fine for me. 4-5 nights could be used seeing other parts of Japan..
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Ok, all. Thank you very much for the excellent, knowledgeable responses. I have not stayed in Ryokan, and between the two, the Hiiragiya looks somewhat nicer. That being said, if I bring my mom, we'll have to stay in a Western hotel. I'll check on the status of the FS construction. That may also decrease pressure on rooms / pricing at the Hyatt.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

To a far greater extent than the big cities in Japan, Kyoto hotel room pricing depends on expected demand, which is almost entirely related to day of the week (weekend is far busier), season, and local festivals. The exact same room at the Hyatt can vary from Y18,000-40,000++ depending on date.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Like robyng we found the Granvia a practical, pleasant, though hardly luxurious choice.

The only room I would consider at the Granvia would be the Chirako Suite.
Had I stayed in this suite I would have been even more delighted, though!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

One more vote for the Granvia here. I find the location and the facilities (food, shopping and transportation) here to be about among the best. And although not exactly luxurious still quite a decent hotel.
But I like the Hyatt too... a (bit) more luxury and quite a bit smaller but normally the rates are quite substantially more than the Granvia. And the location for me makes it slightly less attractive as well.

I guess it all depends on what you favor and how long you stay. The Ryokans are surely a lot better, but for me they normally have a 2 day max stay limit. But due to price and the extreme pampering.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:00 am

Ok, all. Thank you very much for the excellent, knowledgeable responses. I have not stayed in Ryokan, and between the two, the Hiiragiya looks somewhat nicer. That being said, if I bring my mom, we'll have to stay in a Western hotel. I'll check on the status of the FS construction. That may also decrease pressure on rooms / pricing at the Hyatt.
The Hiiragiya has one semi-western style room (i.e. the room has low beds) in their new wing. The room (and the new wing in general) is extremely nice, and might allow you to stay there with your mother, depending on whether she can get up from a fairly low bed.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:12 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
To a far greater extent than the big cities in Japan, Kyoto hotel room pricing depends on expected demand, which is almost entirely related to day of the week (weekend is far busier), season, and local festivals. The exact same room at the Hyatt can vary from Y18,000-40,000++ depending on date.
Our room rates were pretty high at the Granvia. But we were there at the peak of cherry blossom season (a season I recommend highly - although we got lucky in picking our dates and pretty much nailed it). Robyn

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.