Quick report on Milan main luxury hotels

Quick report on Milan main luxury hotels

Old Aug 18, 13, 5:02 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Lightbulb Quick report on Milan main luxury hotels

Good evening,

I spent some the week end in Milan, hoping to do some shopping at Al Bazar, WP store and the likes, only to find out that most were closed for the month or at least two weeks.

I then decided to adapt the trip in a quick visit of the main luxury hotels in Milan. Here are some thoughts on my experiences there. More details on request and some pictures will come tomorrow evening.

Park Hyatt: By far, my favorite. The design is very similar to the one of the PH in Paris and transports you into an oasis of calm in the boiling city that is Milan (even though not so much in this month). The location is stellar and so are the service and the lunch we had. Reasonably priced with that (more than in Paris). 90 for two persons. The rooms are indeed very beautiful and well thought out. I would go for a Deluxe Room or a real suite. The Junior Suite isn't worth it and the Park King isn't sufficiently great to appreciate the experience.

Armani hotel: Unfortunately the Nobu Armani restaurant was closed so we had dinner in the lounge. It was rather pleasant but not memorable even if the view on the Duomo at night is very impressive. Service is nice but a bit slow sometimes. Price for 2: 110. The room design is cold as ever and full of Armani casa only. Actually, you could very well be in the Armani Burj Al Khalifa of Dubai, it's exactly the same, down to the sun shades used in the lounge. It does lack an Italian touch. The lounge chairs do not have any armrest which is a crime and non-sense.

Bulgari hotel: only used the Spa there for a manicure. Very disappointed but the price should have tipped me off. 25 is not expensive enough to get a nice treatment. The rooms were pretty nice but not on par with the Bulgari hotel in London despite prices being equal (600-700 a night). Service was very distant until my girlfriend started talking to me in Russian which made them probably think that we were the typical Russian high-life-spending couple.

Principe di Savoia: had dinner in the restaurant and very much enjoyed it. 130 for 2 but well worth it even though you can't imagine only taking a single main course for your dinner since portions are small. Do plan to spend 200 for 2 if you want a real dinner. Very attentive and professional service. Rooms are nice the classic Italian way. Premium rooms and up only are worth the attention. Breakfast is to die for, one of the best I've ever had.

Four Seasons: Some wonderful suites but rooms are rather disappointed. The foyer lacks charm and a bit more crowd would be nice, if only beautiful. Service is poor and prices are very high. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

My ranking:
Hyatt
Principe di Savoia
Bulgari
Armani
Four Seasons

Extra: had lunch at la Villa d'Este in Como. What a beautiful place. I think I'd like to die there (sorry for this rather unusual thought but I would very much imagine myself at a late age closing my eyes with such an exquisite garden and view on the lake). Of course, heaven has its price and nothing comes cheap. Lunch by the pool (so not even in the restaurant) was 130 for two with very basic dishes, not especially nice and with an awfully snobbish service. Crowd is rather unpleasant which could spoil a bit the experience. The key must be to stay in a suite and to make yourself well-known by some key staff with some well-thought tips in order to be treated as one should.
ConciergeBrandon likes this.
Old Aug 18, 13, 7:53 pm

I maybe a little confused... You mentioned you visited Milan for a weekend. Did you spend the night at all of these hotels or only visited them for the spa, meal, etc?

I tend to agree with your assessment of the Armani and Bvlgari from staying there, but find the service at the FS better than the PH from my stays at both. Did you find the restaurant service poor at the FS in particular?

I really like the new spa at the FS milan. Did you visit it?
Old Aug 19, 13, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackbook View Post
I maybe a little confused... You mentioned you visited Milan for a weekend. Did you spend the night at all of these hotels or only visited them for the spa, meal, etc?

I tend to agree with your assessment of the Armani and Bvlgari from staying there, but find the service at the FS better than the PH from my stays at both. Did you find the restaurant service poor at the FS in particular?

I really like the new spa at the FS milan. Did you visit it?
Sorry I wasn't clear. I stayed at the Principe Di Savoia and had previously stayed at the PH. The others I visited for spa and or meals. Then I also asked to be shown some rooms in order to get an idea of what it would be like to stay there.

Regarding the restaurant at the FS. It was either obnoxious or absent, at the Veranda. I didn't try the chef's table though.
Old Aug 19, 13, 10:47 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
I agree on the judement on the FS....especially on the rooms and the restaurant (I kind of like their lobby) veranda that I visit often (every month for sure). The service lacks, often.

We should throw in even a price point comparison....you mention something but it important to note that Principe (my favorite hotel in town) sells to almost half of the others included in your report...
Old Aug 19, 13, 1:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Park Hyatt Milano is the best in taht city, hands down. Even though Claudio (the GM) has recently moved on, his staff are all well trained.
Old Aug 19, 13, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by ray1022 View Post
Park Hyatt Milano is the best in taht city, hands down. Even though Claudio (the GM) has recently moved on, his staff are all well trained.
Had the fortune of meeting with him this week regarding his new property. He is very sad to have left! The PH Milano continues to be one of my favorite hotels on earth, and that's out of 53 countries!
Old Aug 19, 13, 1:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
Had the fortune of meeting with him this week regarding his new property. He is very sad to have left! The PH Milano continues to be one of my favorite hotels on earth, and that's out of 53 countries!
Wonderful! How is he doing and did he say anything regarding his new assignment/property?
Old Aug 19, 13, 1:59 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
and that's out of 53 countries!
Respect!
Old Aug 20, 13, 1:50 am
Original Poster

You're absolutely right. The Virtuoso rate at the Principe di Savoia for that week end for a deluxe room with upgrade, breakfast, late check out and a 85 EUR voucher at the restaurant was at 320EUR; per night or 280EUR; for a week end rate without the amenities.

The Park Hyatt was at 580EUR or 450EUR with my corporate rate.
The FS at 600EUR, same for Armani and 650EUR for the Bulgari.

Even though I loved the PH, I would still opt for the Principe Di Savoia given the price difference. Unfortunately I still can't splurge all the time for every trip and am trying to put some money aside on a savings account for an Aman trip.
Old Aug 20, 13, 2:07 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SeamasterLux View Post
Even though I loved the PH, I would still opt for the Principe Di Savoia given the price difference. Unfortunately I still can't splurge all the time for every trip and am trying to put some money aside on a savings account for an Aman trip.
You only live once
Old Aug 20, 13, 12:33 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by ray1022 View Post
How is he doing and did he say anything regarding his new assignment/property?
Mr. Ceccherelli has moved on to the Grand Hyatt Martinez in Cannes, where he has quite a challenge to bring this faded hotel up to Hyatt standards. I look forward to seeing him there.

The equally remarkable Mr. Bergareche has moved from the Park Hyatt Vendome to the Park Hyatt Milan. It is in good hands.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about Milan, yet I have routed trips thru Milan simply to stay at the Park Hyatt Milan. I love the hotel, I love the treatment I receive there, and I appreciate its perfect location halfway between the Duomo and La Scala.
Old Aug 20, 13, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aw, you folks just want to be close to the nearby MickeyD's in the center of the Galleria, a restaurant which TripAdvisor reviewers rank as number 2,735 of 3,788 restaurants in Milan (what would you think if you ran a restaurant that came out BELOW MickeyD's?).

Seriously, I've enjoyed my visits to this hotel immensely, and so have members of my family who have stayed there. The heart of the PHM is the concierges who consistently go so far above the call of duty that a new term ought to be coined for the service they provide.
Old Aug 20, 13, 4:11 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
You only live once
Who can afford to live twice at certain luxury hotel prices ? Robyn
Old Aug 20, 13, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Aw, you folks just want to be close to the nearby MickeyD's in the center of the Galleria, a restaurant which TripAdvisor reviewers rank as number 2,735 of 3,788 restaurants in Milan (what would you think if you ran a restaurant that came out BELOW MickeyD's?).

Seriously, I've enjoyed my visits to this hotel immensely, and so have members of my family who have stayed there. The heart of the PHM is the concierges who consistently go so far above the call of duty that a new term ought to be coined for the service they provide.
The McDonalds closed last year and was replaced by (yet another) Prada boutique.

There is quite a story to it including legal action.
Old Aug 21, 13, 12:12 pm

I can't wait for MO to open! Has anyone heard anything new about this development?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: