FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Bali Post-FS Sayan for Beach-Heavy Experience: Amankila or Amanusa? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1492688-bali-post-fs-sayan-beach-heavy-experience-amankila-amanusa.html)

stevenshev Aug 9, 2013 12:05 pm

Bali Post-FS Sayan for Beach-Heavy Experience: Amankila or Amanusa?

Talking this over with a friend and colleague and struggling.

The plan is three nights at FS Sayan and then two at the beach (and focus really is beach, not pool).

I know general opinion is Amankila is the place to go, but with such a heavy focus on wanting two nights at the beach, is Amanusa really the correct decision in this case?

Happy to hear why you think I'm wrong (or right!).

Blackbook Aug 9, 2013 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 21243864)

The plan is three nights at FS Sayan and then two at the beach (and focus really is beach, not pool).

I know general opinion is Amankila is the place to go, but with such a heavy focus on wanting two nights at the beach, is Amanusa really the correct decision in this case?

Skip the FS Bali's... they are not what they originally were. Go Aman all the way...

Musken Aug 9, 2013 1:20 pm

We went to Amankila and Amanusa this March. Loved both beaches, but they are different.

Sand:
Amanusa has white sand while there is fine darker sand at the Amankila beach.

Bales/loungers:
Both great. I would say more or less same kind of bale and loungers, covered with lots of soft towels. Ice water, suncream offered in the bale.

Privacy:
The beach at Amankila is a bit larger meaning there is some more distance between the bales. There is, however, trees and green plants in between the bales at Amanusa, so they are private as well, but maybe slightly less private than Amankila.
Amankila's beach is really private and the only people you see except guests, are local fishermen sometimes. At Amanusa it is possible to walk over the beach as it is connected to other beaches at each side, i.e. you see more people walking by. Not a lot, but some.
A third point is that since there are so many pools at Kila, the beach might be less full there, i.e. again more private.

Facilities:
Restrooms, changing facilities and restaurants available at the beach clubs at both beaches. Slightly longer walk from the beach to the facilities at Amankila, but the facilities there are nicer and more comfortable. In addition the beach club restaurant at Amankila is more "covered" meaning that you can use it also if it REALLY rains (we do not want that, but still). Also, of course, you can use the beach pool at Amankila while on the beach - at Amanusa there is no pool at the beach.

Food
We had only simple meals like pizza or sandwiches at beach, so cannot really comment. Pizza at Amanusa beach was really good, though.

Water sports
Equipment (smal boats, surf boards etc.) available at both beaches. Did not use it, so cannot comment in detail. No snorkelling of the beach at any of them.

Service
Excellent at both beaches. Can have meals and drinks in your beach bale if you do not want to go to the restaurant.

Swimming
Waves and current was more noticeable at Amanusa when we were there - a bit hard to get in and out of water because of this, but OK to swim, but that varies according to wind and season I guess.

Getting to and from beach
Walk down, buggy up at Kila. Car both ways at Amanusa (see also below re car)

Others
Lots of little crabs and also a large lizzard spotted at Amankila. No "wildlife" at Amanusa.
Sometimes there are large tankers to be seen in the sea outside Amankila - might spoil view.
Building work close to Amanusa beach. No direct access through golf course with the cool cabrio when we were there because of this, needed to take a normal car through the village (not far, but not as nice as the alternative). No noise when we were there, but this can be a problem so check.

So - as you see - a bit difficult to choose.

If I were you, having only two nights, I think I would go to Amanusa since it will save you some transport time and give you more time at the beach, and then rather save Kila for sometimes when you want to do everything that this resorts has to offer.

vincentb89 Aug 9, 2013 1:24 pm

If you intend to spend the whole time laying on the beach, choose Amanusa. Beach service is excellent. But you'll miss the views of Amankila ...

Kagehitokiri Aug 9, 2013 1:28 pm

could also stay at kila and visit nusa

stevenshev Aug 9, 2013 1:32 pm

Very helpful so far, thank you very much, guys.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 21244337)
could also stay at kila and visit nusa

Mind expanding on this logistically for me?

Kagehitokiri Aug 9, 2013 1:35 pm

aman is not closed to visitors, and there is discussion of amanjunkies staying at one, and going to another for (beach), meals, pools, other services - get the excursions/menus/spa for both properties, regardless of where you stay

Musken Aug 9, 2013 1:37 pm

As Kage says, you can visit one Aman while staying at another. However, you are talking two days here, and the trip between Amankila and Amanusa often takes two hours each way, so I would never suggest doing this. Also each and one Aman at Bali is a wonderful destination in itself, also Amanusa, so no need to leave this resort to go somewhere else anyway (unless you have a lot of time or you REALLY want to see both).

Kagehitokiri Aug 9, 2013 1:40 pm

Musken, what about between airport / ubud / airport (and any other stops/excursions) ?

like >
airport - ubud
ubud - aman
aman - airport
(+ any other stops / excursions / etc)

stevenshev Aug 9, 2013 1:42 pm

Definitely suffering from a dearth of time, so 2+ hours each way kills it and brings us back to the original question, unfortunately.

Musken Aug 9, 2013 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 21244408)
Musken, what about between airport / ubud / airport (and any other stops/excursions) ?

like >
airport - ubud
ubud - aman
aman - airport
(+ any other stops / excursions / etc)

Not sure I understand the question, but I'll try to answer what I think you want to know:

I would never want to go from the airport (arrival, tired etc.) directly to the beach instead of first going to my hotel and even less want to go directly to the airport from the beach (full or sand and salt water etc. - there are showers, but still!) If others are not like me, I do not think it is very convenient transport wise. It is not like Amanusa is on the direct way to the airport from Amankila or Amandari. It is close, but still like 30 minutes away from the airport (often heavy traffic, too).

Combining Amanusa with excursions is also not ideal as there is really nothing special to see in that direction. There is Uluwatu temple (40 minutes south of Amanusa by car, but other temples are nicer), there are some shopping malls not too far away from Amanusa (but not interesting enough for an excursion I would say).

Rather, if you stay at Amanusa or Amandari, it might be interesting to visit east Bali as an excursion with stop at Amankila, or if you stay at Amankila or Amanusa you might want to visit Ubud with lunch at Amandari.

Musken Aug 9, 2013 1:58 pm

What I would do instead: Start with two days at Amanusa to get rid of jet lag just enjoying the beach and just relax. Then go from there to Amankila, visiting Ubud and the sights and have lunch at Amandari on your way - making this a full day excursion and transport in one (or stay one night at Amandari before you go on) and spend the last nights at Amankila. Much more of the original Bali nature and culture to enjoy at Amankila compared to Ubud (getting touristy, at least if you do not go on the Amandari excursions). And you will have the possibility of beach relaxation there as well.

You might want to look at your possible arrival and departure details in order to decide upon the order. Might do Amankila first and Amanusa in the end if that fits better with travel plans.

stevenshev Aug 9, 2013 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Musken (Post 21244510)
What I would do instead: Start with two days at Amanusa to get rid of jet lag just enjoying the beach and just relax. Then go from there to Amankila, visiting Ubud and the sights and have lunch at Amandari on your way - making this a full day excursion and transport in one (or stay one night at Amandari before you go on) and spend the last nights at Amankila. Much more of the original Bali nature and culture to enjoy at Amankila compared to Ubud (getting touristy, at least if you do not go on the Amandari excursions). And you will have the possibility of beach relaxation there as well.

You might want to look at your possible arrival and departure details in order to decide upon the order. Might do Amankila first and Amanusa in the end if that fits better with travel plans.

Perfect world that makes sense, but getting a bit of budgetary pushback, so trying to combine Pool Suite at one of the Amans with substantially cheaper villas at Sayan to keep average price in budget.

Musken Aug 9, 2013 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 21244517)
Perfect world that makes sense, but getting a bit of budgetary pushback, so trying to combine Pool Suite at one of the Amans with substantially cheaper villas at Sayan to keep average price in budget.

Understand. However, I would say do it like this anyway, and skip private pool. The beaches and pools at Amans are so nice and private (with bales) - we hardly used our private pools. Or hope for an upgrade - if you book the whole trip through Aman, it might very well happen. Virtouso etc. might also have upgrade possibilities if you book through them.

Kagehitokiri Aug 9, 2013 2:22 pm

thanks Musken

three nights at FS Sayan
two at the beach

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 21244517)
Pool Suite at one of the Amans
substantially cheaper villas at Sayan

Originally Posted by Musken (Post 21244554)
skip private pool
hope for an upgrade

bali break 3 nts x 900 = 2700 incl extras
pool suite 2 nts x 1400 = 2800

if multiple rooms, for example >
nusa 3BR 3500/3=1167 (2BR for less?)
kila 2BR 3100/2=1550

depending on when and how you feel about risk, could see what upgrades are possible via virtuoso, and do walk up bookings where you pick category based on what upgrade is available