Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 Washington, DC site inspections

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:09 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
4 Washington, DC site inspections

I was in Washington, DC last weekend for 48 hours for a family wedding and had the opportunity on Saturday morning and afternoon to make four site inspections of four very different hotels. As always, I want to emphasize that these are my own personal impressions. Different readers can and should disagree! I could not evaluate the service provided at these properties, only give my impression of the physical product.

Ritz-Carlton Washington DC was built in 2000, a medium-sized city hotel with 300 rooms. It is reminiscent of other city RCs, such as Buckhead, with traditional styling, dark wood paneling in the lobby, and crown mouldings. Guest rooms are decorated in a color scheme of golds and tans that provide a restful, classic atmosphere. Though I would not call RC Washington a WOW hotel, it is nevertheless a comfortable upscale hotel with a convenient downtown location with easy access to two different Metro stations.

Lead-in Deluxe and Premier rooms are 450 square feet, with three "tower" rooms on each floor (43, 44, and 45 series) being slightly larger due to the "bump out" of the windows; these three rooms occupy the space directly under the 9th floor Club Lounge. While these rooms are slightly more spacious, they also have the disadvantage of being right by the elevators. I was not able to test the soundproofing, but guests could possibly hear the soft bell announcing the arrival of an elevator as well as the conversation of guests waiting in the hallway.

Guestrooms feel like typical Deluxe rooms and come with either a King or two double beds. Desks provide Ethernet ports and power outlets. Bathrooms have a step-in shower, soaking tub, single vanity, and a WC.

I also saw a 1 BR Suite which, at 900 square feet, has double the space of two rooms. The living room provides a powder room as well as a pullout sofabed, so this could be very suitable for families. Suite bathrooms also provide dual vanities.

I had the opportunity to spend two evenings in a Presidential Suite, which is extremely spacious, with a study and dining room in addition to a living area and separate bedroom. Padded silk wall treatments are a feature of the hotel's luxury suites.

The 9th floor Club Lounge offers meal presentations during the day. I did have breakfast one day in the lounge; guests can choose a hot meal of scrambled eggs, and there is also a selection of cereals, cold cuts, and smoked salmon and all the trimmings for lox and bagels. Those who desire a more extensive breakfast selection can eat in the Bistro restaurant and apply the Virtuoso or FHR continental breakfast credit toward their breakfast.

Guests have (paid) access to the extensive Sports Club LA, a 100,000 square foot exercise club that is part of the hotel complex. I saw an extensive number of exercise machines as well as basketball, volleyball, and racquetball courts and a pool.

Ritz-Carlton Georgetown is a boutique hotel located just 10 blocks west of RC Washington and with the same ownership, Millennium Partners (also the owner of FS San Francisco). While in the process of developing RC Washington, the owner saw an abandoned brick industrial site just south of M Street, realized the potential, and made the ultimate impulse purchase with the vision of creating a second hotel. RC Georgetown has successfully preserved the historic feel of its original brick buildings, even creating a small meeting and dining space within the original round brick chimney. In the heart of Georgetown between M Street and the Potomac River, the hotel is set among historic brick townhouses, an old stone church, and upscale shopping.

On entering the spacious Lobby Lounge, guests immediately sense the residential ambiance of the property. Guests check in while seated at one of two desks, and you will always find guests seated in the Lobby Lounge working via WiFi or enjoying cocktails. With just 86 rooms, including 32 suites, this is a much more intimate hotel than its sister property whose hallway stretches the length of an entire city block!

For some, an intimate hotel is an advantage, but for others there is a disadvantage. RC Georgetown does not have a Club, but I did learn that a club experience is available upon request for a premium of $150 per night. Guests can set up the time frame and location (in the lobby, in your room, etc.) for receiving Club amenities — but I suspect the major appeal of a true Club Lounge is the opportunity to drop in unscheduled, whenever one feels the urge for a snack or drink.

Guest rooms have a contemporary feel and are currently decorated with a color scheme of golds and greens, with dark wood trim accents. However, the hotel will soon receive a $2 million renovation of all 86 rooms. Scheduled to begin in 2014, new rooms will come online beginning next February, with the entire renovation being completed by the end of March. The object is to update and lighten the rooms by moving to a color scheme of tans and taupes with leather Eames desk chairs.

Guest bathrooms have separate soaking tubs and step-in showers, single vanities, and WC. 1BR Suites are larger, most offering floor-to-ceiling windows and add dual vanities to the bathroom. Executive Suites are larger still at 1,100 square feet with two full bathrooms in some suites and a powder room in others.

Capella Georgetown, literally around the corner from RC Georgetown, is an even more intimate boutique hotel with just 49 rooms. Guests enter from 31st Street into a publicly accessible outer lobby which provides public access to the hotel's bar and restaurant, but only registered guests can access the hotel's lounge area (called "the living room") where check-in takes place. Your guest experience begins about two weeks prior to check-in when you will be contacted by your personal assistant. The hotel currently offers completely flexible check-in and check-out time, and they hope to be able to maintain this even when occupancy levels rise.

Superior Rooms are available with either King or Queen-Queen beds and provide only a step-in rain shower (no tub). All other room categories offer King bed and large bathrooms with a deep soaking tub and step-in rainshower. The Deluxe room I saw was a spacious 600 square feet with hardwood floors, its styling clean and simple with unadorned white walls and bedding. Spashes of color are provided by area rugs and the upholstered seating.

Upgraded Georgetown rooms are located on the corners of the building, with windows looking out from both outside walls. An attractive room with a four-poster bed and striking window treatments, the Georgetown room is larger than Deluxe rooms, but I found the room's dimensions to be wide but a bit shallow in its dimension from the bed to the opposite wall

Capella Suites have separate bedroom and living room areas, though each area was a bit cozier than ideal. A single traveler would probably prefer a Georgetown Room, but couples would prefer a Suite if one traveler needs to do work without disturbing a guest still sleeping. The larger Executive Suite adds a powder room, with a very large bathroom, but the living room still seemed cozy.

Capella Georgetown will appeal to younger, trendy, upscale travelers. The rooftop has a heated indoor/outdoor pool open year-round, as well as a small exercise room. All guests enjoy complimentary non-alcoholic beverages from the minibar in their room.

The Jefferson is a small gem of a hotel imbued with a sense of American history. Named after the third President of the U.S., the designers have employed Jeffersonian motifs throughout the property, including a wall with framed documents signed by the former President and Secretary of State, as well as antiques and period artwork. Occupying a 1923 Beau Arts building, the hotel was gutted in 2007, undergoing an extensive 30-month renovation. It reopened in 2009 with just 96 rooms, including 23 suites.

Being housed in a historic building, the owners were unable to change the dimensions of the rooms. Accordingly, you should expect cozy rooms; the 56 Deluxe guestrooms feel like well-appointed Superior rooms. The hotel is beautifully decorated with a genuine sense of history created through the skillful choice of fabrics, colors, wall treatments, and furnishings. It's important for me to add than although the ambience is historical, the hotel in no way seemed dated to me.

Deluxe guest rooms are about 380 square feet, with the bathrooms providing a single vanity, toilet (no separate WC), and step in shower with great water pressure. 18 guestrooms also provide a soaking tub; the extra space will be appreciated if you don't take baths, but request a tub if this is your preference. I also saw a 1 BR Deluxe Suite. This suite provided a sleeper sofa in the living room, its bathroom had dual vanities, bathtub, step-in shower, and WC.

The Jefferson is right for some upscale travelers but not for others. If you value spacious guestrooms and contemporary style, this hotel is not for you. But if you are content in a cozy environment and appreciate American history and colonial interiors, you will enjoy your stay at the Jefferson.

Last edited by DavidO; Jul 22, 2013 at 9:19 pm
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Great report! You must be careful at RC DC, because they have some really small suites with very tiny living rooms.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:59 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Access to the Sports Club LA is complimentary for Club guests at RCDC.

Marriott Rewards members (even basic members like myself) are eligible for complimentary wifi at RC Georgetown. I forgot to ask if RC Rewards members also get the same privilege....

Both properties offer house car service but YMMV on actual availability vs stated availability. We found this discrepancy to be acute at RCDC.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by luxury
Access to the Sports Club LA is complimentary for Club guests at RCDC.
For virtuoso-guests too. Unfortunally they told me, that their is a fee, so I changed the time of my reservation at Westend bistro. At our room we found a voucher, that access is complementary for virtuoso-guests. Next morning it was closed without prior notice, because they ha special opening times at this day.d
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:19 pm

Interesting visits... I had a horrible experience at RC Georgetown and be sure to avoid the rooms that look straight into a concrete pillar. FS Georgetown is very much a class of its own. Capella hard product and size is intriguing.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I've stayed at the RCDC a few times. While by no means over the top, I find it to be a comfortable hotel.

I enjoy the Kroll pieces they have in the public areas.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:40 pm

Anymore Capella updates? Like most FT'ers, I adore the RC Georgetown, but the Capella seems interesting to mix it up sometime.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Anymore Capella updates? Like most FT'ers, I adore the RC Georgetown, but the Capella seems interesting to mix it up sometime.
At least someone adores the RC Georgetown, I had a horrendous stay there. The FS in Georgetown is the only play to stay in DC according to my book.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Blackbook
At least someone adores the RC Georgetown, I had a horrendous stay there. The FS in Georgetown is the only play to stay in DC according to my book.
Shocker.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
David O,

Thank you for the reviews. From someone who visits Washington DC quite often for business I appreciate our feedback. I have not personally had good experiences at the Ritz Carlton, but have not tried their Georgetown hotel. I used to stay at the Four Seasons which I really liked if I had a premier room or suite. Now I tend to stay at the Park Hyatt in their premier rooms which are large with very nice modern bathrooms although the rooms could use a little freshening up! I like the location and prefer to the nearby Ritz. I also really like the Blue Duck Tavern which is their restaurant.

I have stayed at the Jefferson once and loved it. I had their highest end room which was larger than you describe, but smallish in comparison to others. Loved the ambiance of the hotel and the bar. Also had good luck with the service. But for my business trips I really do like the Park Hyatt as long as I have a premier room which is over 600sq ft and like. Jr suite or smallish suite. I am not. Big hyatt fan. The other park hyatt I actually love is Tokyo. Otherwise I am not a fan!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Larkin
Now I tend to stay at the Park Hyatt in their premier rooms which are large with very nice modern bathrooms although the rooms could use a little freshening up! I like the location and prefer to the nearby Ritz. I also really like the Blue Duck Tavern which is their restaurant.
I agree with that assessment. The bathrooms in the suites are very nice. The rooms are pretty meh. Overall though I feel the Park is just a step behind the 8 ball on ambiance. Still a good place though.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 7:00 am

Shocker.
Yes indeed... It was amateur hour when it came to the staff- the concierge tried to tell me that you couldn't reach colonial Williamsburg by car because it was so far away in 'update New York' (hadn't realized it had magically relocated). The rooms I booked more than once had a view of a concrete pillar. The spa was small and inconsequential. The dining was below par. Overall, the hotel accomplished something I never thought it could: take a small hotel concept and ruin it by so/so staff, cheap quality rooms, lousy spa, and bad food.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:40 am

No, I meant your opinion wasn't surprising. Perhaps I should have included the rolly eyes guy.

The hotel regularly gets voted for the place to go in DC by this forum, so I am not alone in my assessment. I can only recall one other negative review actually, from luxury

Driving to Williamsburg from DC is pretty ludicrous unless you planned on staying down here too, so while the concierge may have had questionable geography skills, I'm not sure their judgement was all that off.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:34 pm

No, I meant your opinion wasn't surprising. Perhaps I should have included the rolly eyes guy.

The hotel regularly gets voted for the place to go in DC by this forum, so I am not alone in my assessment. I can only recall one other negative review actually, from luxury

Driving to Williamsburg from DC is pretty ludicrous unless you planned on staying down here too, so while the concierge may have had questionable geography skills, I'm not sure their judgement was all that off.
Really? That's news to me. Certainly, the RC not a horrendous place to stay by any stretch of the imagination. But, there are far better places to the stay in my experience.

I think one missed the point... one visited Williamsburg next
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Blackbook
Really? That's news to me. Certainly, the RC not a horrendous place to stay by any stretch of the imagination. But, there are far better places to the stay in my experience.

I think one missed the point... one visited Williamsburg next
You should have stopped by and said hi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.