Starwood "Luxury Privileges" program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood "Luxury Privileges" program

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Qatar Silver, Emirates Skyward Silver, SPG Gold , IHG Spire Elite
Hopefully some one may be able to help. Ever since St Regis Changsha (Hunan) opened up middle of last year, I have been waiting for it to come up on the SPG LP. I have even asked a TA who can book the SPG LP benefits but they are unsure as well. Maybe I should email the Plat team? Any suggestions or answers?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by xavzz
Hopefully some one may be able to help. Ever since St Regis Changsha (Hunan) opened up middle of last year, I have been waiting for it to come up on the SPG LP. I have even asked a TA who can book the SPG LP benefits but they are unsure as well. Maybe I should email the Plat team? Any suggestions or answers?
It might not ever show up. Not all SPG hotels participate. I don’t know if SPG selects them or if the hotel chooses to participate.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
St. Regis Changsha is not [yet] listed on the list of Starwood hotels receiving Luxury Privileges amenities, nor do LXV rates come up either on Sabre or when entering the SET # for Luxury Privileges. All St. Regis and all W Hotels are supposed to be included in the program.

There's nothing the Platinum Team can do. The issue is that hotel simply hasn't gotten its act together.

The only way I know to get this resolved: ask your TA to contact his/her Marriott Luxury Brands sales rep and have the rep intercede with the hotel.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DavidO

The only way I know to get this resolved: ask your TA to contact his/her Marriott Luxury Brands sales rep and have the rep intercede with the hotel.
On a tangent: as far as I know, Marriott doesn't have its own version of SLP. Do you know if SLP is something that will either continue as-is with the merger, broaden in scope to include traditional Marriott properties, or get cut entirely?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by pewpew
On a tangent: as far as I know, Marriott doesn't have its own version of SLP. Do you know if SLP is something that will either continue as-is with the merger, broaden in scope to include traditional Marriott properties, or get cut entirely?

Starwood Luxury Privileges will always be limited to the Marriott Luxury Brands Portfolio.

It's unknown how the preferred partner program (LXV) for St. Regis, Luxury Collection, and W Hotels will be integrated into the preferred partner program (STARS) for the former Marriott brands — Ritz-Carlton, Bulgari, Edition. I expect there will be some evolution on both sides of that equation, but I suspect Marriott doesn't have a clue at the present time.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:40 am

What are the current benefits for St. Regis Langkawi?
Is the f/b credit still per night and any airport transfers?

Last edited by yerffej201; Feb 25, 2018 at 6:58 am
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
What are the current benefits for St. Regis Langkawi?
Is the f/b credit still per night and any airport transfers?
It's a one-time credit, and it can be used for F&B or Spa.
  • USD 100 towards Food & Beverage or Spa
  • Daily Buffet Breakfast for two guests
  • Complimentary standard in-room internet access
  • Upgrade on arrival, early check-in, and late check-out, which are all subject to availability
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:27 am

Are back-to-back reservations (say one night in each name of a couple?) prohibited / frowned upon? Then you'd get extra F&B credit

I've often had multiple bookings for various reasons (extending a biz trip for personal time, awards where we didn't have enough points in one account etc) and no problem keeping the same room
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Are back-to-back reservations (say one night in each name of a couple?) prohibited / frowned upon? Then you'd get extra F&B credit

I've often had multiple bookings for various reasons (extending a biz trip for personal time, awards where we didn't have enough points in one account etc) and no problem keeping the same room

I'd say this would be frowned upon at the very least. It would be deceptive, even dishonest ... and it does not honor the spirit of the amenities being provided. Generally speaking, whenever you make back-to-back reservations, you'll only get one $100 credit in addition to daily breakfast.

Luxury hotels try to know their guests, greet them by name, and generally try to make them feel welcome (so if the hotel is doing its job well, you'll be found out).

The corollary: luxury hotel guests should act like they belong in a luxury hotel — I.e., behave graciously.

Other disadvantages to this scheme:
1. You'd have to check out of one room and check into another.
2. You minimize your chance of being upgraded.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by DavidO
I'd say this would be frowned upon at the very least. It would be deceptive, even dishonest ... and it does not honor the spirit of the amenities being provided. Generally speaking, whenever you make back-to-back reservations, you'll only get one $100 credit in addition to daily breakfast.

Luxury hotels try to know their guests, greet them by name, and generally try to make them feel welcome (so if the hotel is doing its job well, you'll be found out).

The corollary: luxury hotel guests should act like they belong in a luxury hotel — I.e., behave graciously.

Other disadvantages to this scheme:
1. You'd have to check out of one room and check into another.
2. You minimize your chance of being upgraded.
I agree on all points, and will also add that hotels tend to merge consecutive reservations into a single “stay” so it is unlikely that once per stay benefits would be duplicated. There usually is language in the T&C that says a stay is defined as consecutive nights stayed, regardless of how many times one checks in and out.

Of course, if you actually switch to a different hotel, there’s no problem. If you return to the same hotel on a non-consecutive night, that’s also a new stay.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:50 pm

Couldn’t agree more with previous posts. Also Starwood would definitely merge such reservations so there’s nothing to gain.

Also I I were your travel agent and you would insist on such bookings, I would happily refer you to self-booking. Perhaps you think you have found a loop to game the system but be assured that such kind were closed years ago. The main being frown up’ed on will be by your travel agent and/of this board.

if the potential 100/night is that important, do yourself a favor and look at other, cheaper properties.

Have a great stay!
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Just distasteful that kind of gaming.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:42 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Aventine
Just distasteful that kind of gaming.
Yep and completely unnecessary.

Also causes more of an issue for the hotel, and thus the guest, if the bookings are under different names and then you need to check-in and check-out again and/or go to a different room etc. Completely pointless for the sake for ~USD 100 credit. Better to save ~USD 100 on the hotel room and find something that fits the budget than trying to game the system like this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Some
So, any intel on what will become of the Luxury Privileges rate post-programme merger - is it staying around? There are many Ws in particular that are part of Luxury Privileges but not FHR/Virtuoso and they'll become somewhat less attractive to me if Marriott decides not to keep this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
So, any intel on what will become of the Luxury Privileges rate post-programme merger - is it staying around? There are many Ws in particular that are part of Luxury Privileges but not FHR/Virtuoso and they'll become somewhat less attractive to me if Marriott decides not to keep this.
I guess we’ll have to wait and see. What I think Marriott should do is create a single, streamlined preferred partner program accross all of its high end brands, i.e. R-C STARS + Starwood Luxury Privileges + possibly Edition and other properties.

Similarly, I would like to see the Ritz-Carlton Chase Visa card be rebranded, and its benefits expanded to cover all Marriott brands (or at least the higher end ones).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.