Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Absolutely agree about the view, couldn´t see a difference either. I ses Macallan enjoyed the bed and the property. I guess he would agree that the flight was worth the "few" extra bugs
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Probably the closest we'll get to a Martian landscape in a luxury hotel on Earth. Everytime, it's always captivating to see.

Glad Aman hospitality came through for your Coldness and happy belated birthday!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:18 am

Nice recovery of picking up one of your nights. When we had a similar group at The Point, they gave us one free night on a future stay. (Which we never took).
I always wondered if there was a list for reservation agents “DO NOT LET CUSTOMER X BOOK AGAIN!)
What a beautiful place to stay!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Great report and happy birthday. I still can’t believe you’ve never been in the pool!
I hope to go back sometime.

Fdw
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:36 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Ugh at the wealthy younger “LA” types, more interested in partying than having a relaxing vacation. I try to avoid anywhere that becomes popular with that set and unfortunately spots in both Hawaii and Mexico seem to be on that list
scented likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Ugh at the wealthy younger “LA” types, more interested in partying than having a relaxing vacation. I try to avoid anywhere that becomes popular with that set and unfortunately spots in both Hawaii and Mexico seem to be on that list
They weren't that young. It was a group of middle-aged self-important jerks who happened to be from LA.
FlyerEC and scented like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great report, hope positive sign for giri

giri briefly offered 4th free in jan/feb
first time they have done so direct

speaking of mukul/auberge & giri
(2013 auberge anguilla ex-aman GM)
2015 auberge costa rica gets ex-giri JP
2017 auberge sign mukul
2018 mukul closes hotel
2019 auberge open utah ex-aman COO
(auberge got at least 2 other ex-aman)

can search by room at aman for most rooms
using "make a reservation" link on room's page
aman.com/resorts/amangiri/suites/desert-view-suite
gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Chain=16840&Hotel=62482&Lang=1&template=R BE3&shell=RBE2&Room=DKD
entry category desert view now ranges 1550 > 3500
top category amangiri suite now ranges 4350 > 6400
shows how booked up giri gets, including the 4BR

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 5, 2019 at 6:29 pm
Old May 13, 2019, 12:49 pm

Just stayed with a group at Amangiri. While we had a fabulous time and found the setting astonishingly beautiful, I can't justify a return at the price points and relative inconvenience of the location. Part of my issue, I guess, is some Aman fatigue. I do love a proper suite and, failing that, some handy bedside storage, good lighting, etc.
and this was not in abundance. As well, I found the cement bed frame cold and downright dangerous. A few points:

-The Girijaala Suite was not worth the upcharge for us ($4700/5900!) as it is a regular room with a ton of outdoor space. If you plan to be outside enough, maybe, but, while the lap pool was lovely and private, the main pool is spectacular. There is pretty much no outdoor lighting at night and the upstairs section (day bed and telescope) seemed cool but was of limited use. Its setting at the end on the property was very nice, however, with two views on offer. Still, one can walk outside and see them from anywhere. Anyone using this suite as an outdoor party space would likely create a nuisance for others as sound really travels here. That said, we had quiet neighbors throughout.

-The regular suites are standard issue Aman, but not particularly well lit, not a lot of outlets and older TVs. Again, the look is chic but there isn't as much substance as
style.

-The staff could not have been lovelier - smiles all around. However, many were relatively new to this property and the service was not up to the price point. For example,
some of the meal service was very slow, wrong items brought, etc. A do not disturb sign was left on our door one morning while we had a quick breakfast only to return
20 minutes later to have not one but three people working in the room, saying they didn't notice it. While the service is not sharp, the staff was so nice that it didn't
bother us - we just went on whatever the southwest version of Island Time is and let it go.

-We liked the food very much - decent variety, with buffets plus ala carte available for lunch and dinner. Everything happens in one room - meals, check in, game area
and I imagine a long stay would get dull. There was a Nespresso Machine, some snacks and cold beverages in the rooms. Room service was also available.

-We had fantastic spa treatments and found the free classes and water areas excellent.

-We had a private tour of the slot canyons and, while we probably overpaid, it was an easy way to do it and I'd recommend it - the Navaho guide we had was superb. There
were cars available for guest use, but we did not take one out.

-It was not ideal for a toddler - the hard edges and cement all over the rooms was trouble waiting to happen and, in fact, the young child in our group sported several bruises
by the end of the four days. The hikes are not ideal for them as either narrow slots or rock face walking were dominant. There were several children on property and, one night, they ran out of high chairs for a period of time, which should not ever happen.

-As mentioned upstream, I don't think the mesa view is necessary. Nice to have but not hugely different. We had considered the 4 Bedroom house which is located a bit away from the main facilities - glad we didn't take it as the location would not have been convenient. It looks like they have roads in place to do additional building but it
looks like nothing has begun. One staffer mentioned that some of the plans are still up in the air, but did not provide more detail.

This is an incredibly beautiful part of the US and staying at Amangiri is a wonderful way to spend time here. Still, nothing was so special that I would go back again and
again, with so many other beautiful hiking locations available elsewhere.
Musken, BESVISOR and LinLant like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:18 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Mickidon
Just stayed with a group at Amangiri. While we had a fabulous time and found the setting astonishingly beautiful, I can't justify a return at the price points and relative inconvenience of the location. Part of my issue, I guess, is some Aman fatigue. I do love a proper suite and, failing that, some handy bedside storage, good lighting, etc.
and this was not in abundance. As well, I found the cement bed frame cold and downright dangerous. A few points:

-The Girijaala Suite was not worth the upcharge for us ($4700/5900!) as it is a regular room with a ton of outdoor space. If you plan to be outside enough, maybe, but, while the lap pool was lovely and private, the main pool is spectacular. There is pretty much no outdoor lighting at night and the upstairs section (day bed and telescope) seemed cool but was of limited use. Its setting at the end on the property was very nice, however, with two views on offer. Still, one can walk outside and see them from anywhere. Anyone using this suite as an outdoor party space would likely create a nuisance for others as sound really travels here. That said, we had quiet neighbors throughout.

-The regular suites are standard issue Aman, but not particularly well lit, not a lot of outlets and older TVs. Again, the look is chic but there isn't as much substance as
style.

-The staff could not have been lovelier - smiles all around. However, many were relatively new to this property and the service was not up to the price point. For example,
some of the meal service was very slow, wrong items brought, etc. A do not disturb sign was left on our door one morning while we had a quick breakfast only to return
20 minutes later to have not one but three people working in the room, saying they didn't notice it. While the service is not sharp, the staff was so nice that it didn't
bother us - we just went on whatever the southwest version of Island Time is and let it go.

-We liked the food very much - decent variety, with buffets plus ala carte available for lunch and dinner. Everything happens in one room - meals, check in, game area
and I imagine a long stay would get dull. There was a Nespresso Machine, some snacks and cold beverages in the rooms. Room service was also available.

-We had fantastic spa treatments and found the free classes and water areas excellent.

-We had a private tour of the slot canyons and, while we probably overpaid, it was an easy way to do it and I'd recommend it - the Navaho guide we had was superb. There
were cars available for guest use, but we did not take one out.

-It was not ideal for a toddler - the hard edges and cement all over the rooms was trouble waiting to happen and, in fact, the young child in our group sported several bruises
by the end of the four days. The hikes are not ideal for them as either narrow slots or rock face walking were dominant. There were several children on property and, one night, they ran out of high chairs for a period of time, which should not ever happen.

-As mentioned upstream, I don't think the mesa view is necessary. Nice to have but not hugely different. We had considered the 4 Bedroom house which is located a bit away from the main facilities - glad we didn't take it as the location would not have been convenient. It looks like they have roads in place to do additional building but it
looks like nothing has begun. One staffer mentioned that some of the plans are still up in the air, but did not provide more detail.

This is an incredibly beautiful part of the US and staying at Amangiri is a wonderful way to spend time here. Still, nothing was so special that I would go back again and
again, with so many other beautiful hiking locations available elsewhere.
Thanks for the great/detailed review!

Sorry to hear it was a bit of let down, though
Old May 13, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Thanks for the great/detailed review!

Sorry to hear it was a bit of let down, though
To add, and maybe slightly petty - none of us got a bag tag, which is sort of a given at Amans. Oddly, our two bags had NO tags on them when we got to the airport, so the Amansara and Amanyara ones somehow went missing in four days. I do not blame the hotel for that, but I do think that the tags have become the clear parting gift and the omission was noted by everyone, but too late to be actionable. I have reached out to the hotel and guess they will handle it appropriately.....
Old May 13, 2019, 1:37 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Mickidon
To add, and maybe slightly petty - none of us got a bag tag, which is sort of a given at Amans. Oddly, our two bags had NO tags on them when we got to the airport, so the Amansara and Amanyara ones somehow went missing in four days. I do not blame the hotel for that, but I do think that the tags have become the clear parting gift and the omission was noted by everyone, but too late to be actionable. I have reached out to the hotel and guess they will handle it appropriately.....

Haha, I wouldn't say that's being petty. As a fellow Junkie, I'd say those Tags do mean something and it's something I look forward to collecting throughout my visits.
I'm sure and hope they will send you some to make up for the oversight.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:08 am

Excellent trip report. It is good to know which hotels do actually offer a good price per value. It would appear that the stay would be more pleasurable if $2k were taken off the price per night. However as Amangiri is able to get the price they desire no change will happen.
Again, many thanks for the heads up!
bhrubin and BESVISOR like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:16 am
formerly htang333

Booking Giri during low season in the entry rooms, $1,600++/night - $1,800++/night, full board is still a good value, I think. But those days are limited and not everyone enjoys going in Jan and Feb. lol!
bhrubin and LinLant like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:19 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
not everyone enjoys going in Jan and Feb. lol!
And I am counting on that for the future!
Old May 14, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
We did the slot canyon tour through Amangiri during our last stay as well. Our guide was excellent, highly recommend it.
bhrubin and BESVISOR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.