Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Just returned from my birthday trip for 4 nights—this our 2nd stay in 4+ years. With our dog. Will post a more comprehensive review soon, but our highlights:

(1) Service and service recovery here are as strong as I’ve seen anywhere with Aman. A very disruptive group caused us and our friends some problems, and the Assistant GM Manpreet comp’d both of us a night of our stay. Very generous.

(2) This is an extraordinary Aman team. Considering how the hotel was at 100% occupancy for 2 of our 4 nights, that’s saying something. Everyone was wonderful. Not perfect, but truly authentic and impressive. I don’t think we ever heard “no” throughout our stay, and everyone bent over backward to try to help us, see if we might like anything else, ask us how we were doing, etc. Heck, one server remembered us from when he served us at Mukul exactly 4 years ago. That was crazy!

(3) Food and beverage is really good, even better and more refined than on our last visit. My bday dinner was extraordinary. The chef’s table menu was perhaps even better. We did have a few weak dishes and the menu isn’t huge. But they also encouraged us to ask for anything we wanted off menu—and then delivered. Remember that room rates include FULL BOARD.

(4) Activiites continue to be outrageously priced. We did the public tour of Upper Antelope for a mere $60/person...vs about $240/person through Aman. Of course, if you’ve never been to Upper and it’s the busier season, I actually still think the private Aman 3 Canyon tour is a prudent investment even at the higher price. (We also did Lower Antelope, which you cant do via Aman, for only $50/person. We might have liked that even more, believe it or not.)

(5) I vastly prefer visiting in the less crowded winter. Room rates are substantially less and there are far fewer people at the sights. Usually, apparently, Amangiri isn’t as full in Jan or most non-holiday winter weekends.

(6) It was confirmed numerous times for us that Aman Tokyo has the highest average occupancy of all Amans...followed by Amangiri. They were surprised when I told them how much better their service was than at Aman Tokyo.

(7) Even at full occupancy, I love this hotel.

(8) The hiking around property was a lot more fun in the cooler weather.

(9) I never even turned on the air con. We had to ask them to turn off the underfloor heating for me. And then we just opened the doors a bit and it cooled to 60 F within 10 min! We actually slept the last 2 nights with the door slight ajar but the curtains drawn to allow continuous cold air to placate me. It was bliss.

(10) The property is starting to see more dogs and has plans to offer more activities for dogs. We hiked around with our dog a lot and had a fabulous time.

(11) Flying a private charter into PGA was worth every penny for us.

(12) This time we had Desert View. It isn’t really any different to us than Mesa View. Just a bit cheaper. (Dogs have to be on the Desert wing,)

(13) At $1550 with full board, we think Amangiri is worth every penny.

(14) I can’t wait to return for our 3rd stay. This is the only Aman to which we’ve thus far returned.

(15) There are rumors of a glamping tent experience on site. We saw it and the construction zone. I think it’s for real and will become available sometime in the near future.
I’m curious exactly what the other party did to disrupt your stay (maybe generalities are fine). It really seems Amangiri made things right for you; how hard did you have to press?

glad to hear food was good; same chef as last visit or new? Did they charge you corkage for opening your wine (I assume you brought your own)

god its it’s gorgeous there; our stay was in March and I can’t inagine going any later than that as I loved the temperature it was. Plus, it’s the most perfectly heated pool I’ve ever experienced. We did public Antelope canyons tours as well; given the cost that Amangiri wanted.

Glanmping... interesting.

I would return. It’s so peaceful out there. Sounds like a great time and happy birthday.

Fdw

just to confirm though they got rid of the Keurigs right?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:05 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I’m curious exactly what the other party did to disrupt your stay (maybe generalities are fine). It really seems Amangiri made things right for you; how hard did you have to press?
The other group smoked and left cig butts everywhere. Smoked pot and the smell was problematic (I don’t care otherwise). Was loud and partying outside well past midnight both nights, playing loud music, loud karaoke, noticed easily from both of ours rooms on different nights. They were incredibly rude to everyone, incluidng other guests and staff. Despite being told repeatedly to keep noise down and to not go out in front of rooms in other people’s views.

Assistant GM came to us to offer service recovery without me asking...after our friends first spoke with him and let him know how disruptive the group had been. Didn’t press at all.

glad to hear food was good; same chef as last visit or new? Did they charge you corkage for opening your wine (I assume you brought your own)
Different exec chef and sous chef. Both very impressive and very friendly—and extremely accommodating. New F&B Director was an Assistant F&B Director when we stayed last time; he totally remembered us and made sure everything was to our liking.

We brought our own wine, had 5 of our 6 bottles. Charged $25 corkage for each. Very fair. I also brought a bottle of Glenfiddich 30 for myself...and had several drinks with friends in the lobby/restaurant/public spaces. Not an issue at all.

god its it’s gorgeous there; our stay was in March and I can’t inagine going any later than that as I loved the temperature it was. Plus, it’s the most perfectly heated pool I’ve ever experienced. We did public Antelope canyons tours as well; given the cost that Amangiri wanted.
I still haven’t been in a pool at Giri! But the vistas are incredible, indeed.

My husband had a massage, said it was top 10 ever. Our girlfriend has a massage and another treatment, said it was the best spa experience she’d ever had.

I would return. It’s so peaceful out there. Sounds like a great time and happy birthday.
Thanks!

just to confirm though they got rid of the Keurigs right?
Yep. All Nespressos now.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I am glad you enjoyed your trip but the thought of the hotel allowing everyone from southern california to bring their dog to the resort is a red flag for me
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Member

We are here now. Booked SNA-PGA via FlyMoments, but there are thousands of charter brokers you can use. I think Contour Airlines also now flies commercially from both LAS and PHX here to PGA, so there’s less need for a charter from those.

Very useful re Contour.

Here is somevdetail on Contour flights:
https://horseshoebend.com/scheduled-air-service/

We would enjoy having a dog or two about the premises.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 28, 2019 at 10:33 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

This is a rate I saw for March. All over pricing for the desert wing. Exact same time period in 2015 we paid $1200 per night.
That one night at 3k is a bit painful. It's full board but still.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:11 am

I just spoke with them on the phone asking if something special was going on that night. I though possibly a Carnevale party. No, just dynamic occupancy prices. Their rates are all over the place!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Aventine
That one night at 3k is a bit painful. It's full board but still.
A bargain (or as we in Germany say: Schnapper) is something else
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:13 pm

Interesting review, thanks for the details as usual, bhrubin!

While I adore Aman-i-Khás, I never really understood "glamping"... and Beverly Wilshire really took the cake with the tent on their roof top suite. What idiocy.

Interesting Girl now jumping on the bandwagon.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

giri has 600 acres, vs current area of rooms and villa
giri owner considered doing another dunton on giri site
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post20264668
New Aman - Southern Utah
(also planned / considered not opening dunton to public)

sep 2010 quote re tents , giri opened oct 2009
https://web.archive.org/web/20100915...-an-interview/
Amangiri could be arguably called a resort escarpment, in that it looks as if it naturally belongs where it is.

"But there is one more experience we are adding and will be ready to use in May. And those are the TENTS! You see, we have over 600 acres still on the Amangiri property. So, we have between five and six areas where we are discreetly placing these high end, rustic,luxurious, two bedroom tents. We think the tent experience will be wonderful for couples, families, anyone who would want to feel far from civilization and nearer to the stars."
aman COO 2017: total of 15 2BR tents with swimming pools, pantries

there just aren't any other hotels anywhere that can match its remote desert location, incredibly sparse views, and incredible design.
Originally Posted by aa213bb
absolutely stunning; both from the interior and the exterior
truly a stunning stunning locale
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
stunning location makes up for everything
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
600 acres of stunning desert and canyon
Originally Posted by callmedtop
locale of Amangiri is just that special and is the one property I want to return to the most
Originally Posted by ether
very isolated, almost like you are on another planet given the martian-like landscape
Originally Posted by kmklint
isolated and otherworldly, like going back in time a million years.
Originally Posted by Ericka
immediately blown away by the beautiful valley, the entrada sandstone and the vastness of the place.

unbelievably beautiful. It's a very special resort in a very special location.<br>
Originally Posted by xracer
location is amazing. It’s a cliché to say ‘the pictures do not do it justice’, but that really IS true here. Just hiking around the extensive trails on the expansive property is amazing, as you are very quickly out of sight of the resort and almost everything else man made and alone on the trails. It’s an amazing experience.

location is lovely and very unique
Originally Posted by ACfly
glorious...by far my favorite resort in US, completely different from all of the places that I have stayed in before. The resort is stunning in every sense of the word - and unlike any setting that I have been to - the only one that is comparable is Namibia. While could be a bit better, the setting and the resort infrastructure is really the key attraction! It is very peaceful here - your mind automatically tunes out of the daily worries with the majestic view of the landscape. If you are looking to relax mentally and spiritually, this is the place. Everywhere you look - either from your room (which is my favorite), the various public sitting areas, the pool - everywhere is stunning. Takes your breath away!
Originally Posted by Groombridge
Having grown up in Utah, I had wondered whether having spent so much time around such scenery would have somehow inured me to Amangiri's locale. But I was nothing less than astounded by the location--and that it was able to be purchased and used in this way. The resort is impeccably positioned to take full advantage of the incredible rock formations and vistas in all directions--from the position of the resort itself up against one of the rock formations to the dramatic outcroppings in all directions, this has got to be one of the most amazingly situated resorts in the world.

this is at the very top of my list of US resorts
Originally Posted by zigzag
The landscape really does look Martian or Lunar, depending on the light.

Climb the rocks behind the hotel, this is a really good way to see the resort from a different angle...great views of the resort from atop the rocks just beyond the swimming pool.

Walk into the desert at night and star gaze. On a clear night this is an incredible experience.
Originally Posted by kmklint
Do the beautiful on-site trails that lead to the Glen-canyon-land area. Glencanyon trials are adjacent to Amangiri, you have to use the ladder to climb over the fence, endless exploring. I also enjoyed the via ferrata. On certain nights they have the telescope out with a guy that will point out the planets,etc. Reserve the BMW 750 Li. We took it out and drove all the way to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, marble canyon, Lee's ferry etc.. They didn't care that we had it out all day, versus the usual 4 hour time slot. Great scenic drive.
hmm, canyon equity had 1300 acres adjacent to amangiri

zecha's eye for location (amangiri pool) is tough to replace

if occupancy really is that high, rates could be a lot worse

details on how giri came to be >
web.archive.org/web/20111127225251/http://globalista.co.uk/feature/amangiri-utah-by-bella-pollen
Amanresorts Thread 2013 (Started by Amanjunkie)

and >
archeyes.com/amangiri-resort-marwan-al-sayed-wendell-burnette-and-rick-joy/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 26, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by scented
Interesting review, thanks for the details as usual, bhrubin!

While I adore Aman-i-Khás, I never really understood "glamping"... and Beverly Wilshire really took the cake with the tent on their roof top suite. What idiocy.

Interesting Girl now jumping on the bandwagon.
Canyon Equity always wanted to build tented accommodation here and were all set to do so under Zecha, but I hear that they only just received the go-ahead from Aman, who were not too keen on the idea.
FlyerEC and scented like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:32 am

(4) Activiites continue to be outrageously priced. We did the public tour of Upper Antelope for a mere $60/person...vs about $240/person through Aman. Of course, if you’ve never been to Upper and it’s the busier season, I actually still think the private Aman 3 Canyon tour is a prudent investment even at the higher price. (We also did Lower Antelope, which you cant do via Aman, for only $50/person. We might have liked that even more, believe it or not.)
Same as I experienced during my last stay. I plan to be the first person to ever stay in The Amangiri Suite that pre-organises my own activities and skimps at every opportunity.
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:45 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Another tremendous stay

AMANGIRI

Map| 12 Reviews | 42% Recommended

AMANGIRI

1 Kayenta Road Utah, UT US 84741-285

Another tremendous stay (45 Photos)

AMANGIRI

With apologies for my delay in posting this, we enjoyed our second amazing stay at Amangiri in almost 5 years in late January 2019 to celebrate my 49th birthday. As it turns out, this place is a perfect place for me to visit in the cooler/colder season!

We were meeting friends from Sydney here, and it was that wife's second visit, too.

With daytime temps around the low 50s and evening temps dropping to high 20s/low 30s, the King of Air Con was in heaven. 

On our first stay in April 2015, we had Great Lakes Airlines and a very easy and cheap return flights via LAX-IGM-PGA. With Great Lakes first ending the LAX segment and then going bankrupt in 2018, we knew this would be our likely first shot at private aviation. While Contour Airlines now serves PGA to LAS and PHX, that wasn't looking so certain when we were planning our trip,

So with our dog, Macallan, in tow, we enjoyed our first private "jet" (turbo prop) air travel via SNA-PGA and back. It was glorious. But very pricey. 

20190124_102524.jpg

Landing in Page:

20190124_122105.jpg

On landing, a complimentary SUV and driver was waiting on the tarmac to pick us up for the 20 min drive to Amangiri. We never even touched our luggage until they were in our suite.

The property is as beautifully situated and as spectacularly blended into the scenery as any we've ever enjoyed.

20190128_122418.jpg

Bliss.

A quick overview of the property:

20190124_151856.jpg

20190124_152018.jpg

20190124_152050.jpg

20190124_152039.jpg

While technically dogs are not supposed to hang out in the main building, Macallan is a diva (like his mother) who always wants to be where we are. With gracious permission, we were able to hang with him on the reception side of the lounge, where Macallan curled up whenever we had drinks or played Mexican Train and Wizards. It helps that Ridgebacks are a great breed that don't bark and just want to lounge. 

20190124_184337.jpg

Check In

We were greeted by the Assist GM Manpreet Sidhu and some of the staff, including some who remembered us from almost 5 years ago. (I was stunned that there were that many people who still were here in such a remote locale for such a long duration, to be honest!) 

Within a few minutes, we were on our way to Desert View Suite 12.

(Dogs currently are only allowed on the Desert wing. The separate entrance/exit on that side made it quite obvious why this might be preferable, along with not having dogs traipsing through the central kitchen/dining/pool building.)

Room

On our last stay, we paid up for the Mesa View. This time, we had to have the Desert View since we brought our dog. To be honest, we couldn't much tell a difference. They're both spectacular views. From now on, we'd feel quite comfortable being on the Desert side. (Heck, if the Amangiri Suite is on the end of the Desert side, how bad can it be?)

20190124_141310.jpg

20190124_141335.jpg

20190124_141439.jpg

20190124_141602.jpg

1_20190124_141925.jpg

20190124_141540.jpg

20190124_141711.jpg

20190124_141732.jpg

20190124_141658.jpg

20190124_141725.jpg

We had some welcome amenities:

20190124_142406.jpg

They also had some hats for us as returning Amanjunkies. Nice touch. Not my favorite hat, though!

20190124_143204.jpg

And Macallan felt right at home almost immediately.

20190124_143308.jpg

Service

Service was very impressive. While not perfect, it was darn close--even with service recovery when a very disruptive group caused quite a stir for everyone on premises.

First, this is an extraordinary Aman team. Considering how the hotel was at 100% occupancy for 2 of our 4 nights, that’s saying something. Everyone was wonderful. Not perfect, but truly authentic and impressive. I don’t think we ever heard “no” throughout our stay, and everyone bent over backward to try to help us, see if we might like anything else, ask us how we were doing, etc. Heck, one server remembered us from when he served us at Mukul exactly 4 years ago. That was crazy!

Second, staff constantly looked out for us while never feeling intrusive. While food/beverage service sometimes could be slow, the manager was never far to take care of it. 

Third, we really connected again with some of the staff. The food/beverage team are awesome and hilarious. The activities team is also quite fun. The management is also very friendly and very helpful.

Finally, the disruptive group. Wow, a bunch of total jerks from LA caused issues for everyone--guests and staff alike. They were rude to staff, and rude to other guests, leaving cigarette butts everywhere, walking in front of the property where guests are not allowed so the views are not disturbed, playing loud music into the wee hours of the night, etc. We've never seen any group anywhere be so rude and unapologetically inconsiderate. Even after you knew the staff had tried to get them to behave, they misbehaved. 

Fortunately, Asst GM Manpreet Sidhu took care of us and comp'd one of our four nights (and did the same for our friends) and offered free massage treatments to us all. (I gave mine to my husband.) We all felt that was more than generous. We actually suggested they charge our lost 2 nights revenue to the group of jerks!

I know some think the Asian Amans have the best service, but again we felt that Amangiri lived up to Aman easily as well. And at full occupancy, no less. Sorry, but the Asian Amans rarely are full except for Tokyo--and we know all too well the service failings there. 

To me, this is one of the most impressive Amans for service, even with it being imperfect here and there. We just always felt so comfortable, so looked after, so right at home in the middle of nowhere. Kudos.

Dining

Dining was a highlight--though it did have its uneven moments. We all felt that dining had improved from our last stays--and we all enjoyed the dining then, too! But the F&B team now is even better.

I leave it to moderators to delete my food photos, but since this property is full board and since that is a critical element for our stay, I am posting some photos of our food.

First, I asked the chef to prepare a special birthday dinner for us. We had it on our second night in the private dining room across from the kitchen, just as we'd had our anniversary dinner there in 2015. It was a glorious dinner!

20190125_220228.jpg

20190125_215312.jpg

20190125_213508.jpg

20190125_221228.jpg

20190125_224635.jpg

The entire meal was delicious. But that celebration strawberry shortcake dessert was just too good. I was dining on that for dessert for several other meals!

Our other meals were great. My husband did have a fish meal he thought was a bit overcooked once, and our friends had a beef dish another night they thought overcooked. Those were quickly replaced when the miss was mentioned, to their credit. But my meals were almost always spectacularly good. 

Some other highlights:

20190126_100433.jpg

20190124_150205.jpg

20190124_150034.jpg

20190124_150155.jpg

20190124_210146.jpg

20190126_144007.jpg

20190126_210856.jpg

20190124_221529.jpg

20190124_221521.jpg

And for our last evening, they really went crazy for us:

1_20190127_225049.jpg

Turns out that F&B was a total highlight of our stay. Sublime! Kudos again!

'Nuff said.

Horsehoe Bend.

20190125_130836.jpg

On property.

20190124_163413.jpg

20190126_160447.jpg

Upper Antelope Canyon.

20190126_122037.jpg

20190126_124930.jpg

Lower Antelope Canyon--our first time, and we loved it.

20190127_133350.jpg

20190127_134703.jpg

20190127_135639.jpg

Forgot to mention that we used the loaner BMW for our last day exploring Lower Antelope Canyon. You get use of the car for up to 4 hours, and we used it for just about that duration. The team clearly went out of its way to make sure we had the use of this after we'd inquired about it earlier in our stay.

20190128_112602.jpg

Overall

We loved it--again. We already are talking about when we can go back. Probably not until 2021...but I'm not sure I want to wait that long. 

Another tremendous stay

Would you like to write a review on the AMANGIRI?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:52 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Thanks for the write up! Glad it was a memorable birthday extravaganza
We were sad to have missed joining the trip.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:20 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks for the report. Love your dog! <3 I am never tired of seeing pictures of this resort. Brings back many nice memories and I would love to go back.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:34 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Seeing Macallan makes me miss having a dog to travel with. Thanks for the great write up!
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.