Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop
There was a very generous service recovery by the GM for our issues, mainly around the wedding planning issues (which nearly was a complete disaster, and makes my blood boil just thinking about it), but the whole stay did leave a bad taste in our mouth. We are still considering it for our wedding, because its just that gorgeous, but we are very concerned from a service aspect.

If your blood boils from thinking about any incident at a hotel, I cannot imagine you'd want to host your wedding there. Period! I always say not to force something...and this sounds like you are still trying to find a way to force an Amangiri wedding despite your service concerns. Don't do it. Have your wedding somewhere else. Go back to Giri for a holiday when you can enjoy it on your own and not worry on behalf of dozens of friends/guests.

(FWIW I'm back from suspension...which ironically coincided perfectly with our 3 week trip to India from which we just returned!)
Old Feb 9, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
If your blood boils from thinking about any incident at a hotel, I cannot imagine you'd want to host your wedding there. Period! I always say not to force something...and this sounds like you are still trying to find a way to force an Amangiri wedding despite your service concerns. Don't do it. Have your wedding somewhere else. Go back to Giri for a holiday when you can enjoy it on your own and not worry on behalf of dozens of friends/guests.

(FWIW I'm back from suspension...which ironically coincided perfectly with our 3 week trip to India from which we just returned!)
You're 100% right - which is why my fiance and I decided to officially write it off from our list of options last night. It really is a spectacular location / venue for what we are looking for, but the concerns ultimately outweigh the benefits.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
You're 100% right - which is why my fiance and I decided to officially write it off from our list of options last night. It really is a spectacular location / venue for what we are looking for, but the concerns ultimately outweigh the benefits.
We hosted our wedding at Aman Sveti Stefan with a casual party on queens's beach on day one and the wedding and dinner taking place on the island on day two. I cannot speak highly enough of the level of service and attention to detail that the Aman team demonstrated. While the initial contact was with the GM, the detailed planning was done by a dedicated team. As Amanjunkies we had high expectiations and were not diasppointed.

It was Aman style at its best.

If this would be an option for you, I can highly recommend it.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GK1998
We hosted our wedding at Aman Sveti Stefan with a casual party on queens's beach on day one and the wedding and dinner taking place on the island on day two. I cannot speak highly enough of the level of service and attention to detail that the Aman team demonstrated. While the initial contact was with the GM, the detailed planning was done by a dedicated team. As Amanjunkies we had high expectiations and were not diasppointed.

I just PMed you. Must be a small world, but we actually just booked flights to Aman SS yesterday as we think the property may be great for our wedding. Isolated, but not too isolated, with enough to do for our family, and the scenery is stunning.

Very different than New York or Paris (where we are also considering) but seems like a better choice than Amangiri on multiple levels.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

I just PMed you. Must be a small world, but we actually just booked flights to Aman SS yesterday as we think the property may be great for our wedding. Isolated, but not too isolated, with enough to do for our family, and the scenery is stunning.

Very different than New York or Paris (where we are also considering) but seems like a better choice than Amangiri on multiple levels.
That ' s a brilliant suggestion !

Kevin B was a wonderful GM before moving on .
Then current GM , Tapa T & his wife Jane , are really amazing . They have hosted various weddings when they were at Pulo .
Another Amanjunkie & FTer was thrilled when we were there & held theirs on Pulo later the same year . Beautifully arranged & followed through by Jane .

You will be carefully taken care of !
I can ' t wait to see them again at AmanSS .

Am also hoping to get to Giri but hoping to hear positives about the service first !
Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:01 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Am also hoping to get to Giri but hoping to hear positives about the service first !
I gotta say that we had fantastic service during our stay in April 2015. (I just fixed the photos in my review here, too.)

Having just been to Amanbagh not a week ago, which everyone raves about and we also enjoyed, I'd say our overall experience at Amangiri was quite comparable...and I'd give food and beverage and service about the same marks, too!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:39 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I gotta say that we had fantastic service during our stay in April 2015. (I just fixed the photos in my review here, too.)

Having just been to Amanbagh not a week ago, which everyone raves about and we also enjoyed, I'd say our overall experience at Amangiri was quite comparable...and I'd give food and beverage and service about the same marks, too!
That ' s good to know , what a relief !
Just back from Phuket too , with the mad CNY / LNY crush , thankfully wasn't too bad at Puri or Trisara .

How was it at the USA airports ? Was wondering if all ok at LAX , SFO , LAS , SEA , JFK , etcetera to get to Gani or Giri ..
Can resume planning , if not will have to be Canadian non Aman options
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:27 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Great call on Aman SS as a wedding venue!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:17 am

We're headed to Amangiri next week and I was wondering what the must-do/see activities are? We already have the Canyon Tours and Lake Powell on the list, hoping to add the hot air balloon ride - but still have 2 days of "free" time. Any rec's would be highly appreciated!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Grand Canyon North Rim, a Via Ferrata, Antelope Canyon (gorgeous), POWER lounging
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Tenk
We're headed to Amangiri next week and I was wondering what the must-do/see activities are? We already have the Canyon Tours and Lake Powell on the list, hoping to add the hot air balloon ride - but still have 2 days of "free" time. Any rec's would be highly appreciated!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:22 pm

Just returned from a 4 night stay. Overall we had a great time. The setting was beyond spectacular and while the room was not overly spacious, it was comfortable and adequately maintained. Activities were also very well planned and thought out (we especially enjoyed the Hoodoo via ferrata climb). Restaurant service was generally good except for a few staff who seemed new and still in training and we enjoyed the food quite a lot. Chef Christian was able to prepare a special menu for us on the third night and our private dinner on the last night was phenomenal.

The only aspect of the stay that impaired our experience was the overall service as it was significantly below other Amans and do not even measure up to your average Four Seasons. Management never made an appearance either on arrival or at departure (the GM was on site the whole time, but we understand that he is new to the role as the previous GM departed just a few weeks ago). Housekeeping was especially disappointing (missing items, not refreshing rooms, and very sloppy). When we checked in the duvet was probably not dried properly and there were multiple large lumps of hard feather and we had to call twice to have it replaced. They also mixed up welcome cards a few times and placed another party's anniversary amenity in our suite. Another couple we spoke to during our stay mentioned they found dead roaches in their suite more than once.

All in all we did enjoy our time here but the management team really needs to work on improving the overall service level to match what guests expect from an Aman (or any hotel that charges $2,500 per night...!)
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Fc912
(the GM was on site the whole time, but we understand that he is new to the role as the previous GM departed just a few weeks ago).
Interesting. Mr. Duggan didn't stay very long. I liked him very much. He came from St Regis San Francisco and now has moved on to Westin Washington DC City Center.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GM promoted, external hire in apr 2016

unfortunately chef jacob anaya left in feb
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Fc912

The only aspect of the stay that impaired our experience was the overall service as it was significantly below other Amans and do not even measure up to your average Four Seasons. Management never made an appearance either on arrival or at departure (the GM was on site the whole time, but we understand that he is new to the role as the previous GM departed just a few weeks ago). Housekeeping was especially disappointing (missing items, not refreshing rooms, and very sloppy). When we checked in the duvet was probably not dried properly and there were multiple large lumps of hard feather and we had to call twice to have it replaced. They also mixed up welcome cards a few times and placed another party's anniversary amenity in our suite. Another couple we spoke to during our stay mentioned they found dead roaches in their suite more than once.

All in all we did enjoy our time here but the management team really needs to work on improving the overall service level to match what guests expect from an Aman (or any hotel that charges $2,500 per night...!)
I would want some of that 2500 per night back if that happened to me. That all sounds more like a 3star hotel than an Aman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.