Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:05 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Centurion
Could you all please just post what you paid and approximate date. I really do not care about rate cards, etc. I have said at the best suites in Vegas that go for over 20K and I did pay even ten percent. So please post some rates and not the price is the rack rate card.
Aman ain't Vegas, baby. If you want to go, you'll pay rack rate. There will probably be packages available for the cooler months (when the resort is less crowded), but again, the rates that are listed on the website for these packages are the rates that you will pay.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion
Could you all please just post what you paid and approximate date. I really do not care about rate cards, etc. I have said at the best suites in Vegas that go for over 20K and I did pay even ten percent. So please post some rates and not the price is the rack rate card.
Aman in general is pretty inelastic with their pricing- the only deviation from this is the occasional promotion which a good Virtuoso agent will keep you up to date about- the problem typically with Aman is not getting a discount but simply getting a room- often fully booked way ahead of time.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
the problem typically with Aman is not getting a discount but simply getting a room- often fully booked way ahead of time.
Exactly!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:24 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
TRIP REPORT: Amangiri (Utah)

When we found ourselves in Phoenix, Arizona as part of a family Thanksgiving, we couldn't resist a stop at Amangiri. We self-drove 4 hours from PHX to the Grand Canyon, staying at the historic Buckey O'Neill cabin directly on the edge of the South Rim. We drove the remaining 2.5 hours to Amangiri using the directions provided by the resort which made it easy to find. Staff members buzzed us onto the property and we were immediately blown away by the beautiful valley, the entrada sandstone and the vastness of the place.

This was our 17th Amanresort, and we found it to be the most striking of all. We normally don't appreciate very contemporary architecture or decor, but the resort blended so well with the landscape. As most of the resort's activities were geared towards the outdoors, people were dressed in hiking and workout clothes giving Amangiri a very comfortable, casual feel.

Driveway

Public Spaces
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:28 am

Suite

We stayed in a base level desert view suite. Amangiri was at or near full capacity so there were no upgrades available, but that didn't matter since all of the (interior) room layouts were the same and the plateau view from our room was spectacular. The floor to ceiling windows brought the outside in; as did the white and cream stone, light colored concrete, gray green tile, and natural stained "barn wood" doors. There was no private place for our 3-year old's rollaway bed since the room layout was one large open space and the bathroom/vanity area, while generously sized, was too narrow. So we asked GM Christophe to locate a privacy screen for us and he was kind enough to purchase a beautiful brown leather one which we hope other families will make use of in the future. (Thanks to DavidO for facilitating this discussion). Both our king bed and the rollaway were incredibly comfortable and fluffy. We're not sure if this was their standard bedding or if they automatically placed a mattress topper for us based on our profile. Our room also had a romantic outdoor gas fireplace with a very Aman-like outdoor lounging space. Guests staying in warmer months would enjoy the higher room categories with larger terraces and pools.

Desert Suite #16

Bedroom

Terrace
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:30 am

Service

We would characterize the service at Amangiri as genuinely friendly, but there were definitely some employees who were young and/or inexperienced. There were some service hiccups which we outline below in Opportunities for Improvement. But there were also a few folks that really "got it". Jade did a remarkable job helping us plan our activities in advance of our stay. Our private guides were both personable and incredibly knowledgeable about the area. And Chef Jon created an exact replica of a McDonalds Chicken McNugget for our toddler son. He obviously sent someone out on a reconnaissance mission in order to copy the batter and shape, and even collect dipping sauces. It's the most our son ate all week and we got a chuckle out of it, too; freshly made with high quality ingredients, they were the best McNuggets ever!

A Frequent Visitor
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:31 am

Dining

We really loved the food at the resort. There were some great house smoked meats, a fabulous brussel sprout side dish featuring bacon and cranberries, an unusual duck egg omelet and some wonderful pastries with breakfast. They were trying out a "breakfast table" and "lunch table" concept while we were there which were....not buffets. :-) The "tables" could be used as a standalone meal or as a supplement to items ordered off the menu. The food quality at the "tables" was excellent and looked like a nice option for folks rushing out for a hike.

Signature Aman Salt & Pepper
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:34 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Ericka, it is always such a pleasure reading your reviews. Looking forward to more photos and descriptions of how your toddler is enjoying his travel.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:35 am

Activities

We made the most of our few days at Amangiri and did many activities as a family. We took our son on a private guided hike to the Broken Arrow cave which was inhabited from 6300 BC. The most well preserved of these peoples' artifacts were on display inside the resort, but many artifacts and petroglyphs could still be seen inside the cave itself. When we got back from the hike, our son made a point to tell everyone about the "poop" (coprolite) in the cave! The resort also lit a bonfire for us at the desert lounge so that we could introduce our son to s'mores. For our last family adventure, we drove Amangiri's complementary BMW 650i Gran Coupe to the Big Water Visitor Center to view their small dinosaur collection and child-friendly gift shop. There were wonderful opportunities to view marine fossils and dinosaur footprints in the desert, but we assumed this was beyond a 3-year old's understanding.

We left our son with a sitter so we could participate in a few of Amangiri's more adult-oriented activities. As Land Rover enthusiasts, we especially enjoyed the Secret Canyon Hummer tour which included some desert driving and steep rock crawls. The slot canyon itself is privately owned so we were the only people there with our guide. It was an amazingly quiet, awe-inspiring experience. We also visited the resort spa, undoubtedly one of the finest among the Amanresorts for both beauty and range of facilities. We took advantage of the sauna, steam room, cold plunge pool and hot tub. Our massages were both excellent; we opted for 90 minutes of deep tissue and hot stone.

Big Water Visitor Center

Secret Canyon Hummer

Secret Canyon Hummer

Secret Canyon
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:37 am

Opportunities for Improvement

Nothing went horribly wrong on this trip, but there were some annoyances that could be brought up to Aman standards.
- Guest assistants and restaurant staff had to regularly ask someone else before they could fulfill a simple request (like ordering a restaurant menu item for room service). Room service was hit or miss, depending on who was taking the order.
- We asked for an early turn down but housekeeping never came after one hour and a few gentle reminders. We ended up canceling turn down altogether.
- One of the resort babysitters overslept and instead of the resort proactively correcting the situation, it took a few of our own calls to the front desk to determine that she was not coming. The resort quickly found a replacement for us, but we ended up late for one of our activities as a result.
- The resort ran out of ethanol for all of the suites' gas fireplaces halfway through our stay.

Details
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:38 am

Summary

We plan to return again because there were so many activities we weren't able to take advantage of; hot air ballooning, via ferrata, paleantology excursions, late night star gazing, etc. And of course, Amangiri was unbelievably beautiful. It's a very special resort in a very special location.

Pool
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:44 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks, Ericka! We are going to Amangiri in April for our anniversary, so we will hope they have sorted the service issues you mentioned. I'm delighted that you were so pleased with the food, since that has been the most common critique I've heard of the property, along with the service issues you mentioned.

I've been in touch with Christophe about planning a special anniversary dinner. Any thoughts or recommendations you might have, having already been there?

Thanks again for the report!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Gorgeous photos, thanks for sharing! Looks like a stunning resort.

The pool looks especially inviting for relaxing after a day of hiking in the heat. Beautiful.

Love the McNugget story too

Surprised by the turndown and sitter slip-ups for a property of that caliber/price point, but it seems like they didn't impact your stay too much. Glad you had a great time!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:03 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks, Ericka! We are going to Amangiri in April for our anniversary, so we will hope they have sorted the service issues you mentioned. I'm delighted that you were so pleased with the food, since that has been the most common critique I've heard of the property, along with the service issues you mentioned.

I've been in touch with Christophe about planning a special anniversary dinner. Any thoughts or recommendations you might have, having already been there?

Thanks again for the report!
Regarding special dinner I am sureyou have been told about "Ravens nest". It is possible to have a private dinner there including a traditional performance if you want to, or just dinner, bonfire and a spectacular setting. I recommend going on horseback riding first to end up there for the dinner. Very romantic.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

TRIP REPORT: Amangiri (Utah)

And also for me to Erica thank You so much for the nice report. Totally agree with you that it is one of the most spectacular Amans that I have been to in terms of setting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.