Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amangiri Trip Reports (combined threads)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Seems that Great Lakes has finally gone under. No more scheduled flights in/out of Page.

If anyone is heading to Amangiri last week of APR and wants to share a plane, DM me....

Can be PHX/LAX/SNA/SFO etc
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:10 pm

We finally made it to Amangiri and (spoiler alert) it did not disappoint one bit!

Service: We spent 4 nights at Amangiri and had ZERO service issues. From pre-booking queries & pre-stay requests to execution at the resort, our biggest complaint was probably the fact that the Scrabble game in the library was missing a few pieces. This is our 5th Aman stay and our first in the USA, and especially after reading this thread we had low expectations, but this stay surpassed even the "Aman Asia expectations". Subtleties like cleaning our car between trips and always making sure there was cold water in the cup holder were appreciated but there were so many bigger gestures that really made the trip so perfect.

F&B: Without going into too many details, my wife and I were traveling for a very momentous occasion and we adhere to a VERY strict diet so we were far from easy customers. Lots of different specialty items needed to be ordered in advance by the chef and a sterile cooking area for our diet(s) needed to be set aside in the kitchen. Chef Anthony Marazita is more than just a great chef, he is a true gentleman. He spent lots of time in advance of our stay communicating the different menu options he thought would work and really came through providing us with high quality, beautifully presented meals throughout our stay. He printed daily, personalized menus for each meal that reflected the occasion and constantly looked for ways to impress us.The Chef and his team made sure to be approachable and even met with us daily to review the past meals and discuss our options for the next day. Kudos to the F&B Dept. at Amangiri, they really outdid themselves!

Activities: This is where Amangiri really shines. While Amanjiwo had some cool options, most of the other Amans we have stayed at have been amazing but lacked unique activities and trips. Amangiri is really quite the opposite in this dept. The Amangiri Experience Team is loaded with young, adventurous and fun-loving staff who encourage you to partake in the activities YOU will enjoy and not just the ones that cost a lot of $$. The complimentary group hikes (8 AM & 5 PM daily) are both lots of fun and quiet beautiful and are a good way to see some great views of the resorts and its amazing landscapes. Among the activities, one that really stood out as really special to us was the Via Ferrata rock climbing. I am not usually the adventurous type but everyone from Chef Anthony to Rob at the Experience Team really encouraged me to give it a try so I followed my (much more adventurous) wife along and figured that I could always bail out and catch a good nap at the foot of the ascent while I waited for them to finish. Sure enough, we ended up with a wonderful guide who had all the patience in the world and made a true effort to teach me all the in and outs so I would be calm and collected and could enjoy. By the time we were done, I was asking when we could go again and truly relished this great experience. Another great experience was Horseshoe Bend, a 25 min drive away right outside Page, AZ. After a short hike, you chance upon some of the most beautiful views in the region as well as some of the dumbest people you will ever see in your life. I'm referring to people dangling their spouses, children and even pets on short ledges above the canyon in an effort to get some cool pictures. Seems like they are in the process of adding some barriers though it can't happen soon enough. We also enjoyed the Three Canyon Tour though I would avoid Upper Antelope next time as the traffic there does not allow for much more than some quick glances.

Upper Antelope:

OK, this is how it really looks inside the canyon:

Via Ferrata (our favorite activity)

The exhilarating views from Horseshoe Bend (My G-D, the things people will do to get a good picture):

Homeward Bound:

Last edited by damaxer91; May 8, 2018 at 9:05 am
Old May 6, 2018, 5:23 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
AMAZING pictures!
Old May 6, 2018, 6:58 pm

For those who have asked about the journey to Amangiri, we broke up the trip from Vegas with a day trip to Zion and then a 2 night stay at the Bryce Canyon Estate followed by a quick stop at Grand Staircase before our arrival at Amangiri. The Estate is at the edge of Duck Creek and has some of the most breathtaking panoramic views we've ever seen. Early AM risers will enjoy all of the elk and deer gathering in the feeding pond only a few feet from the home. We used the time at the Estate to relax, cook some meals and catch up on sleep so did not really venture out much in the immediate area. Mattie, the caretaker at the The Estate is a licensed masseuse and we highly recommend her services!

Overall it was a great addition to our Amangiri trip and we would highly recommend.

SanDiego1K, FlyerEC and BESVISOR like this.

Last edited by damaxer91; May 6, 2018 at 7:04 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I love this region. Thanks for rememberig me^
Old May 7, 2018, 11:30 am

I second that the via ferrata is a fantastic activity. Wasn't as difficult physically as I expected but fantastic views and a general thrilling experience.

I also highly recommend the hike/personal training + massage package the spa offers. A trainer will take you on a 20-30 mins hike to a beautiful wooden platform with a nice hot tub and big open deck, then you have a one hour personal training session followed by a great outdoor thai massage. You can then order some food / drinks and enjoy the hot tub before either walking back (on flat road) or being picked up.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i had noticed Bryce Canyon Estate, great to hear first hand
and of course fantastic giri report, hopefully a good sign

Originally Posted by Fc912
recommend the hike/personal training + massage
seem to recall sanctuary scottsdale doing something like this for camelback mountain, some of the homes in hotel inventory are on the side of the mountain. scottsdale / phoenix, and salt lake city / park city, offer alternative accommodations on way to amangiri, vs vegas.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 13, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old May 8, 2018, 6:48 am
Aman Contributor Badge

It is such an amazing resort. Thanks for the beautiful pictures.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:58 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Heading there this fall...so great to see a positive review!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:16 pm

Can someone describe how meals work here? I understand all 3 meals are included, but can we dine anytime and is there a limit on how much food is ordered? Also, do they provide takeout options if we are out doing activities during the day? Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:36 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kevneerg
Can someone describe how meals work here? I understand all 3 meals are included, but can we dine anytime and is there a limit on how much food is ordered? Also, do they provide takeout options if we are out doing activities during the day? Thanks
Meals are included as part of the room rate only in the low season, I believe. During the rest of the year, meals (other than breakfast) aren’t usually included.

We will be here for our second time in Jan 2019 for 4 nights, and all our meals are included. I’m sure a reasonable amount of food is included. If resorts can offer free breakfast without any issue, I’m sure it’s not so hard to make lunch and dinner available in similar fashion. If we want more, we simply will pay for more.

I’d assume takeout options may involve an extra charge, but I’m not sure.

If you are in doubt or need specific info, go to the source and contact Amangiri and ask!

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 23, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:04 am

Menu

Originally Posted by kevneerg
Meals are included except during the off-season. I think they are included March through November but check with hotel to confirm if you’re near the edge. When included, they include all 3 meals whether eaten in restaurant, room service or takeaway for lunch. Breakfast recently was 6-10, lunch 11-3 and dinner 6-10. It’s possible they vary the times by season. Breakfast is combination of a la Carte off of menu plus buffet cold items. Lunch at least when I was there was a la carte off menu. And dinner was multiple extensive menus, 1 of which varied and 2 of which remained constant. 2 were set 4-5 course menus, 1 was a la carte, and you could mix and match by person or even individually. All was good.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Roka
Meals are included except during the off-season. I think they are included March through November but check with hotel to confirm if you’re near the edge.
Ah, I think you have it reversed? Meals are included in the off-season (usually Dec-February); meals are not included in the higher to high seasons (usually March-November).
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

meals have been included for a few years now

was never seasonal, unless brief changes

i have been looking at website annually
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
meals have been included for a few years now

was never seasonal, unless brief changes

i have been looking at website annually
Actually, you’re right. When we last went in April 2014, meals were only included low season and weren’t included in the March-November high season.

Of course, the room rates for the March-November high season are now substantially higher than they were for us in April 2014, even as the low season rates arent comparably higher. So the meal inclusions for March-November concomitantly follow with substantially higher rates. I am not convinced that the high season meal inclusions are much of a deal at all, therefore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.