Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Gallivanters's Ultimate Hotel Guide 7th Edition

Gallivanters's Ultimate Hotel Guide 7th Edition

Old Jun 27, 13, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Folks, I really don't see any need for personal attacks and in any case, it's contrary to the FT terms of service. I know any public figure, such as the editor of a travel newsletter, is going to get this sort of thing -- but it'll have to be somewhere other than this forum.

Right now I am not butchering this thread, but it is perilously close to getting that treatment. Please don't attack individuals (either Ms Middlehurst or other FT members) and instead focus on your views on the work itself.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jun 28, 13 at 10:17 pm
Old Jun 27, 13, 3:31 pm

The guide is a good read in order to discover new hotels, however I never expect to receive the same treatment that she seems to enjoy.

Just looking at her twitter account, she seems to be pretty active in contacting / keeping in touch with the hotels she decides to go to . So she doesn't seem to review properties on an anonymous basis. Though, looking at the cover of the 2013 edition with the GV penthouse terrasse picture, i would be curious to know if she forks out the 20k/ night rate ...
Old Jun 27, 13, 3:56 pm
Community Director

I appreciate this thread as I wouldn't have known otherwise about the book. 28 GBP including shipping is great value to allow me to drool over some places I'd like to go.
Old Jun 27, 13, 7:27 pm

I love GG and all what Lyn says. I also keep going back to the same resorts the guide has been accused of repeating to often, as that is where I am treated well. The staff go above and beyond because I am a return guest and they know what I like. Very much like the 3 or 4 restaurants I always go to, not caring about the newest one that just opened Loyal and repeat guests get treated better.
Old Jun 27, 13, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
What is key about this book is that, for 28, you are effectively getting the last 5 years of Gallivanters Guide, which would have cost you 600 originally!
Old Jun 28, 13, 12:51 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
A few points come to mind

The General Managers of the hotels she visits will fully understand the influence the guide has on steering wealthy well heeled travellers to pick their hotels over a competitors.

The readership of the guide understands that she does not travel incognito. It is absolutely clear, there is no pretence otherwise.

Travel Agents often get good rates and decent rooms at hotels, presumably again because of their ability to influence customers, so why not guide writers. I once met a lecturer in travel and tourism in Borneo who was able to secure preferential rates (as well as other perks) on the basis of his job.

If I could make a reasonable living by travelling around the world stopping in the world's finest hotels, getting treated like VIP, write some reviews, and get people to pay what is relatively a lot of money to read those reviews, why wouldn't I?
Old Jun 28, 13, 2:11 am

I find Lyn's book fantastic and the griping by others on this post about the prose, etc is rather melodramatic. I have had great experience at the FS HK, but as others note, you may not always get the same amenities if you book the cheapest room and expect your standard room to have all the amenities that others for in a suite or in the executive club. Its the same as not booking a pool suite at an Aman and complaining you didn't find the main pool very private..

Andrew Harper has gone down hill in recent years. It's hard to respect a man's taste when he considers the St Regis the best city hotel in the world. It is in my opinion a tier 2 Starwood on most days.
Old Jun 28, 13, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC View Post
A few points come to mind

The General Managers of the hotels she visits will fully understand the influence the guide has on steering wealthy well heeled travellers to pick their hotels over a competitors.

The readership of the guide understands that she does not travel incognito. It is absolutely clear, there is no pretence otherwise.

Travel Agents often get good rates and decent rooms at hotels, presumably again because of their ability to influence customers, so why not guide writers. I once met a lecturer in travel and tourism in Borneo who was able to secure preferential rates (as well as other perks) on the basis of his job.

If I could make a reasonable living by travelling around the world stopping in the world's finest hotels, getting treated like VIP, write some reviews, and get people to pay what is relatively a lot of money to read those reviews, why wouldn't I?
Indeed ,
Old Jun 28, 13, 3:09 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LH Senator ** (ex SR TC G), Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Sorry, I thought people might have a sense of fun, humour and irony on this site.
Certainly no sense of fun or whatever on this site when it comes to that specific "guide" or whatever it can be called .

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
Goodness. I'm actually speechless. I can't think of a good comeback to this tripe that wouldn't get me banned.
A very good idea to be careful if you like your own presence here .

Originally Posted by paul2 View Post
I'm a subscriber of the monthly guide and I've bought the seventh edition of the book.
I love it, I love Lyn's style of writing and sense of fun which comes through so clearly to me.
This is your perfect right. I also find Gallivanter's entertaining and her contributions on FT valuable. This said all is just so "dj vu" - no discoveries to be expected - always the same usual beaten tracks. Would love to read the book - sure it will lay around at some property I will stay as does her newsletter. Her kind of writing is very personal and pleasant to read for sure.

Just saw the book on sale for GBP 28 - I am tempted.
Old Jun 28, 13, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Blackbook View Post
Andrew Harper has gone down hill in recent years. It's hard to respect a man's taste when he considers the St Regis the best city hotel in the world. It is in my opinion a tier 2 Starwood on most days.
Which St. Regis are we talking about?
Old Jun 28, 13, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
Which St. Regis are we talking about?
The original, in NYC, I believe
Old Jun 28, 13, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by behuman View Post
I would gladly pay GBP 200 for The Ultimate Hotel Guide, if not more. I am eternally grateful to Lyn, as she has helped to open up the world to me in terms of my travels. She has exquisite taste, and most often I agree with everything she writes. Most of all I appreciate her sense of humor as well. It is an absolute pleasure each time I check my mailbox and find a new issue of the Guide.

I have been upset by some of the comments in this thread, which in my view seem to be emanating from posters with questionable levels of travel experience, and have been in very bad taste. I would be highly disappointed if Lyn ever changed a thing about her writing style or the properties she selects.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 28, 13 at 8:37 pm
Old Jun 29, 13, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
I would gladly pay GBP 200 for The Ultimate Hotel Guide, if not more. I am eternally grateful to Lyn, as she has helped to open up the world to me in terms of my travels. She has exquisite taste, and most often I agree with everything she writes. Most of all I appreciate her sense of humor as well. It is an absolute pleasure each time I check my mailbox and find a new issue of the Guide.

I have been upset by some of the comments in this thread, which in my view seem to be emanating from posters with questionable levels of travel experience, and have been in very bad taste. I would be highly disappointed if Lyn ever changed a thing about her writing style or the properties she selects.
I agree with this completely. I was indeed referring to the original and quite frankly the only St Regis that should have ever been built since Starwood struggles to keep it a five star hotel.
Old Jun 29, 13, 4:30 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
Originally Posted by behuman View Post

+1
Old Jun 29, 13, 4:57 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Exp, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
I think I might say that in an earlier life I was a professional writer and if I contributed a para like that I would expect to be sacked on the spot.
Ha-ha, I agree.

Originally Posted by xracer View Post
Leaving aside the writing style issue noted by Pausanias, I actually have a question about the content of what was posted. Having been to the FSHK a couple of times (and I do love it), I have never received the level of service that Ms. Middlehusrt is referring to (specifically, the 'mini turn-down', but it also seems that the water at the evening turn down may have been chosen specifically for her). My very strong hunch is that she received this level of service because of who she is and because the hotel knew who she was and was trying to impress her (after all, she does not travel anonymously).
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC View Post

+1 to these two points. This puts a damper on the reviews, in my opinion, as would any travel guide in which reviewers get kickbacks, but the reader understands that, so the guide still seems to have value for what it is. (I had what must be called the normal experience at the Four Seasons Hong Kong, and found it nothing exemplary given the price.) Though I don't really care for the "experience-dropping," as if the writer is bragging about how special the service is because of her status, nor do I care for posters here implying that anyone who doesn't worship "Lyn" (whom I unfortunately do not know on a first-name basis) is somehow not a sophisticated traveler.

I will buy a copy.

Search this Thread