FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Trip Report: Raffles Dubai, Park Hyatt Dubai, Banyan Tree Al Wadi, Amanzoe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1477989-trip-report-raffles-dubai-park-hyatt-dubai-banyan-tree-al-wadi-amanzoe.html)

janehoya Jun 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks very much for posting a detailed report of Amanzoe. As a Greek expat living in the US, and having become accustomed to US service levels I have been eagerly awaiting a review of Amanzoe.

I am glad--and relieved--to hear that you were satisfied with the service. Sadly, I'm not surprised about your issues with the plumbing.;)

I think the property looks spectacular and hope that it will be a great success.

Pausanias Jun 22, 2013 11:13 pm

Outstanding photos, far better than the Aman website. The Aegean looks quite rough that day.

xracer Jun 23, 2013 6:09 am

Originally Posted by uggboy (Post 20972758)
Regarding the pool at Amanzoe, are there any steps to get into the pool, we couldn't identify this from your image,
was it easy to get in / out?

There were steps at either side of the each pool. Getting in and out was easy. The beach club pools were not that deep (4 feet).

At the main pool, there were also steps to get in. This pool was quite a bit deeper at points (7 feet).

xracer Jun 23, 2013 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias (Post 20973222)
Outstanding photos, far better than the Aman website. The Aegean looks quite rough that day.

Indeed, while we were there we had a couple of days of 'unseasonable winds', which made the sea very rough. The winds also dumped a ton of sand into the pools at the beach club. They both actually had to be drained, cleaned and refilled.

Because of this, we actually used the beach club less than we normally would.

Kagehitokiri Jun 23, 2013 7:05 am

more amazing pics !

previously >

Originally Posted by xracer (Post 20961206)
Do be aware that if you are going to book a villa in the ‘valley’ view wing, villas with lower numbers can be overlooked by someone in the gym/yoga/children’s pool area. I would not accept a villa with a number lower than about 8 if you want a guarantee of privacy in the pool.

example of great details
shown here, view of public areas from private pool >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JvsbTwG9Xo#t=24s
Pierre&Cedric previously uploaded/posted resort map >
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8696943...57631480871916

Originally Posted by xracer (Post 20963768)
At Amanzoe, we had the resort drop us off at the water taxi to Hydra so we could enjoy the afternoon there. Then of course, they picked us up again after we had taken the water taxi back from the island. This was handled perfectly - they provided us with a mobile phone and arranged everything so that both the taxi and car would be waiting for us when we were ready.

not sure how common giving mobile phone is, but it should probably be more common

and the new pics >

Originally Posted by xracer (Post 20972150)
Shower at Banyan Tree. Not quite as spectacular, but it worked a heck of a lot better.

looks pretty good (also private pool looked great)

Originally Posted by xracer (Post 20972150)
Couple of shots of Hydra. Second one is of a 'traffic jam'.

love the traffic jam

vuittonsofstyle Jun 25, 2013 5:03 am

Strange about xracer's experience of the showers at Amanzo'e as ours worked perfectly - good pressure and hot! Did you not complain? It was probably something easily fixed. I agree about the steps in the bathroom - dangerous at night - but I rather liked having two little bathrooms and two toilets.

Very odd about the veggie meals. We have specific food requests and they accommodated these exceptionally well.

xracer Jun 25, 2013 9:12 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 20984735)
Strange about xracer's experience of the showers at Amanzo'e as ours worked perfectly - good pressure and hot! Did you not complain? It was probably something easily fixed. I agree about the steps in the bathroom - dangerous at night - but I rather liked having two little bathrooms and two toilets.

Very odd about the veggie meals. We have specific food requests and they accommodated these exceptionally well.

We complained. They tried to fix it. They managed to get the water sightly hotter, but were not able to increase the pressure. They offered to move us to another villa, but it was one where the private pool was easily overlooked via the resort common areas (but it did have better water pressure). I don't think the pressure/temperature issue exists in all villas, but at this level, it really shouldn't exist in any.

I'm glad your food requests were met. But, as you probably know some requests (no beef, no dairy) are much more easily accommodated than others (veggie only). I'm sure the resort will get there with these more difficult requests, it'll just take some time (and experience).

vuittonsofstyle Jun 25, 2013 9:51 am

Originally Posted by xracer (Post 20986112)
We complained. They tried to fix it. They managed to get the water sightly hotter, but were not able to increase the pressure. They offered to move us to another villa, but it was one where the private pool was easily overlooked via the resort common areas (but it did have better water pressure). I don't think the pressure/temperature issue exists in all villas, but at this level, it really shouldn't exist in any.

I'm glad your food requests were met. But, as you probably know some requests (no beef, no dairy) are much more easily accommodated than others (veggie only). I'm sure the resort will get there with these more difficult requests, it'll just take some time (and experience).

No, I agree that the shower should work, whichever villa it is. I can see why you didn't want to move as that is a particularly pleasant location.

Funnily enough, I find that my vegan daughter has a much easier time than me as hotels (mostly) understand about vegetables, so I was really surprised that Amanzo'e had a problem with veggie. New chef maybe - I did hear that they were hiring. I am sure they will sort it all out, but sad to hear that things went wrong for you.

livefromtuscany Jun 26, 2013 7:41 am

xracer, thank you for the very interesting review and your insights.

As you have now experienced both Amanruya and Amanzo'e, which one would you rather go back to?

bearbrick Jun 26, 2013 8:41 am

Xracer , would appreciate if you could elaborate on the 2 bathroom / wc business ?
And the slippery floor and steps, is that really a big issue , no grab bars ?
I hate to wake up in the middle of the night and have to negotiate steps to the loo !!
Are all the villas like that ? How far is the bedroom from the bath ?
Gracias

Kagehitokiri Jun 26, 2013 8:58 am

seems right around corner with no stairs, also based on what xracer said originally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujGyMXNvKtg#t=2m30s (might want sound off)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JvsbTwG9Xo (linked this in my last post)

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 20998449)
All but one - Standard Pavilion #7, which was designed for disabled access, but works extremely well as it has a flat bathroom with no steps down and up by the tub and shower. I wish they had designed them all like this!

very interesting

xracer Jun 26, 2013 9:02 am

Originally Posted by vienna-resident (Post 20992467)
xracer, thank you for the very interesting review and your insights.

As you have now experienced both Amanruya and Amanzo'e, which one would you rather go back to?

I loved both, but I would have to give the lead to Amanzoe.

Originally Posted by bearbrick (Post 20992814)
Xracer , would appreciate if you could elaborate on the 2 bathroom / wc business ?
And the slippery floor and steps, is that really a big issue , no grab bars ?
I hate to wake up in the middle of the night and have to negotiate steps to the loo !!
Are all the villas like that ? How far is the bedroom from the bath ?
Gracias

You don't have to go down and then back up the stairs to get to the bathroom. Only one of the bathrooms is 'beyond the steps'. The other is not and is right around the corner from the bedroom area.

So, on one side is a bathroom/wc, in the middle is the shower and tub (with steps down to get to them). Then you have to go back up two steps to get to the other wc, which is on the opposite side of the first one.

The slippery floor and steps were certainly a big issue for me, when I fell and had nothing to grab on to. There is a grab bar, but it's not really that well placed.

I believe all of the villas have exactly the same interior layout.

vuittonsofstyle Jun 27, 2013 7:00 am

Originally Posted by xracer (Post 20992938)
I loved both, but I would have to give the lead to Amanzoe.

You don't have to go down and then back up the stairs to get to the bathroom. Only one of the bathrooms is 'beyond the steps'. The other is not and is right around the corner from the bedroom area.

So, on one side is a bathroom/wc, in the middle is the shower and tub (with steps down to get to them). Then you have to go back up two steps to get to the other wc, which is on the opposite side of the first one.

The slippery floor and steps were certainly a big issue for me, when I fell and had nothing to grab on to. There is a grab bar, but it's not really that well placed.

I believe all of the villas have exactly the same interior layout.

All but one - Standard Pavilion #7, which was designed for disabled access, but works extremely well as it has a flat bathroom with no steps down and up by the tub and shower. I wish they had designed them all like this!