Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the luxury hotels of Beverly Hills

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Need advice for a 2-night anniversary stay - somewhere we can relax and unwind. Debating between the beach and BH/WH area. From these reviews and related threads it appears the Peninsula and L'Hermitage are possibilities. My memories of the Pen are a bit hazy (last stayed a couple of decades ago ) - the latter has some JPM Palladium benefits (similar to Virtuoso).

Originally Posted by daniellam
U
Here are some videos I have taken of my Deluxe Room and California Suite during my last stay at The Peninsula Beverly Hills.

Deluxe Room: http://youtu.be/Z6cav-0y8sw

California Suite: http://youtu.be/cp5VdJ6fRtQ
Really helpful thanks. I must say the std rooms look a bit compact, but maybe it was just the camera angle.

Originally Posted by DavidO
[I]I have wanted to do site inspections in Beverly Hills for quite awhile and finally took the opportunity this week before I attended the west coast rollout of Dorchester Collection’s Diamond Club amenity program. In addition to the two Dorchester Collection hotels in LA (Hotel Bel-Air and the Beverly Hills Hotel), I was able to visit five other luxury hotels in Beverly Hills — the two Four Seasons (FS Los Angeles and the Beverly Wilshire), Montage Beverly Hills, L’Ermitage, and the Peninsula Beverly Hills. Each is unique and will appeal to a different clientele.
Really helpful, thanks! ^
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:36 am

Some recent observations:

Hotel Bel Air

This is, hands down, my favorite hotel on the West Coast. It is so peaceful and original, yet very modern. They were able to retain everything that has made this hotel special but brought it into 21st century. Service is very personal and caring. The team is passionate, not only about the hotel, but also about Los Angeles and this translates directly into every interaction. As many of you may recall, Dorchester has had many troubles due to the dispute originating from the drama around its owner, the Sultan of Brunei. While I understand and support the cause, I must say the staff shouldn't be held responsible for it, as they are very diverse and work hard. If anything, they perfected their product in that difficult time and I really love the hotel. It is so leisurely. I would be happy with any room here, but had a lovely suite - many have patios, which allow to make the most of the glorious weather. Everything in-room is high-tech, starting with the telephones and iPads, controlling everything from A/C, to lights and services. In-room dining can be ordered, if you wish, from the iPad as well, so breakfast is only a tap away. If you can drag yourself away from the suite, there's Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel Air and I cannot remember a bad meal here. I especially grew fond of the garden alcoves - what better way to spend a Sunday there reading newspaper on the huge tables, while enjoying Wolfgang's cuisine. He's very hands-on with the restaurant (and all other WP-managed outlets at the hotel), which is practical since he's just living down the street. He often drops by, picks up food for the kids and checks if everything's going well. The pool at Hotel Bel Air is iconic, I wish they'd do away with the chlorine and use a healthier substitute. Same goes for the spa, where I was unable to have a facial, as they only offer chemical waste in shiny jars (La Prairie). All other treatments however were top notch, and I was fortunate enough to be treated to an appointment with Nerida Joy - a celebrity skin guru, who actually understands skin-care and spa - truly excellent and a kind soul. The gym is small, but well equipped: better than most hotels. If you fancy a haircut, a new color or other 'do', Joseph Martin has a salon there, so no need to go anywhere and you won't have to take a car to go on Canon Dr. Should you wish to do so, the lovely Concierge team is at your disposal, and here - in resort style - you are able to sit down with them and customize your stay. They managed to get tough reservations and knew all the details. There's a comfortable Mercedes-Benz house car available until 9 pm to take you out to dinner, where - after a great meal - a dessert was waiting, courtesy of Hotel Bel Air. Many great things about this hotel, but nothing beat walking 'home' every evening, strolling through the gardens. I credit Denise Flanders for this, she really brought many wonderful things and a lot of culture to the hotel. After her departure, Emanuela Setterberg took over. Good job!

Beverly Wilshire, Beverly Hills, A Four Seasons Hotel

I had a great stay here a while ago and hoped to find the same standards, but unfortunately there are way too many issues for my liking. Should you choose this Grande Dame, make sure to secure a suite in the Beverly Wing, many of which are renovated by now. The Wilshire Wing appeared very dull to me, even more than last time, and I asked to be moved the next day. Many suites in the Beverly Wing are more contemporary and higher floors afford beautiful views of downtown Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive and, in distance, the Hollywood Hills. Anything below the 11th floor will only get you a view of the porte-cochère though. But even renovated rooms are not up to Four Seasons' usual standards, they do have the newest-generation, square FS pillows with logo embroidery on them, but the bed was old and certainly not the highly acclaimed FS bed. In fact, it was so old that you fell out when you slept near the sides. Expect a vanity with only one sink, even in suites - plus very old soft furnishings, worn carpets. It is due for a re-fresh and needs more investment. The hotel is owned by the same entity that owns Rosewood Hotels and Resorts, and I would really hope they would close the hotel for 2 years completely and take out everything. But the hard product is not the only problem at this iconic hotel, I felt the culture was lacking and staff did not care much, except for a few. Having substandard infrastructure and rooms is one thing, what saved it in the past was the service. No more. I might be biased, surely, as the arrival at this hotel struck a chord - I wonder how most guests would like a hotel that sends you go search for your suite alone (in a 400 keys monstrosity) after a 14 hour flight... only to find a welcome letter, personally signed by your travel agent, who is thousands of miles away. Also it is a sad state of affairs that no one seems to be willing to take responsibility, but rather tries to blame others. Not a day would go by without finding a dirty cup or cutlery at The BLVD, where at breakfast some team members tried their best, while others were downright rude. The proximity to Rodeo Drive and some condescending trophy wives might not help, but surely a 200 $ breakfast should me a more civilized affair. Don't expect the generosity of Hotel Bel Air at this hotel, the daily breakfast credit of 35 $ (all-in) will get you a juice and a coffee here, or one egg. Enjoy! Yet even if you don't care about charges, they failed to provide a rewarding breakfast experience. For lunch, the selection was better, menu varied - they even tried to recreate my sage lemonade from Amangiri, that I have come to like. That way, also, you are saved from In-Room Dining where a steak supposedly cooked medium arrives well done (black). And no one cares. Also, the Concierge Desk is well-run, and was able to take care of requests, no matter how complicated or small. From restaurant reservations, finding a solid juicery, private shopping on Rodeo, personal training at Equinox, to getting in touch with the city's top realtors to find a home, they have good contacts. The spa and pool area, well there is one - enough said. There is a wonderful mediterranean-styled pool (read: chlorinated water hole), as well as a jacuzzi (think oversized loo integrated into the floor). Both are wonderfully designed (so you fall into the jacuzzi when you step out of cardio area), replete with endless arrays of sun loungers and a tiger that seems to protect his newborn (the for rent-only cabanas) -- if that makes sense after 6 pm, who knows. The spa really was an afterthought, and ended up in the basement, at no point did I think about booking a treatment, as everything around the spa was so depressing -- entirely dark, ceiling heights that make you wonder if this used to be the hotel’s goblin garden and many people crossing back and forth between the wings of the hotel. You do have to go through the spa though to secure personal training, which they organize. My personal theory after this adventure though is that they ask Rosie from housekeeping to put on some Nikes and charge 250$/hour for it. Don’t go. They do have some few great team members, who really tried to save the stay: namely ex-George V superstar Victoria, who is not only lovely to talk to, but also very competent and caring. She has the Four Seasons touch, in a hotel where few do. And that’s the problem about Beverly Wilshire: when problems arise, service recovery is not in place. Old rooms and lackluster service together just don’t bode well. And, by design, they alert every guest about their problems: Why is the Wolfgang Puck-managed CUT, in the same building, lightyears ahead of anything Beverly Wilshire? Why is anyone there, from food runner to restaurant manager invariably more caring and alert than the best at BW? Culture.

Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles At Beverly Hills

Many worried about service at this hotel for a while, I visited a few times and found it greatly improved. Furthermore, F&B was downright great — Culina, their 'Modern Italian' restaurant was so good, I actually preferred it over my beloved Mediterranean fare at Cecconi’s. Mind you now with Jeff Leatham there, flowers are more beautiful than ever and meeting him you soon realize how contagious his passion is, for this new venture (he owns the flower shop) and his artistic craft in general. The pool area, in addition to the grounds, is much better than Beverly Wilshire. So, is FS LA the better option after all?

Last edited by scented; Jul 13, 2016 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great details! good to hear, unfortunate re FS wilshire
LA properties have definitely had their ups/downs here

Originally Posted by scented
Dorchester has had many troubles due to the dispute originating from the drama around its owner, the Sultan of Brunei. While I understand and support the cause, I must say the staff shouldn't be held responsible for it, as they are very diverse and work hard.
interesting no boycotts/etc of hotels owned by qatar / UAE / etc

Originally Posted by scented
The hotel is owned by the same entity that owns Rosewood Hotels and Resorts
seems complex >
articles.latimes.com/1996-02-17/news/mn-36925_1_hong-kong-group
The consortium's eight members--Lai Sun Group, Glorious Sun Group, the Hong Kong Parkview Group Ltd., Yin Cheong Group, Far East Consortium Group, Shui On Group, Sunnet Investment Group and Kailey Enterprises Group

The Beverly Wilshire is just the latest acquisition by the Hong Kong group through its Vancouver, Canada-based subsidiary, Polylinks International Ltd. They include its 1994 investment in Trump's controversial $2-billion Riverside South project in Manhattan.
Riverside involved at least 2 of those (+ cheng/rosewood) >
nytimes.com/1994/07/01/nyregion/hong-kong-investors-finance-a-trump-project.html
consortium that includes the New World Development Company Ltd., headed by Y. T. Cheng and his son, Henry, and the Shui On Group Ltd., headed by Vincent Lo.

Daniel K. S. Yiu, president of Polylinks International Ltd. of Hong Kong, which advises private and public companies, including New World.

Because of the size of Riverside South, Polylinks sought other investors as well, including Shui On, a diversified company involved in hotels, construction and development; the Edward Wong Group, and the Far Eastern Consortium Ltd., whose holdings include the Warwick Hotel, at Avenue of the Americas and 54th Street.
re another LA acquisition >
businesswire.com/news/home/20101005007041/en/CORRECTING-REPLACING-High-Profile-Beverly-Hills-Site
Joint Treasure was acting on behalf of three of its consortium partners: Chow Tai Fook Group of Hong Kong, the holding company for publicly held New World Group, a well known company with investments ranging from transportation to hotels and department stores; Wee Cho Yaw Family Group of Singapore that invests in banks, commercial properties and hotels; and David Chiu of Far East Consortium International Limited, a commercial property and hotel developer listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 4, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:54 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

+1 on Hotel Bel Air. Stayed a few weeks ago and was very impressed. Of course the $1K value in my room upgrade helped

Only real complaint for me was the noise from construction in the surrounding hills but not much they can do about that...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
+1 on Hotel Bel Air. Stayed a few weeks ago and was very impressed. Of course the $1K value in my room upgrade helped

Only real complaint for me was the noise from construction in the surrounding hills but not much they can do about that...
There's a lot of construction around the hotel (a huge mansion on Carcassonne Rd, plus several other construction projects on Stone Canyon + Chalon), but I never had a noise issue. I think it depends a bit which room you are in, the canyons tend to reflect the noise.

But the hotel is more than accommodating and I'm sure they would be able to move you. Glad you got the upgrade.

Last edited by scented; Jul 14, 2016 at 4:56 am
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:21 am

Excellent summation, Scented - I agree with everything you say about FS Beverly Wilshire. The big suites in the Beverly Wing are delightful, but the Wilshire Wing, which used to be THE place to stay, is awful these days.

Dorchester Group's two best hotels are in LA - they walk all over their hotels in Europe. Love Bel-Air.

Does Jeff actually own the flower shop in FS LA? I wonder, because I first met him at that hotel back in the early 1990s. The hotel owners have a chain of flower shops and have always been very keen on having great flowers and manicured grounds. I wonder if Jeff just put his name to the shop?

I bet he has a much bigger flower budget now than he did back in the 1990s!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Does Jeff actually own the flower shop in FS LA? I wonder, because I first met him at that hotel back in the early 1990s. The hotel owners have a chain of flower shops and have always been very keen on having great flowers and manicured grounds. I wonder if Jeff just put his name to the shop?

I bet he has a much bigger flower budget now than he did back in the 1990s!
I believe so, yes. FS LA always had nice flowers, now with him back there the difference is remarkable I must say.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Slightly off topic: Is the boycott of the Dorchester Group over? Can I consider Hotel Bel Air, Beverly Hills hotel, et. al. without crossing the LGBTQIAP crowd?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Slightly off topic: Is the boycott of the Dorchester Group over? Can I consider Hotel Bel Air, Beverly Hills hotel, et. al. without crossing the LGBTQIAP crowd?
I think the boycott died down a bit. You're good to go.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The BW review points out the difficult issues when an aging grande dame is not properly restored. In the 1970s, all funds were devoted to the construction of the Beverly wing, with little left over to rehabilitate the old building. Subsequent owners have just applied band-aids, and the neglect is catching up with them.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 15, 2016 at 4:00 am
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The BW review points out the difficult issues when an aging grande dame is not properly restored. In the 1970s, all funds were devoted to the construction of the Beverly wing, with little left over to rehabilite the old building. Subsequent owners have just applied band-aids, and the neglect is catching up with them.
You are so right. But actually, the hardware I wouldn't mind so much, but some of the staff members were either rude or overly full of themselves. And that is so not Four Seasons to me. They do hire for character over experience and at FS I met some of the kindest, most humble persons out there, who bring so much joy and passion to the hotels. But then again, after a night in the Wilshire Wing I felt I had figured out where Stephen King got the inspiration for The Shining.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The BW review points out the difficult issues when an aging grande dame is not properly restored. In the 1970s, all funds were devoted to the construction of the Beverly wing, with little left over to rehabilitate the old building. Subsequent owners have just applied band-aids, and the neglect is catching up with them.
If you go back to the ime when the BW was The Regent Beverly Wilshire, the Wilshire Wing was THE place to stay. It had all the hallmarks of Georg Rafael and Co - great room/suite amenities, such as 3-tiered glass boxes containing fresh strawberries in one, cream in another and sugar in the third. Very nice decor, too, with a touch of Asia.

The 1980s and early 1990s were when this hotel really shone. It started going downhill when they closed the corner Café (where Ronald Reagan used to go for lunch) and sold the site to a retail group. It has never been quite the same since then.

Radha Arora, when he was GM, was the one who started renovating the Beverly Wing. The big suites there are superb. Ben Trodd took over from Radha when he became President of Rosewood, but nothing appears to have progessed since then, which I suspect demotivates staff. It usually does.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Member

Loved Hotel Bel Air BEFORE the renovation, it was our go-to abode in LA. But no interest now, the new look does not appeal. I do understand I'm no longer in the targeted demographic.

Yet the "loss" of the Bel Air was cushioned by the discovery of the Pen and the Beverly Hills Hotel both of which are luxuriously comfortable and provide superb service. At the Pen we go for a hot-tub villa suite and at the BHH we opt for one of the cottage suites.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by KatW
Loved Hotel Bel Air BEFORE the renovation, it was our go-to abode in LA. But no interest now, the new look does not appeal. I do understand I'm no longer in the targeted demographic.

Yet the "loss" of the Bel Air was cushioned by the discovery of the Pen and the Beverly Hills Hotel both of which are luxuriously comfortable and provide superb service. At the Pen we go for a hot-tub villa suite and at the BHH we opt for one of the cottage suites.
This has been a hot topic here. I much, much preferred the 'old' Hotel Bel Air. They killed that property in the remodel by completely changing the personality. That being said, this part of the world has one of the highest concentrations of world class hotels in the world, rivaling HK. Here is my LA list in order of preference:

Pen, Hotel Bel Air, FS BH, Beverly Hills Hotel, FS BW, Montage.

I don't like FS BW and the Montage, but that fact that those properties are ranked 4th and fifth to me shows how strong the competition is in Los Angeles. I'd happily settle for the 5th place Montage in say, Seattle or SF.

Of topic: The FS SF is well on the way to challenging FS Sydney at the bottom of the FS chain ....
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:15 pm

It's quite funny that so many of you like the Beverly Hills Hotel. It's the one and only hotel that we decided to escape from right after check-in. We were shown our room, the guy closed the door, I gave a quick look at Pierre and just said: 'you agree with me, we cannot stay here'. We changed for the Bel Air and had a wonderful time there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.