Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Bulgari is at least bookable via the Marriott site. Over the RC website you can book The Edition. So if Edition is bookable why shouldn’t be Bulgari. Can’t imagine trademark issues are the reason.
See previous pos. Bulgari is mananged by Marriott as a joint venture with its Luxury Group. But it certainly is not to be confused as a Ritz Carlton or even as a true "partner" hotel, and so the Bulgari distribution on the Marriott.com and not Ritz Carlton channel is part of that equation.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
By the way I was wrong:

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels

Both Bulgari and Ritz are listed as partner-hotels on the RC-site.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bvlgari london is a franchise, while other bvlgari are managed, marriott shares equity in brand

bvlgari was managed by ritz calrton, which was why marriott lost lawsuit by ex RC bali owner

"ritz carlton" may not be allowed in london right now; if RC manages bvlgari outside london

bvlgari london has some fans here. may be because franchise and not RC/marriott managed. some of the best regarded starwood luxury collection properties are franchises.

there must be a reason they allowed london to be a franchise, and have not allowed any other franchises. this level of brand doesnt really franchise. there are only 2 RC that arent managed, and theyre oldest 2. (one also ex-FS, coup for RC.) although, waldorf has 1. and PH has outsourcing, which may become equivalent.

marriott allows non-participation >
RC reserve
bvlgari
RC residence/club (waikiki & vail hotels)
RC singapore (which is largest RC hotel)

only renovated now, but not all categories >
mandarinoriental.com/london/hyde-park/luxury-hotel/accommodations

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 30, 2017 at 5:42 pm
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Bulgari is managed by the Marriott Luxury Group (which includes Ritz Carlton):

https://hotel-development.marriott.com/brands/bulgari/
I believe the London property is an exception. It is a franchise, and not directly managed by Marriott group.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

Mandarin Oriental, Hyde Park

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
We are still going to stay, as nosey is my middle name, but my partner has several friends who work at the MO London and we have been strongly advised not to attend until the Hyde Park rooms are completed as they will be more impressive. That doth not maketh the best pre-arrival welcome.
I'm 30 now. I should have learnt by now to listen not only to others but myself. Maybe next year is my lucky year of self-improvement. For those after the quick summary, I would definitely wait until the refurb is finished. For those after the slightly longer version, just read the last sentence again.

For Ł720/n, you can enjoy these beautiful views from your room.

Alternatively, once you complain and say you don't like it and they move you to a Knightsbridge view room, you can enjoy the blissful sounds of emergency services rushing past, followed by the occasional sound of a mans low self-esteem driving at the maximum Knightsbridge traffic-induced speed of 10mph, but sounding like they are about to take off towards the moon.

The Lanesborough is at a busier junction yet maintains absolute silence. In fact, neither The Bulgaria or The Berkeley in the same neighbourhood have any issues with noise. Even Cafe Royal, a hotel on a street that has not only competed, but won awards for Worlds World Street, has no issues with noise.

I actually liked the room. It had a pleasant design and everything I expect in a newly built room: lots of light colours and technology that almost never worked. How hard is it to setup AirPlay in a hotel? I cannot remember it ever working anywhere. The same goes with lights - there's always something wrong. In this case, the wardrobe that had a light with a nervous twitch. Better was the motion sensors in the bathroom and it seems Toto is no longer the default choice for electronic toilets, as there's a new kid on the block in Duravit. Blackouts were excellent, but I will repeat again: not a room if you're a light sleeper. I had to do a double take to spot that a brand new room would not have a walk-in shower. So long it's been since I experienced it, that I thought they became extinct along with the dinosaurs. The shower head was at least high enough that I did not have to crouch whilst using it, so my bad back lives to fight another day.

We had a never ending supply of knocks on our door, like a punch line was due any minute.

"I have just left some fruit with you, I just wanted to be sure you've received it?"

2 minutes later

"I just wanted to see how the fruit was"

2 minutes later

"Would you like any other fruit?"

If we were staying any longer I'm sure they would have started stool sampling to confirm what our fruit preferences were and adjust accordingly. I get the impression our dissatisfaction with the room probably made them keen to please. I don't want to fault them for trying, but I will one day show up at their house and knock repeatedly and see how they like it.

Breakfast was good. For dinner, I could not bring myself to go to another Heston restaurant. The memories are still raw of paying so much for such little quality at The Fat Duck. The only thing that ever left there fat was Heston's wallet. I was at Dinner around opening back in, I think, 2011, and I still do not forgive hhim for charging those prices for such basic food that had some hideous condiment to go with it. Maybe it's better now. I don't care to find out, so we walked to Cut at 45 Park Lane instead for an amazing meal.

The spa is closed and is being entirely rebuilt. Right now they just have their swimming pool that really does a lousy job compared to Ten Trinity, The Lanesborough or The Bulgari in terms of atmosphere and facilities. It is right near the gym, but to actually figure out how to get there is a big enough work out, especially as no one was at reception. Strangely they have a sauna in the mens changing room and a steam room in the ladies, so if you're female and like saunas, your only option is to walk to Harley Street and come back a man.

The stay really was just fine. The problem I have is that it's just so very mediocre. Everything is ok, with nothing being exceptional. The competition is too fierce in London to suffer mediocre; especially at these prices.

I would return, but only once it is fully finished, and definitely avoid any entry level room.

Definitely better

FlyerEC, bhrubin and Dorsia like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I do like the looks of the room.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:28 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
"Would you like any other fruit?"
Sorry for the political incorrectness to those who enjoy that, but I do believe they were referring to us. Except they didnt know we still far prefer the nearby Halkin. And for good reason!

For dinner, I could not bring myself to go to another Heston restaurant.
No argument. My previous rebuke of Dinner and Heston Blumenthal was removed from this thread, but I will never visit another of his restaurants. Old English pub food doesn't belong in a luxury hotel. Ever. Especially when his team can't even properly prepare it for the pub masses.

The stay really was just fine. The problem I have is that it's just so very mediocre. Everything is ok, with nothing being exceptional. The competition is too fierce in London to suffer mediocre; especially at these prices.

I would return, but only once it is fully finished, and definitely avoid any entry level room.
You would return for such a mediocre product with so many better options available? You're expecting better service and less fruit once the renovations are complete? You confuse me, young sir.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
MO

Hope it’s not the 720 GBP bathroom - terrible. Was only once last yesr at Dinner by Heston and after what I saw in the public spaces they must do a lot of renovations before it’s a real alternative to the very good other options.

Last edited by offerendum; Oct 30, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Hope it’s not too he 720 GBP bathroom - terrible. Was only once last yesr at Dinner by Heston and after what I saw in the public spaces they must do a lot of renovations before it’s a real alternative to the very good other options.
The room we ended up (which is what all but the first 2 pictures are from) in was selling for Ł980 last night.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
You would return for such a mediocre product with so many better options available? You're expecting better service and less fruit once the renovations are complete? You confuse me, young sir.
It was actually the lack of fruit that was the initial issue. We came to the room to see 2 plates with knives and forks and then nothing next to them. So we asked if it was a mistake, and then the banquet of fruit and explanation of what fruit is begun. On departure we had 6 plates in our room. Mandarin Oriental takes complaints about fruit, very, very seriously.

I spend ~50 nights a year in London, so it's just one extra night of my year ruined and one extra post on here to whinge about it. Would I suggest that those traveling to London try it? Nope. Would I recommend it at all? Nope. Yet I do feel the work they've done to date on the refurb is really good. From what they were saying, it sounds like it could all come together nicely and offer some good competition. There is a lot of promise here and MO not only being the management company but also the owners of the property should see to it that they invest wisely too. Their mistake was in not shutting the entire hotel during the refurb and I would strongly advise anyone to stay away until it is completed, which is apparently Summer next year.
FlyerEC, bhrubin and Dorsia like this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:16 am

Personally I couldn't care less about fruit in the room - we never touch it when it's provided because most fruit comes from other people's rooms who haven't eaten it.

I have absolutely LOVED reading about Macmyday's stay at the MO. Hilarious! These London hotels are having a serious laugh at people's expense. Loved that bathroom! So quaint, so good ole London Town!
Dorsia likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Oct 31, 2017 at 4:32 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:21 am

Are you sure the bathroom was not the powder room in disguise? Awful.

With all your nights in London (they should haven taken notice), I wonder why they did not upgrade you?

But then, maybe, it is because MO generally just doesn't like to upgrade, ever.
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
@MacMyDay - I really enjoy reading your stay report on the renovated MO, that is ... until you brought up stool sampling.

Have to say I like the decor but that bathroom looks positively claustrophobic! And yes, the "views" are unacceptable. It seems they still haven't double-glaze the windows hence the sound problem you described.

In your next stay, if you can, please try to check out the Turret Suite and report back.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Personally I couldn't care less about fruit in the room - we never touch it when it's provided because most fruit comes from other people's rooms who haven't eaten it.
Agreed.

Regards
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ritz carlton may not be an option yet in london due to trademark, which may be why bvlgari london is the only bvlgari that is a marriott franchise rather than managed (by ritz carlton) like others. there was an old article mentioning this vaguely without details.

cpp-luxury.com/en/why-so-many-of-the-announced-luxury-hotels-are-delayed_1185.html
ritz london/paris(/madrid?) exclusive trademarks expire 2018?
presume after MO madrid renovations complete theyll drop "ritz"
From a 2011 article:
http://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/r...s-herve-humler

"As for Europe, Ritz-Carlton has development offices in Zurich and London. It doesn’t have the license to open a hotel in Spain, Portugal, London or Paris, but it’s had the Hotel Arts in Barcelona for years. It also operates Penha Longa Hotel and Golf Resort in Portugal. In Paris and London, it uses the iconic Ritz hotels as partner properties.

“I wanted to make sure we have that relationship with them and one day, if they change their heart, at least we’re not far, we’re here to manage the hotel,” says Humler, “or, as much as we can, we can steer our customers to use them. That’s why we have them in our marketing agreement, that’s why we have them in the Ritz-Carlton website for reservation, and so on.”

I wonder if, and when, RC will be allowed to operate in their markets with their own flag and management.
uggboy likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:51 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Shangri-La
"As for Europe, Ritz-Carlton has development offices in Zurich and London. It doesn’t have the license to open a hotel in Spain, Portugal, London or Paris...”

I wonder if, and when, RC will be allowed to operate in their markets with their own flag and management.
Now that Marriott owns both Ritz Carlton AND St Regis, it has the opportunity to use the St Regis brand in those few cities where it is precluded from having a Ritz Carlton property. The question will be for which properties that are newly built (tougher) or current buildings that are reflagged (easier). There are no limitations on the St Regis brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.