Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

The Chedi vs 137 Pillars in Chiang Mai?

Old May 23, 13, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

Will be travelling to Chiang Mai for 3 nights this August and am split between these 2 properties. Both are similar prices... Has anyone been to these properties and if so, which one would you recommend?
Cheers
Old May 23, 13, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pillars mgmt was same as hotel de la paix, and they work with trisara (but they also have nonluxury properties)

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
I met these people Kage in LPQ where they have converted the hotel to a Hotel de La Paix. Very nice and professional group with a lot of industry knowledge and enthusiasm.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
Interesting, Kage. I did not realise they were involved in the Pillars House project in Chiang Mai.
Old May 23, 13, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We stayed at the chedi in march and we were very happy. The service was excellent. The only complaint is that it got a little buggy due to the riverside location and the vestibule leading to the rooms since the doors open from the outside - no interior hallway for room access. They did spray while we were there.
Old May 24, 13, 2:01 am

Chedi CM would be high end 5 stars " more designed " as it were though not luxury , Pillars is at best, high 4 stars .... With Pretensions to be luxury.

Last edited by bearbrick; May 24, 13 at 2:07 am
Old Aug 1, 13, 4:59 pm

Just returned from Chiang Mai and stayed for three nights at the Chedi. Honestly we could not be happier with our choice! The resort is not really big but perfectly located, right on the Ping River and in designed in a beautiful, modern style with some Thai elements weaved in. We stayed in a Suite, which allowed us access to the second floor club, which offered free drinks and appetizers each night during happy hour and was very well-attended.

The pool is gorgeous and has plenty of seating, with very attentive service. Restaurant and bar are both excellent (the building was the former British embassy and has some beautiful woodwork throughout). We had breakfast there every morning, which had a great menu to order from as well as a diverse buffet, including fresh-squeezed juices, fruits, fresh pastries, breads, etc.

Service throughout was excellent, especially the front desk/concierge, who provided a number of great recommendations, from a good tailor for shirts to be made to some fun restaurants/bars to check out at night.

Of our four hotels we stayed at, this was my personal favorite. The only thing I wish were different would be the toilet/bathroom, as it shared a glass wall with the shower and there was no way to hide yourself. Just a little odd if you ask me!

Also, location is great, as you are right near the downtown, can walk to the night market, and are only 30-60 minutes to almost any of the outdoor activities (ziplining, elephants, Doi Suthep, etc.).
Old Aug 2, 13, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick View Post
Chedi CM would be high end 5 stars " more designed " as it were though not luxury , Pillars is at best, high 4 stars .... With Pretensions to be luxury.
^
Old Aug 6, 13, 3:03 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Sorry to hijack this thread.

We are going til Chiang Mai in October for two nights, and I am trying to choose between av suite at the Chedi and a suite at the Shangri-La which are similar in price. I am leaning (heavily) against the Chedi, but which hotel should I choose?

Cheers
SASDC8
Old Aug 6, 13, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by SASDC8 View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread.

We are going til Chiang Mai in October for two nights, and I am trying to choose between av suite at the Chedi and a suite at the Shangri-La which are similar in price. I am leaning (heavily) against the Chedi, but which hotel should I choose?

Cheers
SASDC8
Chedi all the way. Service is better. Shangri La is a 4 star hotel, and looks like a business hotel. Only advantage are the rates, which tend to be lower year round (though not your problem if both hotels offer same rates for your stay )
Old Aug 6, 13, 10:33 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vincentb89 View Post
Chedi all the way. Service is better. Shangri La is a 4 star hotel, and looks like a business hotel. Only advantage are the rates, which tend to be lower year round (though not your problem if both hotels offer same rates for your stay )
Thanks for making it really simple ^ Booking is finalized, and on my dates (and considering what is complimentary at the Chedi) I think it is actullay a bit cheeper

Cheers
Old Aug 6, 13, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SASDC8 View Post
Thanks for making it really simple ^ Booking is finalized, and on my dates (and considering what is complimentary at the Chedi) I think it is actullay a bit cheeper

Cheers
You made a good choice- while the Shangri-La is a perfectly good convention hotel and OK for business- the Chedi in the club suites is quite special and has a wonderful overall offer with the private club lounge, the great F&B, and the beautiful suites.
Old Aug 6, 13, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by harrisoned View Post
Just returned from Chiang Mai and stayed for three nights at the Chedi. Honestly we could not be happier with our choice! The resort is not really big but perfectly located, right on the Ping River and in designed in a beautiful, modern style with some Thai elements weaved in. We stayed in a Suite, which allowed us access to the second floor club, which offered free drinks and appetizers each night during happy hour and was very well-attended.

The pool is gorgeous and has plenty of seating, with very attentive service. Restaurant and bar are both excellent (the building was the former British embassy and has some beautiful woodwork throughout). We had breakfast there every morning, which had a great menu to order from as well as a diverse buffet, including fresh-squeezed juices, fruits, fresh pastries, breads, etc.

Service throughout was excellent, especially the front desk/concierge, who provided a number of great recommendations, from a good tailor for shirts to be made to some fun restaurants/bars to check out at night.

Of our four hotels we stayed at, this was my personal favorite. The only thing I wish were different would be the toilet/bathroom, as it shared a glass wall with the shower and there was no way to hide yourself. Just a little odd if you ask me!

Also, location is great, as you are right near the downtown, can walk to the night market, and are only 30-60 minutes to almost any of the outdoor activities (ziplining, elephants, Doi Suthep, etc.).
I am here now and have to say that I agree with everything above ^ Great property!
Old Sep 22, 13, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Greetings all,

Adding some praise for 137 Pillars - I stayed there for a couple nights last week with my husband on our honeymoon and LOVED it. The common areas were gorgeous, the rooms were huge and well appointed, breakfast and cocktails were great, and the staff were helpful and provided excellent service. We had dinner at the Chedi and were impressed with the design of the common areas, but the rooms as pictured on the website seem smaller and with far less character than the 137 Pillars rooms, in my opinion.

As far as location, the Chedi is a smidge closer to the central Chiang Mai area, so all things equal, I'd probably prefer the Chedi location, but 137 is very close to a handful of cute riverside restaurants, and we enjoyed being able to have a short stroll home after dinner, and didn't mind the shortly longer tuk tuk ride into town for sightseeing. So, all in all, it might seem out of the way, but it really wasn't incovenient for us.

We booked through the Visa Signature hotels site, which offered a space-available upgrade (we were upgraded from Rajah Brooke to East Borneo Suite), as well as an extra $25 F&B credit that we wouldn't have gotten by booking through the hotel's website.

Enjoy Chiang Mai--we loved it. And don't miss Patara Elephant Farm, if you're fortunate enough to be planning ahead and able to make a booking!

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions, happy to share my experience.

Best,
John
Old Sep 26, 13, 9:07 pm

Chedi hands down. We love it there. The suites are huge and service great. Each night the room attendant would set up mosquito nets for our children as cubby houses and they loved it.
Old Sep 27, 13, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carls888 View Post
Chedi hands down. We love it there. The suites are huge and service great. Each night the room attendant would set up mosquito nets for our children as cubby houses and they loved it.
A lot of people here on flyertalk tend to appreciate the free minibar and the the free fullsize bar in the suites as well
Old Sep 30, 13, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG View Post
A lot of people here on flyertalk tend to appreciate the free minibar and the the free fullsize bar in the suites as well
LOL ...Yes, they were pretty good. Although the mini bar was just OK- not a huge selection. we loved the breakfast at the restaurant every morning, looking at the river and loved the combination of a la carte and buffet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: