Smile The Westbury Hotel, Dublin, Rep. of Ireland [ Review ]

The Westbury Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Westbury Hotel

Grafton Street Dublin, IE

The Westbury Hotel (0 Photo)

The Westbury Hotel

March / April 2013

We wanted to do something special for the Easter weekend, so we decided to have a night at the Westbury. It was our third stay.

The Westbury is located just off Grafton Street, opened in 1984 and belongs to the Doyle Collection, Global Hotel Alliance (GHA) and Leading Hotels of the World (LHW).

We made our way up to the first floor, where the reception is located. It was busy, and we had to wait a few minutes before it was our turn to check in. It was friendly and fast. We were advised we were as Leader Club Members upgraded to a Studio Four Poster Suite from a Deluxe Room.

We were also asked, if we wanted a free newspaper in the morning. The options were the Irish Times or Irish Independent

Room

Our room was located on the 2nd floor nearly directly opposite the elevators. At first we were slightly disappointed, because we had asked for a room on the higher floor and overlooking Grafton Street. The hotel has 6 floors. Our suite was overlooking the back, but we had views to St. Stephen's Green Shopping Center and Tony and Guy Hairdressers opposite.

We overcame our disappointment with view, because there are only 5 of the Studio Four Poster Bed Suites available, so what we received was very rare. And what is better - a real upgrade or simply the same room on a higher floor with the desired views? I know what I would like to have.

The suite was beautiful with a short hallway and a door leading off to the bath room. In the hallway was a wardrobe, the mini bar, Nespresso machine, tea making facilities and a safe. We had been also told at reception that in the mini bar would be free bottles of water. We completely overlooked them.

The suite was large with two sitting areas. One was furnished with two chairs, a huge ottoman - all upholstered in wine red velvet - and a coffee table with magazines. The other had a small dining table and two chairs. They were Art Deco style and covered with mint green leather. On the table was a welcome letter from the interim hotel manager. The welcome gifts, Jameson's Caramels, Caramel Cups and a box of Butler's Chocolate were also located there. They were all yummy. We appreciated the gifts and the handwritten letter.

We had a credenza with more storage space and a LCD flat screen TV on top. The channel selection couldn't have been better.

The king sized four poster bed was very high and huge. There was also a very large brown throw. We both liked the pillows with the flower prints. In front of the bed was a long bench.

Beside the bed to the right was a writing desk with a Leading Hotel of the World catalogue.

I didn't use the writing desk this time around, instead I worked at the dining table to have a nice view to the TV, because the desk was facing a wall.

We also had a large suitcase rack.

The curtains were green with a flower print.

Colors used in the suite were brown, white, beige, grey, green and red.

Bathroom

The bathroom was small with a bath tub and shower combination, a sink and enough space to store our cosmetics. The bath room amenities were by Aroma Therapy Associates and very good. We both enjoy using them.

A small gripe was that the tap was too short, so each time we wanted to wash our hands we banged them on the sink. It wasn't comfortable to use, but didn't cause any major problems.

Materials used were marble and granite.

The room and bathroom were very comfortable. When we had settled down, we received a call from Guest Relations to check if everything was okay. I mentioned the "missing" water. Joseph apologized and sent another member of staff up to deliver them. We expected two bottles, instead we received six. Thank goodness it wasn't also the usual and despised Deep River Rock, but Tipperary water. It was very generous and appreciated by us.

Service

Later we had in room dining with one hot chocolate, two minute steak sandwiches with fries, French pastry selection and a Berry Fool. It looked appetizing, was flavorful and tasty. We were really stuffed, when we were finished. In room dining gave us also a call to check if the food was to our liking. Three times you can guess what our reply was. I think we paid around 75 Euro (ca. 98 USD) including a 5 Euro Tray Charge.

Turn down service had arrived earlier. We found out where the water bottles had been "hidden", because the employee showed me.

We received a little box filled with a "nest", a medium sized chocolate egg and three smaller chocolate bonbons from Butlers.

When we requested an additional body wash, we received two nearly complete bath room amenity sets instead, only the soap wasn't included. We were pleasantly surprised.

Going to sleep was a slight issue for me, because there was some street noise, including singing and music from a nearby night club or pub. It might took me slightly longer than usual, but as soon as I was asleep the noise didn't disturb me.

Light sleepers might prefer a higher floor.

The wake up call arrived on time, and the requested newspaper was waiting for us.

Dining

At check in we had received a complimentary voucher for continental breakfast, which normally costs 15 Euro per person (ca. 20 USD). We showed the voucher to our hostess. She wouldn't take it and asked us to take a seat at the Gallery Lounge until a table was available. We had to wait around ten minutes.

The continental breakfast was served buffet style, including six different juices, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, pastries, fruit salad, cold cuts and much more. Some people would say the choice is too small, but there is also an a la carte menu available against a charge. One of us had the Pancakes, I had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. The portions were large, especially the salmon was generous.

There is waiter service for coffee/tea and toast.

We enjoyed breakfast and the view over Jack Wills and Bruxelles, a pub. One of us even managed to get slightly overeaten. When we left we asked our hostess for the bill. She assumed we simply had the continental breakfast and said it was free. We replied we had some a la carte items, so she quickly printed out the correct bill for us. It was 20 Euro (ca. 27 USD).

Checkout

Soon it was time to check out. There was a small queue, but the wait wasn't too long. Check out was with Joseph from Guest Relations. A nice touch was the offer of a free bottle of water for each of us. He already knew we don't like sparkling water, so it was automatically still, but he asked if we wanted it chilled or at room temperature. It reminded me of our check out at the Langham Hotel in Hong Kong, where we had limousine service to the airport and could choose a soft drink, ranging from water to Coca Cola to mango juice.

Overall

Our stay was really great. We felt valued and spoiled during our whole stay. The room, bathtub and bed were very comfortable. The staff was courteous, warm and knowledgeable. A flawless experience in this regard. This is definitely one of the best hotels in Dublin and the whole island. It deserves to be a member of the Leading Hotels of the World. As soon as our budget allows, we're back again.

Would we recommend this hotel to a friend? YES!

Would we return for more stays? YES!

For our photos:http://www.flickr.com/photos/uggboy/...7633155300399/

The Westbury Hotel

Would you like to write a review on the The Westbury Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks for the review, Dublin is on our list. Nice design, shame that they have no proper showers
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:25 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks for the review, Dublin is on our list. Nice design, shame that they have no proper showers
At the Merrion Hotel Dublin we had a separate bathtub and shower, plus at the newly opened Marker Hotel we had a Luxury Junior Suite which also boasted a bathtub with separate shower. Having said this, we love the Westbury too and had no problem with the set-up, as the bathtub was indeed wonderful. All three hotels are members of LHW. ^
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:28 am

This review amazes me. I have stayed at the Westbury and thought it was, at best, a four-star. The food was amateurish. Service was friendly...but amateurish. Design of the suites - nothing special at all.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
This review amazes me. I have stayed at the Westbury and thought it was, at best, a four-star. The food was amateurish. Service was friendly...but amateurish. Design of the suites - nothing special at all.
Can't really understand after having stayed there for three times on different occasions the negativity surrounding this property, I guess, it's all about personal flavor and preferences, this was indeed a very successful stay at the Westbury for us, from the friendly check-in, the LHW upgrade, free internet access, welcome presents, large spaces in our Studio suite, plus the bed and the food, overall a great stay.

We have stayed at all three LHW hotels and we love all three of them. They're all different from classic [ Merrion ], fusion [ Westbury ] to very modern [ The Marker ]. The Westbury is a real 5 star hotel and deserves it's high rating. ^
Old Apr 12, 2013, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I now saw some pictures at Oyster - extensive collection
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:12 am

Wow! I think I have to sit down I certainly wouldn't put The Westbury in the same category as The Merrion, but delighted you enjoyed it.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by paul2
Wow! I think I have to sit down I certainly wouldn't put The Westbury in the same category as The Merrion, but delighted you enjoyed it.
Quite!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:47 am
Original Poster

April 2013

The day after checking out from the Westbury Hotel we returned for the Easter Cocoa Atelier Afternoon Tea. ^

Cocoa Atelier is famous for its outstanding and award winning chocolates and macaroons. They have also a small shop in Drury Street opposite Blazing Salads, selling the above stated goods and a very excellent range of their ice creams, sorbets and Alain Milliat juices, nectars and jams. It's a real treasure trove for gourmets. The produce isn't cheap, but the quality and flavors speak for it.

Try definitely the Coffee Ice Cream. In my opinion it's one of the best we had in a longer time or the delicious macaroons. The meringue is so fragile, even a light touch of the finger can make a dent.

During Easter there was also a large Easter Chocolate Egg of the company on display at the hotel.

Our host found our reservation immediately and brought us to our table. We were seated near the fire place on a comfortable sofa.

We were handed the menu and chose our favorite tea - Granny's Garden. I had an orange juice, while my better half had a special Easter cocktail, the Toblerone.

The beverages arrived first, followed by the sandwiches. The savory selection was the same as we had at the Traditional Afternoon Tea. The ham sandwich seemed to have changed slightly, because it was more flavorful. They were served in a black hat box and delicious.

Soon afterwards the scones, jam and clotted cream arrived. The scones were warm. Two were plain, the others were with raisins.

We couldn't wait for the highlight - the sweets. There were different types of cakes and macaroons. The small cakes were presented in a black hat box and placed on a "lawn". They were elaborately decorated with even smaller details, like flowers, lady birds or bees. Some items were the same, but most were only once available. It made sharing a bit difficult, so we halved each delightful piece.

Maybe it would be better to have from each available cake a second one, like it is with a Traditional Afternoon Tea.

Our bill arrived, but unfortunately there was a small mistake, but it was rectified immediately and we received a big apology. The corrected amount was slightly under 90 Euro (ca. 119 USD).

We enjoyed the two hours very much. The tea was rare, beautifully and unusual presented as well as delicious.

The staff was very attentive. Beside the glitch with the bill the experience was flawless.

We are going to return definitely to the Gallery and the Westbury. ^
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:29 am

Has this now become the Westbury thread?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:13 pm

So the title says.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
So the title says.
I know, but when you consider that there is no Amanzo'e thread etc and that only truly high-end hotels like FS George V get their own threads, then you have to ask why The Wetsbury Dublin is worth our attention, even if it does do a great tea!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I know, but when you consider that there is no Amanzo'e thread etc and that only truly high-end hotels like FS George V get their own threads, then you have to ask why The Wetsbury Dublin is worth our attention, even if it does do a great tea!
Why should only high-end hotels get own threads? I´m also interested in other "Luxury Hotels", perhaps only to see that I better book another hotel.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Why should only high-end hotels get own threads? I´m also interested in other "Luxury Hotels", perhaps only to see that I better book another hotel.
This is the Luxury Hotel Forum.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

This is the Luxury Hotel Forum.
The Westbury is right at "home" here, the same "home" as The Merrion, The Marker, The Four Seasons in Dublin @ FT. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.