Wiki Posts
Search

REPORT: Washington DC Hotels Part 1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:39 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
My apologies for the delay -- I developed a serious infection while in DC and had to seek urgent medical attention. I am now at home nearly fully recovered.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by luxury
My apologies for the delay -- I developed a serious infection while in DC and had to seek urgent medical attention. I am now at home nearly fully recovered.
Sorry to hear of your illness. I hope your time at home helps you recover well.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Sorry to hear of your illness. I hope your time at home helps you recover well.
Agreed, best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Park Hyatt Washington DC

The Park Hyatt is in a nice location just outside of Georgetown and is located just South of Dupont Circle, West of the Ritz Carlton Washington DC (literally around the corner) and East of the Four Seasons.

We ended up staying in a Park Executive suite which is a great option for families who want to be in one room as the hotel can place two rollaways in the ample living area for children. There is a powder room upon entry into the suite which leads into a large living room with a 4 seater dining table, two coffee tables fronting a sofa fit for the tallest of NBA players. This is a great sofa! A pocket door leads to an office area which then leads to the bedroom and master bath. The bathroom is closed off from the bedroom by another sliding door and features dual vanities and a walk in closet area. I am not a fan of their Le Labo toiletries.

Door staff were the most attentive to date and service throughout was pleasant and friendly with one notable exception - the service in Blue Duck Tavern and Lounge.

The food was quite good in BDT. The breakfast selection is very good on the buffet (though no smoked salmon). Highlights were the sticky buns and the grits with cheese. Eggs were prepared well if not a little oily. Pastries were okay. The killer was the service -- there are many staff on hand but it seemed as if all players of the orchestra playing the score at their on tempo and whim. The service desperately needed a conductor to keep things moving. Staff would bring made to order egg whites to the table but would not remove the finished plate of my dining partner who was at the buffet getting more food; juice nor water would be re-filled yet someone would come to remove the tea leaves from the tea. Cutlery would not be replaced -- it was quiet surreal.

The Virtuoso amenities are quite good here. Upgrade to Premier Park Deluxe at time of booking; $32 per person per day breakfast credit in Blue Duck Tavern; and $100 Food and Beverage credit once per stay. Hyatt Platinum and Diamond members receive complimentary high speed internet.

Overall, I really enjoyed this property.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Four Seasons Washington DC

This review is largely through the eyes of my sister as she actually stayed at the hotel and experienced it and even did the site tour on my behalf while I was shacked up in much less luxurious digs called the George Washington University hospital.

The doormen are very friendly and attentive and were quick to assist with luggage. Front desk staff are very prompt and efficient and are courteous. Bell staff are very good.

We were booked into a Grand Premier room in the East Wing and the room is of decent size. Despite it supposedly being over 600 sq ft in size it felt a bit tight, especially for two. The room has a sofa which converts into a twin sofabed, a king bed, work desk, small coffee table and a rather large bathroom with separate stall shower, separate WC, tub and single vanity. View is over the courtyard which made for a very quite room. Soundproofing was excellent. The colour scheme is a little darker in the East Wing (purples, blues) while the West Wing is more yellow and brighter.

Breakfast food quality and service was excellent but pricey. It is obvious that many power meetings are held here as the service was the best of any hotel to date. Room service quality is excellent and delivery was very speedy.

This hotel hums along very well but lacks warmth somewhat similar to NYC but unlike Baltimore or even London Park Lane. Still, we think it is the best option in DC.

Last edited by luxury; Apr 6, 2013 at 1:39 am
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by luxury
The Park Hyatt is in a nice location just outside of Georgetown and is located just South of Dupont Circle, West of the Ritz Carlton Washington DC (literally around the corner) and East of the Four Seasons.

We ended up staying in a Park Executive suite which is a great option for families who want to be in one room as the hotel can place two rollaways in the ample living area for children. There is a powder room upon entry into the suite which leads into a large living room with a 4 seater dining table, two coffee tables fronting a sofa fit for the tallest of NBA players. This is a great sofa! A pocket door leads to an office area which then leads to the bedroom and master bath. The bathroom is closed off from the bedroom by another sliding door and features dual vanities and a walk in closet area. I am not a fan of their Le Labo toiletries.

Door staff were the most attentive to date and service throughout was pleasant and friendly with one notable exception - the service in Blue Duck Tavern and Lounge.

The food was quite good in BDT. The breakfast selection is very good on the buffet (though no smoked salmon). Highlights were the sticky buns and the grits with cheese. Eggs were prepared well if not a little oily. Pastries were okay. The killer was the service -- there are many staff on hand but it seemed as if all players of the orchestra playing the score at their on tempo and whim. The service desperately needed a conductor to keep things moving. Staff would bring made to order egg whites to the table but would not remove the finished plate of my dining partner who was at the buffet getting more food; juice nor water would be re-filled yet someone would come to remove the tea leaves from the tea. Cutlery would not be replaced -- it was quiet surreal.

The Virtuoso amenities are quite good here. Upgrade to Premier Park Deluxe at time of booking; $32 per person per day breakfast credit in Blue Duck Tavern; and $100 Food and Beverage credit once per stay. Hyatt Platinum and Diamond members receive complimentary high speed internet.

Overall, I really enjoyed this property.
Of note, internet is complimentary for all guests here...
and some of the Park Executive suites only have single vanities in the bathroom and lack the office area..

I posted an email to one of the front office managers with some of the grievances from my stay two weeks ago and haven't heard back. I don't think I'll be returning for a paid stay.

FDW
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
and some of the Park Executive suites only have single vanities in the bathroom and lack the office area..
Correct. I have had these before.

I would rate the property as moderate. It's usually cheaper than the rest so it makes it a decent value proposition sometimes.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: United
my initial impression of MODC is very average. the service is excellent, typical MO but the location of the hotel is really not that great.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Four Seasons Baltimore

-reserved-
Old Apr 6, 2013, 1:42 am
Original Poster

I have now added the review for FS Washington DC.

I would rank the hotels as such:

1. Four Seasons Washington DC
2. Park Hyatt
3. Ritz Carlton Washington DC
4. Mandarin Oriental
5. Ritz Carlton Georgetown

I am making plans to return to DC in early August (still very tentative) but will aim to try one or more of: Jefferson, Hay Adams, St. Regis and Capella.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Just a quick thanks to Luxury! This thread had exactly what I was looking for.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:06 pm

My favorite DC hotel is the FS in Georgetown. Whenever I stay somewhere else in DC, I regret it...

If you have a chance to leave DC, the Inn at Little Washington is outstanding in every way.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:43 pm

Any Washington D.C. updates? Would love to hear more about Hay Adams, Jefferson or St. Regis.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I stay a few times a year in DC for business. I continue to return to the Park Hyatt for a number of reasons:

1. Like their spacious Premier Deluxe rooms if facing 24 the street ( the alley is quiet at night but noisy early morning with delivery trucks).
2. Like the Blue Duck Tavern for dinner and the bar as well.
3. Room service good and efficient.
4. Service I gave experienced us be pearly good with some minor glitches, but I am a regular so may make a difference.
5. Like the central location - close to the heart of Georgetown, and not far from downtown.
6. In premier deluxe room you have two sinks, separate shower and separate bath, and is good size.

Caveats are:

1. Furnishings getting a bit old in the tooth - chair covers, etc - was there last week!
2. You gave to get premier deluxe or above or bath not up to snuff
3. You have to get location on 24th street high floor if light sleeper
4. There is a pool, but very small

Other hotels:

Four Seasons: I like a lot if the right rooms - premier or above. Prefer restaurant and bar at Park Hyatt, and location of Park Hyatt just a bit better for my business purposes. However it is a good choice.

Jefferson: love the hotel, but rooms very small unless you get a suite. Restaurant very good but not approachable fir more casual meal. Bar terrific. Bathrooms good. Location kind if strange but actually good for my business's. Having stayed there I think it us a real gem if you get get rift room and recently renovated. Park Hyatt just seems to suit my purposes more as I do a lot of business dinners there and us slightly better location for me, but maybe not fir the rest of you!

St Regis: have not stayed in a long time and I recall rooms very small.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: AMX CENT
RC Washington DC

Just looking to book a room here. The FHR Rate with stay three nights and the fourth is free makes it an even better deal.

Anyone have any experience when booking the one bedroom suite getting upgraded to the club one bedroom suite? FHR benefit includes one level up grade on check if available. Assuming the club level has space, is this where the upgrade will move us to?

We are travelling with teenage kids so the club floor with food would be helpful for those teenage cravings...

Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.