Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

REPORT: Washington DC Hotels Part 1

REPORT: Washington DC Hotels Part 1

Old Nov 16, 18, 6:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post

Iíd also recommend the Rosewood if you like being in Gítown. Itís beautiful and boutique and really impressed us. You also could consider the FS or MO or PH. I love the dining at the PH, but Iíve heard service there is also hit or miss.
Service is like most PHs. Just a notch below FS standard (except for Istanbul)
Old Nov 16, 18, 7:04 pm

Iíd also recommend the Rosewood if you like being in Gítown. Itís beautiful and boutique and really impressed us. You also could consider the FS or MO or PH. I love the dining at the PH, but Iíve heard service there is also hit or miss.
Thanks, I will take a look at the Mandarin. It will be my first time to DC so I want to be close to downtown and look at all the things I see on TV.
Old Nov 16, 18, 7:16 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by muran View Post
Thanks, I will take a look at the Mandarin. It will be my first time to DC so I want to be close to downtown and look at all the things I see on TV.

first time to DC? I would take a pass on the MO. Iíve never been a huge fan of its location and as a first time visitor itís really not where you want to be. It feels so isolated and set apart. I donít like the area at all. If you really want to be in the mix of things than the Hay Adams, intercontinental and StR are located where you want to be. Iíll put another plug for the PH in that you can walk to Georgetown, and walk to DuPont/Foggy Bottom which puts some solid restaurants within walking distance and the metro As well. Right where the PH is there isnít much going on but itís reasonable close to some stuff. As much as I love Georgetown I would pass for a first visit because itís location is removed from the monuments....

fdw
carls888 and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 16, 18, 7:45 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’ll be trying the RC Georgetown and RC Washington in the spring. I’ve heard nice things. Curious to see how they measure up, to each other, to the problematic StR, and to the other top hotels in the city (HA, FS, Rosewood, MO, PH, Jefferson, IC Willard, etc.).
FlyingDoctorwu and muran like this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post

first time to DC? I would take a pass on the MO. I’ve never been a huge fan of its location and as a first time visitor it’s really not where you want to be. It feels so isolated and set apart. I don’t like the area at all. If you really want to be in the mix of things than the Hay Adams, intercontinental and StR are located where you want to be. I’ll put another plug for the PH in that you can walk to Georgetown, and walk to DuPont/Foggy Bottom which puts some solid restaurants within walking distance and the metro As well. Right where the PH is there isn’t much going on but it’s reasonable close to some stuff. As much as I love Georgetown I would pass for a first visit because it’s location is removed from the monuments....

fdw
Thanks, going to choose between one of them but I am leaning towards the St Regis. I will see what my wife thinks, she wanted to stay at the Grand Hyatt because of the easy metro access. The allure of the name should win her over.

Last edited by muran; Nov 20, 18 at 7:55 pm
Old Nov 24, 18, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Thanks, going to choose between one of them but I am leaning towards the St Regis. I will see what my wife thinks, she wanted to stay at the Grand Hyatt because of the easy metro access. The allure of the name should win her over.
I would do some research before locking the St Regis. This property seems to not be that well regarded and does not seem to be up to normal StR standards.

Regards
bhrubin and muran like this.
Old Dec 19, 18, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Nicest hotel pool in the winter months

first time to DC? I would take a pass on the MO. I’ve never been a huge fan of its location and as a first time visitor it’s really not where you want to be. It feels so isolated and set apart. I don’t like the area at all. If you really want to be in the mix of things than the Hay Adams, intercontinental and StR are located where you want to be. I’ll put another plug for the PH in that you can walk to Georgetown, and walk to DuPont/Foggy Bottom which puts some solid restaurants within walking distance and the metro As well. Right where the PH is there isn’t much going on but it’s reasonable close to some stuff. As much as I love Georgetown I would pass for a first visit because it’s location is removed from the monuments....

fdw

I’ll be trying the RC Georgetown and RC Washington in the spring. I’ve heard nice things. Curious to see how they measure up, to each other, to the problematic StR, and to the other top hotels in the city (HA, FS, Rosewood, MO, PH, Jefferson, IC Willard, etc.).
This is a very helpful thread. I have a stay in DC area coming up and as best I can tell none of the usual suspects appear to have indoor pools that seem that nice. I used to enjoy the PH when it was first refreshed but the pool is minuscule. I have a deep reaction to the Four Seasons in DC, the service is tops but for various personal reasons it really bothers me, as I feel the physical structure looks like a crematorium and the pool area like a dungeon. I dont like that the RC DC is a shared gym pool, it doesnt look nice at all for relaxing.

Wondering about the MO, it almost looks a little gym like as well? Based on photos it almost looks like the pool at the RC Tyson's Corner might be nicest, could this really be the case?

Anything else I overlooked? Thanks in advance, BT
Old Dec 19, 18, 7:31 am
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels View Post
This is a very helpful thread. I have a stay in DC area coming up and as best I can tell none of the usual suspects appear to have indoor pools that seem that nice. I used to enjoy the PH when it was first refreshed but the pool is minuscule. I have a deep reaction to the Four Seasons in DC, the service is tops but for various personal reasons it really bothers me, as I feel the physical structure looks like a crematorium and the pool area like a dungeon. I dont like that the RC DC is a shared gym pool, it doesnt look nice at all for relaxing.

Wondering about the MO, it almost looks a little gym like as well? Based on photos it almost looks like the pool at the RC Tyson's Corner might be nicest, could this really be the case?

Anything else I overlooked? Thanks in advance, BT
i knew there was something about the FS that bothered me!

in terms of proper pools in DC well there really arenít any. Youíre entirely correct about the PH and weíve used the RC DC pool before and itís a disappointment. Iíve never stayed at the MO but based on pictures itís got to be the best option in the area (best amongst bad though). Once more I am not a fan of the MO location and would not stay there just for the pool. Have you any reason to be out by Tysonís? If not I would avoid the RC there. First of all itís not convenient to the DC core and secondly itís really just a Marriott Plus.

So so in summary, DC is by the place to go if you want a nice indoor pool.

Fdw
Old Dec 19, 18, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: BA

i knew there was something about the FS that bothered me!

in terms of proper pools in DC well there really aren’t any. You’re entirely correct about the PH and we’ve used the RC DC pool before and it’s a disappointment. I’ve never stayed at the MO but based on pictures it’s got to be the best option in the area (best amongst bad though). Once more I am not a fan of the MO location and would not stay there just for the pool. Have you any reason to be out by Tyson’s? If not I would avoid the RC there. First of all it’s not convenient to the DC core and secondly it’s really just a Marriott Plus.

So so in summary, DC is by the place to go if you want a nice indoor pool.

Fdw
Thank you FDW, agree on all accounts, luckily I am not traveling to the area just for an indoor pool Thanks also for commenting about the 4S physical structure, it was such an uncomfortable feeling that came over me when I pulled up the first time.

Its a pity the 4S Baltimore doesnt have an indoor pool as that is a lovely property. I have to be around a 40 minute or so radius of DC and it does look like the MO is better option of the bunch (and not even looking that great as you say....)