Community
Wiki Posts
Search

REPORT: Washington DC Hotels Part 1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold

Not to impose, but would reiterate my strong recommendation against the PH. I can't remember the room categories, but I paid for a view something or other. We had a view of a hotel across the street at that's it, nothing. The bathroom was not cleaned appropriately and there was sewer gases venting into the bathroom. There are plenty of other reasonable properties in the area.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by LM225
FlyingDoctorWu stays here more often than I do (and his recommendation was the reason I tried it again), so perhaps he can add something here, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Not much to add except for PH is really the value choice in DC. It's always much much less expensive than the FS. I really prefer the FS location as it's in the hart of Georgetown but the PH's has grown on me.. I'like being able to walk to Dupont Circle, where my two favorite restaurants in DC are (Obelisk and Sushi Taro). The suites are quite nice at the FS, but I actually prefer the Park Exec to the Ambassador Suite... The Ambassador suite is very long and narrow. The hard product at the PH is probably on par with the FS;but don't book the lead in room. They are quite small and feature a shower over tub combo. I think that Virtuoso bookings for 2014 included an upgrade at time of booking; I'm not sure about 2015...

And yes, the Blue Duck is quite a good restaurant. We had reservations at Rasika (another good restaurant that's not too far away) and canceled them to eat in.

FS gets the nod for spa/leisure facilities but I did appreciate the ability to borrow a bike. FS also gets the nod for service but that's to be expected because in my mind FS>>>>>PH....

FDW
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Distilled
Not to impose, but would reiterate my strong recommendation against the PH. I can't remember the room categories, but I paid for a view something or other. We had a view of a hotel across the street at that's it, nothing. The bathroom was not cleaned appropriately and there was sewer gases venting into the bathroom. There are plenty of other reasonable properties in the area.
Views are not something one would get at this hotel, no doubt. Don't think I have ever had those issues, though. Hope you brought this to attention of the management.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold

I did. After several emails and me explaining to them what the likely problem was the gen manager sent a nice email agreeing with my concerns and confirming my suspicions about the problem. It was handled well but ultimately I think that the problems were significant enough that it will prevent me from staying here again.

I agree I wasn't expecting a great view at the property, but if that was the only issue I wouldn't have any real problems with it. But I was appalled by the bathroom issues, so it was adding salt to the wound that I paid extra for the upgraded view room, whatever was one step down from a suite. I thought the room was generally dated and overall not impressive. No couch, just a couple of uncomfortable chairs and no coffee table in the sitting area, so lots of empty and unused space. Wasn't fond of the mattress, but that is a personal preference thing. Just didn't think that it deserved any mention in the same thread as the hotels mentioned here.

Agree with other posters that BDT is a high point for the hotel, but one doesn't need to stay there to go.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I stayed at Capella last night. Overall, I was very pleased with my experience. Though not in decor, frankly the hotel had an Aman-ish feel to it.

The room was absolutely gorgeous. It had a residential feel to it unlike any other hotel room I've been in anywhere in the world. Kage pointed out a suite sale which I took advantage of, then was upgraded to a higher suite category.

Having read the limited number of negative reviews, I can see how and why those played out. I had one small issue (my shoes didn't come back from the overnight shine) and while it was resolved (read: I got my shoes, and they were shiny), the process to resolve it didn't inspire confidence.

I'll provide a detailed report in due course, including some photos that I took. I expect to stay here again.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by luxury
I have now added the review for FS Washington DC.

I would rank the hotels as such:

1. Four Seasons Washington DC
2. Park Hyatt
3. Ritz Carlton Washington DC
4. Mandarin Oriental
5. Ritz Carlton Georgetown

I am making plans to return to DC in early August (still very tentative) but will aim to try one or more of: Jefferson, Hay Adams, St. Regis and Capella.
Would be interested to see where you rank Hay Adams, St. Regis and Capella on this list. Also find it curious that the Willard IC is missing.

I am a fan of the St. Regis, but again I have a bias in terms of location - much prefer to be downtown or at least close to metro. The Georgetown locations just don't do it for me, though I suppose it doesn't matter if you have a driver.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Following to my earlier post, here is my report on my stay at Capella DC.

http://sitinfirst.com/2014/12/capella-washington-dc/
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:37 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NYBanker

Thanks for the review. Hotel looks sexy and gorgeous. very contemporary. Bedroom of the suite looks like a great place to rest but is it me or does the living room look a bit tight? Maybe they should have taken a bit of the too big bathroom and added it to the bedroom (though the bathroom looks great).

Fdw
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Hotel looks sexy and gorgeous. very contemporary. Bedroom of the suite looks like a great place to rest but is it me or does the living room look a bit tight? Maybe they should have taken a bit of the too big bathroom and added it to the bedroom (though the bathroom looks great).
Absolutely agree with all of this, and thanks NYBanker for the TR. Good to see you back around these parts.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:12 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NYBanker

I'll admit, I've avoided the Capella precisely because of the outlier negative reviews -- even when they've had competitive rates -- but this made me reconsider.

It looks fantastic (especially the bathroom and rooftop bar).

Warm bone marrow is served along with butter as accompaniments for the bread.
I love bone marrow, but have never seen it served this way (without ordering it). Very nice ^

Thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:57 am

Thanks all for the kind words.

FDW: Indeed, the living room is tight. The coffee table is oversized in general, and certainly for the space.

LM: When it works (which I think it does most of the time), their service proposition is really at a higher level than most domestic luxury hotels.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I did an inspection of the Capella last month and I really liked it. The owner was connected to the RC. I love the location and it is surprisingly quiet. Very homey feeling. The bar and restaurant are perfect after a long day out.

My fave restaurant in all of the DC area is around the corner. Philomena's It is incredible and in 30 years have not had a bad meal.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:32 pm

Going to a wedding this spring in D.C. at the Ritz. I was looking to book through Amex FHR or Visa Infinite portals, but not completely tied to that.

I'm considering not staying at the Ritz, as I prefer a more contemporary/modern aesthetic. I think the PH or Rosewood may fit that bill?

Or maybe book the upcoming Line Hotel? I know it's not considered full-on luxury, but an upgraded room there might be pretty nice. Thoughts?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:12 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Going to a wedding this spring in D.C. at the Ritz. I was looking to book through Amex FHR or Visa Infinite portals, but not completely tied to that.

I'm considering not staying at the Ritz, as I prefer a more contemporary/modern aesthetic. I think the PH or Rosewood may fit that bill?

Or maybe book the upcoming Line Hotel? I know it's not considered full-on luxury, but an upgraded room there might be pretty nice. Thoughts?
Which RC- Georgetown or DC or....

Rosewood is right next to RC Georgetown; PH next to Georgetown DC.

we quite liked the Rosewood (and the PH too)
FDW
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Which RC- Georgetown or DC or....

Rosewood is right next to RC Georgetown; PH next to Georgetown DC.

we quite liked the Rosewood (and the PH too)
FDW
The regular Ritz - not Georgetown. Leaning towards PH because I can get Hyatt points... not sure if there is anywhere else that I should look into.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.