Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Help needed: Nov 2013 luxury trip with 20-month old and nanny

Help needed: Nov 2013 luxury trip with 20-month old and nanny

Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Amanpuri two bedroom pool pavilion.
If it were I, that's where I'd go, but I think there's quite a lot more stuff to do in Bali so that might better suit the OP.

Last edited by 5khours; Feb 19, 2013 at 3:45 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:35 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Regarding Sveti Stefan island all year around: I am pretty certain that they told me that the island will never be all year. Even when we were there (in the middle of the summer), there was one day where the waves were so high that we got pretty wet from the sea when walking from mainland to island, and that was really nothing compared to what an autumn storm would be like. I might be wrong, but this is what I remember.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

between weather and reservations sounds like island never open during winter.
not sure what i recall being posted and i may have misinterpreted etc.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 19, 2013 at 1:53 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
What about the USVI / BVI? There are lots of trails for hiking in the national parks and bouldering is popular at The Baths on Virgin Gorda.

Hotel options would include the Ritz-Carlton on St. Thomas, Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda, and Caneel Bay on St. John. Could even easily split time between two resorts which would offer more exploration of the outdoors, restaurants, etc.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
4S in Sharm El Sheikh and do a side trip to Jordan to hike the Petra?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Musken
Regarding Sveti Stefan island all year around: I am pretty certain that they told me that the island will never be all year. Even when we were there (in the middle of the summer), there was one day where the waves were so high that we got pretty wet from the sea when walking from mainland to island, and that was really nothing compared to what an autumn storm would be like. I might be wrong, but this is what I remember.
You are right - the island will always close during winter. Villa Milocer caters to winter guests.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by CMV
Has anyone been to Amanruya in November? What would the weather be like? And what's the hiking like (long walks or more strenuous)?
I was on Provo in January (once) and July (once). We know a couple that lives (since 1990s) on Provo and she recommends November, especially over Thanksgiving because the water is still warm from the summer.

I have not stayed at Amanruya but from what I know of the island, it is rather flat and dry. There are interesting limestone rock formations. I don't know how much hiking will be found around the resort, it is an isolated location.

I am a Caneel Bay fan but if you are looking for an attending to your every need type of service, you aren't going to find it at Caneel. For example, there is no beach food service, there is a cart that drives around but it is infrequent. Room service can be very slow. The pool is small and located at the top of the hill. The rooms are plain - tile, sleek teak mid-century furniture, no tv, no phones. Read the good, bad and ugly reviews on TA for an interesting overview.

Caneel would be great for kids. We see a fair share of 3+ generation families there as well as families travelling with nannies. November would be a good time to visit. It tends to sell out over the holiday. STJ is fantastic for the beaches (Caneel has seven) and hiking.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:39 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
Hands down, Four Seasons Hualalai

Normal Hualalai day:
Canoeing with the whales and dolphins early morning, spin class at 8:00 am, perfect Four Seasons breakfast at 9:00 am reading NYT, beachtree pool 10:00-12:00, good ahi sushi with ocean view for lunch, private pizza cooking class in the afternoon, and great dinner with waves crashing feet away lit by the most beautiful sunset at Ulu.

Most importantly, they understand and care for families with young children like no other hotel, even amongst Four Seasons highest of standards.
Agreed in all respects. This is the spot to go.
Old May 3, 2013, 4:07 pm

I actually have a 19 month old, and respectfully, the longest 16 hours of my life was a direct flight home in business from Hong Kong when my last one was around 20 months old. And yes I had 3 adults to mind the children. Just be forewarned that 7 months from now your child may be far more difficult to contain/entertain on an airplane than she is now.....

That being said I have to echo the 4 Seasons or Aman idea both deal wonderfully with children. And it is true that the Four Seasons Hualalai has a wonderful children's pool. Also we have rented a villa with a golf cart there when traveling with children and nanny and it is a very good combination of space/privacy and hotel services. The two room thing can be a bit tight as you may want more private space to relax.

I have also had a younger baby at Amanpuri if you can stand the flight and it is wonderful with children;s pool and excellent villas and a toddler friendly pool.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:42 pm

20 month old kid... Wow. Yeah, we did that. 14+ hrs is brutal with small children, no matter how you do it.

If you are in DC, i'd recommend the caribbean. In november, i'd go down to the dutch caribbean. The new Ritz Carlton in Aruba should be worth a shot. Aruba is pretty much ruined but its warm and nice.

Cheers

Morgan
Old May 10, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by NYCMom
I actually have a 19 month old, and respectfully, the longest 16 hours of my life was a direct flight home in business from Hong Kong when my last one was around 20 months old. And yes I had 3 adults to mind the children. Just be forewarned that 7 months from now your child may be far more difficult to contain/entertain on an airplane than she is now.....
+1
Mine is 23 months and she can't stay "nice" for more than 30 mns
I already missed when she was 6 / 9 months and didn't walk (walk = break)
Old May 14, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Ritz Carlton Stars, Four Seasons Preferred, Rosewood Elite
Four Seasons always an excellent choice for families & plenty to do on the Big Island in terms of excursions/activities. However, traveling with a toddler from DC it may be better to break the trip up with a night in CA on the front & back end & more enjoyable for everyone. The RC Marina Del Ray (only 5 miles from LAX) offers a Lavish Layover Package which includes the following:

· Overnight accommodations in a gorgeous guestroom
· Private roundtrip airport transfers
· Early check-in or late check-out
· $25 hotel credit

Cheers!
Kim
Old May 19, 2013, 5:08 pm
CMV
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Gold, UA Gold
Thanks very much for all the replies; very much appreciated.

Our daughter is a pretty good traveler, but we're now thinking that perhaps traveling for 24 hours is not the way to go. So . . . 4S Nevis -- has anyone been since the post-storm renovation? Thoughts? What about the private residences in particular? We're thinking about a 2BR. Any and all thoughts appreciated.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Some will scoff, but how about a spare-no-expense visit to Disney World? You can't get a 2BR suite at the Grand Floridian within your price range (they're about $2,600/nt around Thanksgiving), but you could get into any of the resorts one notch down right around $2K/nt. With concierge service, VIP tours, etc. you can really avoid crowds and get the most out of your time there. The flights would be short and easy, the weather is ideal, and that's really a great time of year to go to enjoy the Christmas decorations and special events without the insanity of at-capacity crowds.
Old May 24, 2013, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Some will scoff, but how about a spare-no-expense visit to Disney World? You can't get a 2BR suite at the Grand Floridian within your price range (they're about $2,600/nt around Thanksgiving), but you could get into any of the resorts one notch down right around $2K/nt. With concierge service, VIP tours, etc. you can really avoid crowds and get the most out of your time there. The flights would be short and easy, the weather is ideal, and that's really a great time of year to go to enjoy the Christmas decorations and special events without the insanity of at-capacity crowds.
good idea, do you have a small space for me ? I'd love to go to Disney

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.