Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Rosewood Mayakoba vs. Banyan Tree (Cancun, Mexico)

Old Jan 30, 13, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts on which is the better choice?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jan 30, 13 at 4:22 pm Reason: Clarified location in thread title
Old Jan 30, 13, 1:51 pm

Rosewood... we had a bad stay at the Banyan Tree in January. We went for drinks at the Rosewood and thought it was very nice and wished we had stayed there. Please do a search for Banyan Tree trip reports on here and you can see my review.
Old Jan 30, 13, 2:26 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I second the vote for Rosewood.

Any additional details that you could provide about what you are looking for in a resort / vacation would be helpful in terms of recommendations.
Old Jan 31, 13, 7:03 am

We stayed at both last spring, and while both are nice resorts, I think BT is the better choice. Food was remarkably poor at Rosewood, and it felt crowded at the pool and beach (not to mention...lots of kids). BT has nicer rooms, warmer service, better food, and you get a much larger villa pool and outdoor area that is more private. We are headed back to BT in a week, so I will update if things have changed.
Old Feb 1, 13, 5:58 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
As an outsider looking in (someone who hasn't been to either) I've read good reviews of both. They have a similar layout with waterways and smaller beachfront. Both look beautiful and have good service. If/when we go, we will probably base our decision on the packages and rates available at the time.
Old Feb 16, 13, 3:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Platinum, Inspirato, UA Spouse of GS,Amanjunkie,Starwood Platinum,Hyatt Diam

Am at Banyan Tree now. Avoid this property and book Rosewood instead(if you must come to mayakoba). Not up to the service standards that us flyertalkers expect. Mishap after mishap. Will do a more detailed trip report upon return, but I see why this is not a virtuoso property. (we had to stay here due to a wedding we are in).
Old Feb 19, 13, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

After returning from both, I ended up preferring the Banyan. I do agree that the service is slightly better at Rosewood.
Old Mar 8, 13, 9:39 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Rosewood

Just got back from 4 day getaway, stayed on beach side in oceanview. We stuck with the room despite being upgraded to beachfront suite by FHR amenities as wanted the larger space with my son (pull out sofa instead of rollaway). Rooftop deck with pool was nice but we all missed the beachfront room too much that, if go back, definitiely that is way to go. Saw clear improvements from September "refresh" especially in food. The quality of food was clear step up from a year ago. Service is still just phenomenal, anticpating needs, learning from your habits (butler brought beer and drinks and snacks up to us on deck third day in late afternoon because we had asked for it last two days). This resort is really humming and deserves kudos, only downside is it was much busier than last time. You don't notice at all as so spread out and private most of time, except for beach club area which was very crowded comared to a year ago. But still no problem getting chairs, etc set up, just busier feel.
Old Apr 9, 13, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Plat/MM, AA 2MM, AF Sil, Bonvoy Tit (LTG), HH Dia
Viceroy

Was looking at heading to one of these two (Rosewood, BT) over Memorial Day, or possibly the Viceroy-- has anyone here stayed there for comparison sake? I'm going with my wife (no kids yet), so we'd actually prefer less of a family scene.
Old Apr 9, 13, 9:02 am
Original Poster

BT is much less family oriented. It's a very romantic. The rooms are spectacular. I'd avoid the Viceroy.
Old Apr 9, 13, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Hotelsforlife View Post
BT is much less family oriented. It's a very romantic. The rooms are spectacular. I'd avoid the Viceroy.
Thanks, Hotelsforlife. Any particular reason you'd avoid the Viceroy? It seems to get pretty solid reviews on TA... was also looking at the Maroma for the beach.
Old Apr 11, 13, 11:31 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Maroma is great if you love the beach and there is a lot of room to spread out both there and at the pools.

Rosewood has plenty of tranquil spaces for retreat (if needed) and a variety of food options, including those at the other Mayakoba properties.

Banyan is nice if you want a large private pool and plan to spend most of your time at your villa.

I have not yet been to Viceroy. They recently had a fire and lost several villas and had others damaged. They are fully operational, but you may want to wait to visit.
Old Apr 11, 13, 12:07 pm

visited the property 2 years ago while staying at the Ritz Cancun. Thought I'd be blown away, but came away underwhelmed. Had lunch at the beach restaurant, service was amateurish, food just okay, and was shocked by how small the beachfront and beachfront pool were. Glad wed chosen the Ritz, even with its more traditional, smaller rooms.

Haven't seen Rosewood, but would have to choose that between the two. I was also more impressed with the Fairmont.
Old Apr 11, 13, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by lotuseater52 View Post
visited the property 2 years ago while staying at the Ritz Cancun. Thought I'd be blown away, but came away underwhelmed. Had lunch at the beach restaurant, service was amateurish, food just okay, and was shocked by how small the beachfront and beachfront pool were. Glad wed chosen the Ritz, even with its more traditional, smaller rooms.

Haven't seen Rosewood, but would have to choose that between the two. I was also more impressed with the Fairmont.
You'd choose the Ritz and the Fairmont over the Banyan Tree? Is that based on value or your assessment of the rooms? Fairmont has rates under $200/night now... assumed it wasn't in the same ballpark as the BT or Rosewood, as I don't generally associate Fairmont with luxury.
Old Apr 11, 13, 3:58 pm

ps9a, both the Fairmont Mayakoba and the Ritz Cancun are AAA 5 diamond hotels.

While I'm sure the rooms win at the Banyan Tree over those two, I would bet my life that the service and beach are better at the Ritz, as well as the value. (Rooms at Ritz are impeccably clean and comfortable, with beautiful marble bathrooms but definitely not over the top luxury rooms. The Club level is a must.)
As for overall property, the Fairmont looked very nice, and it is a great value...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: