Programs: Amex Centurion; SPG Plat
Amanpulo Trip Report

Amanpulo

Map| 4 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Amanpulo

Pamalican Island , PH

Amanpulo Trip Report (0 Photo)

Amanpulo

Recently returned from eight days at Amanpulo with Mrs. NYFlyer1 and our kids. I've been a frequent reader and beneficiary of the Aman-related trip reports in this forum, but have (embarrassingly) never posted a trip report myself. This will hopefully be the first of many. Or at least a few. We were at Amanpulo during peak holiday ("festive") season -- xmas and New Year's; the resort was 100% sold every night. But even though every room was occupied, the island felt blissfully uncrowded: we were even able to score pool salas (shaded pavilions by the pool with beds) mid-day! In our experience, that is impossible at most 5-star non-Aman beach hotels during peak season, where you either have to wake up at 5 a.m. to strategically put magazines/books on prime beach/pool chairs to reserve them, or pay a staff member to do so. The level of privacy we experienced at Amanpulo, particularly in the beach casitas (we split half hilltop and half beach -- terrace is more useable on the hilltop and there is a good view of the sea, but otherwise the beach casita is definitely the way to go as others have said) contributed to our overall impression of it being possibly the best beach resort we've ever visited. IMHO, Amanpulo beats several of the other Aman beach resorts hands-down, including puri, kila and wella. Those hotels are wonderful too, but lack the combination of privacy, confectionary-sugar-like sand, and crystal-clear water that pulo has. Other contenders for best beach (at least that we have experienced) are in the Maldives.

Service

The service at Amanpulo was excellent. All staff members seemed to know our names within an hour of our arrival; this was especially impressive given the hotel's full occupancy. Everyone was very responsive to requests, including those of our children. The tennis instructors were great, and our son played two hours each day with one of the designated hitters, for very low cost. The kids also loved to collect shells on the beach, and we all enjoyed snorkeling straight out in front of our casita, with a large variety of coral and fish on display.

Dining

The only significant area of improvement that we could identify at Amanpulo involves the food. Admittedly we are food-snobby New Yorkers whose social life at home consists primarily (entirely?) of going out to eat, but we were disappointed with the food at Amanpulo. We had eaten some truly excellent food at other Amans (particularly puri, jiwo, bagh, galla and nusa), but the culinary options at Amanpulo were a mixed bag.

First the good: F&B Director Rajeev Paul was incredibly nice and responsive to our requests; he was basically willing to make whatever we asked for. The problem arose in the execution of those meals, where the chefs/kitchen staff demonstrated little understanding of how to make the food taste as good as it should. Spices and salt (and therefore flavor) were generally missing from most of the many dishes we tried. Surprisingly, even though the resort is Asian, most of the disappointing dishes were Asian, because they were consistently under-seasoned. We love Asian food, have been to Asia 15-20 times and generally plan our trips around food. That said, there were a number of very good dishes at Amanpulo, including (in no particular order): pizza at the picnic grove (most flavorful food on the island -- try our daughter's creation the Veronicarabiatta: tomato sauce, chili flakes, garlic and pecorino); good burgers; consistently crispy french fries; ice creams/sorbets; rice pudding (desserts generally were strong); spring rolls with pork; beef on skewers at the Vietnamese restaurant; churros for breakfast (awesome); grilled chorizo; vanilla yogurt with tropical fruit.

Renovations

We had a good chat with Topo at dinner one night, and he shared with us interesting details about Amanpulo's renovation plans. The resort will be renovating all of the casitas starting approximately now (mid-January). They will begin with casita 29, which will serve as a model for the other casitas; that casita is often out of rotation anyway because of villa construction next door. After 29 is complete and approved as a model, they will renovate the casitas starting with the low numbers and work up (i.e., 1, 2, 3, etc.). They anticipate that it will be a 1-2 year project. The renovation will include a complete re-do of the bathrooms, plus not as extensive renovation of the bedrooms. The focus apparently will be on making the casitas feel somewhat more contemporary (without losing the Amanpulo charm), and on improving aging infrastructure including lighting and electrical access. The casitas will retain the same footprint. Unrelated to the renovation but also under the "development" umbrella, apparently six land parcels on the southwest side of the island (near casita 29) were bought by two brothers, who are building only two villas on the land.

Overall

A few improvement suggestions to round out this report: the beach casitas should have outside showers; the tea in the casitas should be better than the pedestrian Twinings brand (according to my tea-drinking wife); and the boutique could use a more discerning eye -- the products were ok, but for the most part not as interesting as in many other Aman boutiques (including Jiwo, Puri, Bagh, Nusa). Anyway, bottom line is that we really loved Amanpulo, and look forward to returning soon, hopefully to renovated casitas and more flavorful food.

Amanpulo Trip Report

Would you like to write a review on the Amanpulo?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Great Report and happy to hear about the upcoming renovations!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:33 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Thanks for the report! We're booked for 5 nights this coming July, and the info you provided - especially about the renovation plans - are super useful. I'll definitely be sure to ask for one of the renovated casitas.

Last edited by KI-NRT; Mar 15, 2013 at 10:17 pm
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great report and details, including new details and news ^
hope you stick around

Originally Posted by NYflyer1
six land parcels on the southwest side of the island (near casita 29) were bought by two brothers, who are building only two villas on the land.
any mention of whether they will rent, and design?

Musken included villa report (NW with good beach as opposed to newer SE)
i think NW ("west") and N ("nature") are owned by owners/sorianos/etc?
they added pools, and look the same as newer SE. i wonder if they will renovate NW/N with casitas.
i recall villa lots for sale in NE at one point - dont recall what all i was able to post, besides 4BR plans

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 23, 2013 at 11:31 pm
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Great Report and happy to hear about the upcoming renovations!
^

Glad renovations have begun , just as Tapa T told us last month.

Have not posted a TR as yet - always in jet lagged state it seems like..
Others like you have done superb ones :-:

Enjoyed the crab dishes at Vietnamese restaurant too & also crepe souffle, etc for breakfast.
Molly managed to deliver on specific dishes - even ' rare ' Peranakan " improvised ".
You need to let them know follow recipes as for locals if not they temper as often others can't handle the spiciness !

Boutique ( buying ) is also being revamped - FYI ,what you saw was by/under previous GM

Looking forward to Kila / Nusa over CNY to thaw out after Amanless & - 20 s C Finnish Lapland
.. Sub zero English weather !! - no rain but snow ..

P. S. Some villa lots still for sale , some available for rent now - they have private beach access !!

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 23, 2013 at 11:00 pm Reason: Add villas info
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:57 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks a lot for this great report. I long to go back. It is now almost a year since we were there.

For the food thing I wonder if it is all about different taste or about what one is used to from home country restaurants or if is really not good enough at the moment. We consider ourselves foodies as well, eat out a lot, love Asian authentic and spicy food and loved what we got at pulo. But others agree with you.

Amankila us wonderful in any case.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:20 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thanks for posting, NYflyer1! We look forward to hearing more from you in the future.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Thanks for the trip report. Agree on the outdoor showers. Would also like screens in the windows and terraces with better seating and better views.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:30 am

Wonderful report! Can you dwell for a minute on the practicalities: how old are your kids and what was the sleeping arrangement? I have two small ones (8 and 6) and have often wondered whether they would do well at this resort. There are loads of others that are cheaper and that would accommodate our kids well, but we don't just travel for their benefit!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:52 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Amanpulo Trip Report

If you do a search, you will find my trip report from amanpulo last march with kid where I have written quite a lot about kids issues/activities etc. I think amanpulo is a great place to go with kids.

I have bumped up my trip report so that you can easily find it.

Last edited by Musken; Jan 31, 2013 at 2:58 pm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Musken
If you do a search, you will find my trip report from amanpulo last march with kid where I have written quite a lot about kids issues/activities etc. I think amanpulo is a great place to go with kids.

I have pushed up my trip report so that you can easily find it.
Many thanks - I missed your original TR and found it answered exactly the questions I had.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion; SPG Plat
Agree that Musken's TR was great -- I used it to plan our stay.

Eamus FYI, my kids are 12 and 9 years old. They slept on the two daybeds that seem to be part of every casita in the resort; they essentially are twin beds, perhaps slightly narrower, but definitely good for kids as young as yours. We had considered upgrading to one of the villas, but the combination of the significant increased expense (triple the casita cost) and the fact that multi-bedroom villas are configured as individual casitas grouped around a common courtyard/pool area -- which means your kids would be in a casita not adjoining your casita, but rather separated by an outdoor area -- persuaded us to bite the bullet and share a single casita.

There were many kids' activities, especially for younger children like yours; the nanny-to-child ratio was remarkable: when we went to the club to check it out for our younger child, without exaggeration there were at least eight nannies playing with two children. But re kids' activities remember to double-check with Amanpulo before you book, because I suspect that many of the activities disappear during non-school-holiday-break periods.

Totally agree with Musken that Amanpulo is a great place to go with kids, one of the best Amans for that. I think the only one that has been better in that respect is Amanbagh, where the kids rode camels daily (sometimes twice per day), and loved all of the many excursions around the local rural area, including interacting with local children in the village. I suppose the fact that the kids had their own house-sized suite (shared with their grandmother) with its own pool may have added to their enjoyment. It certainly added to ours.

One last (slightly off-topic) point, for which I hope I won't be berated on this Aman thread: the best kids' program we've ever experienced was at the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Truly incredible, including riding water buffalo through rice paddies, planting rice, making crafts with locals in a "village" that the MO created on-property. My kids still talk about it years later. And the hotel is great too.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYflyer1
the best kids' program we've ever experienced was at the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Devi in Chiang Mai, Thailand
btw >

Overall we still rate the kids club at Langkawi higher, but The FS Mauritius kids club was better for him at this age, so let's say the two share the gold medal. :-)
FS mauritius also has "Cercle Sportif" offering
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:17 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Amanpulo Trip Report

From what i have read about the kids Club at the mo Chiang mai, i am sure it will be the best. The program sounds amazing. My only worry would be that I would not see my son at all. ;-)
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:17 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
From what i have read about the kids Club at the mo Chiang mai, i am sure it will be the best. The program sounds amazing. My only worry would be that I would not see my son at all. ;-)
Lovely place alright & activities

My original PM reply was lost, will try again later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.