Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Budapest Gresham Palace - Short trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

We had a great 3 night stay here over New Year. We loved Budapest and loved the FS. We booked with DavidO and were upgraded to Danube view rooms, which were tasteful and well maintained. The bathrooms were perhaps not the most up to date, but certainly acceptable. Loved the view.

Service was really excellent at all times and the staff seemed eager to go the extra mile whenever possible. One example was the bar staff overhearing us debating whether or not to go to a club and asking the concierge to find out where was most fun that night.

Breakfast was delicious but we didn't take any other meals at the hotel, as there is only one restaurant and (perhaps surprisingly) there are so many good dining options in the city.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the spa (or gym) as we went to the baths, but when I was considering booking a massage the spa reception was extremely responsive. Incidentally, FS give you towels, toiletries and slippers to take with you to the baths. A nice touch.

This must also be one of the best value hotels I have stayed at (especially if you book via a FSPP).
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
This must also be one of the best value hotels I have stayed at (especially if you book via a FSPP).
+1: Completely agree. Thanks for the review Londonjetsetter.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI- just booked yesterday (through DavidO- great service as always)- and until the end of March through FSPP not only are the rates very attractive there is also a guaranteed upgrade at time of booking for stays until 31MAR.

Anyone looking for a last minute getaway within Europe- spring has come early this year even to Hungary so could be a good time to go- to what is one of my favorite hotels in Europe and a great city break.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Four Seasons Gresham Palace

Map| 5 Reviews | 80% Recommended

SzĂŠchenyi IstvĂĄn tĂŠr 5-6 Budapest, HU 1051

Four Seasons Gresham Palace (0 Photo)

Contacted by concierge regarding any assistance/etc- asked by email for one restaurant reservation and it was confirmed and waiting (written confirmation) on checkin. Did not require any additional pre-arrival services as arriving by private car.

Check In

Great recognition on arrival. Valet parking immediately managed car and luggage. Excellent service. On checkin offered an additional upgrade to a Chain Bridge River view accommodation with balcony for 100 EUR extra- took it immediately and was very happy with this. Room not quite ready due to early arrival (12:15) so went for lunch at the restaurant Gresham.

Room

This hotel has beautiful rooms in the restored Gresham palace- that being said the very best are the rooms with balconies overlooking the Chain bridge. Magical at sunset and sunrise to watch the entire Buda Castle district framed by the bridge come and fade from light.

Dining

Perfect. For anyone visiting Budapest Gresham offers a "Power Lunch" set menu for 6700 HUF per person ++ which includes water, an appetizer, salad, and a main course as well as a small dessert. Well worth it and a great place or for a meeting or to relax. There is also a small outdoor patio which on a day like Saturday was ideal due to the great weather (22C and Sunny).

Again, great service- a bit noisy as it was very busy however a perfect Martini and nice little snacks as well as a very active floor manager making sure every guest was well satisfied and a nice piano player (quite talented) in the background.

Service

Very good breakfast selections and perfect service.

I wouldn't normally mention a shoe shine in a luxury hotel review however this hotel provided the 2nd best shoe shine I have ever received- the first being at the Hassler in Rome- the shoes were perfect and were returned "gift wrapped" in such a way I didn't even want to open the package.

Spa

We didn't have time to use the Spa on this trip- on my last visit however I did and I can say that while by Hungarian standards it is very pricey it is also worth it.

Checkout

Again- perfect service in one of the most beautiful hotels in Central Europe- also a great touch of putting water bottles in the car cupholders prior to leaving. Also- the night prior to departure the housekeeping left a little gift wrapped box of cookies freshly made by the hotel- a great touch with a nice handwritten note from management.

Overall

It is unusual that I give a hotel 10/10- this hotel however gets it for perfect service, excellent restaurant food quality, great bar, beautiful rooms with magnificent view (by the way completely silent and also good temperatures), and thoughtful little attention to details. Having stayed at most of the hotels in Budapest- I can say that nothing even comes close to this hotel- also location is perfect FYI.

Would you like to write a review on the Four Seasons Gresham Palace?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks for both reviews. Sounds great. I go to Budapest later this year. Travelling with friends who do not share my passion for luxury hotels, so we will stay somewhere else, but maybe visiting for lunch or dinner at least.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:12 am

Great review - thanks. We're staying for 3 nights in May so I'm looking forward to it. We're also going to spend a night at the IC which apparently also has the great river views especially from the club lounge.

Do you have a restaurant recommendation BTW?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Great review - thanks. We're staying for 3 nights in May so I'm looking forward to it. We're also going to spend a night at the IC which apparently also has the great river views especially from the club lounge.

Do you have a restaurant recommendation BTW?
The IC also has great river views to be sure- it is diagonally across the square from the Gresham Palace. I have stayed at the IC also and it is good for views and RA treatment- as far as physical buildings go it is functional although not charming.

Restaurants? Any particular taste you are looking for? I am probably not the best person to ask as I tend to go to foreign food restaurants in Budapest- so for example I like Nobu and Tokio (2 Japanese places- Nobu is the same group as London, HK, etc and is in the Kempinski Hotel, Tokio is just across the street from the Four Seasons)- for a great glass of wine pre or post dinner there is diVino (2 outlets- one very close to the hotel on St. Stephans Square- the other about a 10 minute walk away just off Andrassy UT)- very impressive selection of Hungarian wines from every region and sommelier with excellent knowledge and a real passion for Hungarian wine.

The restaurant by the way at the Four Seasons itself is excellent (Gresham) and definitely worth eating at- also if heading there for dinner do make reservations as it is typically very busy. Just next to the Marriott on the river is a very good Thai place as well run by a family from Northern Thailand- it has been there forever with the same family running it- I have been a regular customer for over 15 years- if you are walking along the walkway in front of the river (runs past the IC and the Marriott) you will see a large sign that reads "THAI RESTAURANT"- that is it.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
A few years ago Rickshaw at the Corinthia was a great choice.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:26 pm

The Gresham restaurant is quite good.

Outside the hotel I'd recommend Onyx, Costes, and especially Borkonyha.

Also Rosenstein (traditional Hungarian-Jewish) and Csalogany 26
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:10 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions - I prefer local cuisine when I travel so will look into the suggested restaurants and will definitely try the Gresham restaurant.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Thanks for all the suggestions - I prefer local cuisine when I travel so will look into the suggested restaurants and will definitely try the Gresham restaurant.
Remember the Gresham café in the mornings for a great breakfast or the evenings for coffee fantastic pastries the Times and live music...Its a true delight!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:02 am

Thanks - that's good to know as we have breakfast included in our rate.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - that's good to know as we have breakfast included in our rate.
We had room service which was outstanding- the only thing to note is that the service charge is additional to the breakfast which is included- it is about 2600 FNT or ~9 EUR- you just pay at checkout. While I don't like additional charges- I do have to say it was one of the better breakfasts I have had in a European hotel.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
[QUOTE=TRAVELSIG;22675239]We had room service which was outstanding- the only thing to note is that the service charge is additional to the breakfast which is included- it is about 2600 FNT or ~9 EUR- you just pay at checkout. While I don't like additional charges- I do have to say it was one of the better breakfasts I have had in a European hotel.[/]

This hotel charges a large premium (understandably), for a view of the bridge. If you don't want to pay the extra cost its worth asking at check-in if they can either offer you the view room complimentary or if you can upgrade to it for a small premium.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:31 pm

Anyone got the email address of the Concierge please - can't see it on the website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.