Reload this Page >

San Francisco luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This is a list of the properties discussed in this thread, excluding a few merely mentioned in passing.

Luxury Hotels

Fairmont
Fairmont Heritage Place Ghirardelli Square
Four Seasons
Four Seasons at Embarcadero (ex-Loews Regency, ex-Mandarin Oriental)
Huntington Hotel
Le Meridien
Mark Hopkins
Ritz-Carlton
St. Regis
Stanford Court

Upscale Hotels

Clift (ex-Four Seasons)
Grand Hyatt
InterContinental (5th & Howard Streets)
InterContinental (Nob Hill)
Pacific-Union Club
Taj Campton Place
Westin St. Francis

Miscellaneous Recommendations

1 Hotel (ex-Hotel Vitale)
Hotel Drisco (Pacific Heights)
Hotel Triton
Hotel Zetta Viceroy
Inn at Cavallo Point (Marin Cnty.)
Inn at the Presidio
The Battery
The Zeppelin

Print Wikipost

San Francisco luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Pierre&C馘ric
We narrowed our choice to St Regis (Astor suite) or Loews (don't know exactly which category) but no real enthusiasm.
Is there any new hotel under construction or renovation?
I don't think you can go wrong or even slightly skewed by the St. Regis -- it is without question the best in SF. But we prefer the Metropolitan suite and would not book lesser accommodations. We did so once and that was enough.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&C馘ric
We narrowed our choice to St Regis (Astor suite) or Loews (don't know exactly which category) but no real enthusiasm.
Is there any new hotel under construction or renovation?

Cavallo Point is right on the other side of the bridge. Doesn't fit 'central' location but it's a nice interesting place.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:19 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by KatW
I don't think you can go wrong or even slightly skewed by the St. Regis -- it is without question the best in SF. But we prefer the Metropolitan suite and would not book lesser accommodations. We did so once and that was enough.
I agree that the StR is the best in SF, though some prefer the slightly more traditional style or location of the RC. I love the modern style and SoMa location of the StR, and to me the StR is the only "major" luxury hotel that feels more boutique than large hotel.

The Metropolitan Suite is nicer and larger than the Astor Suite at the StR SF. That being said, the Astor is nice, too! When the rate difference isn't substantial, I easily can understand booking the Metropolitan over the Astor. But ordinarily, there is quite a rate difference between those suite categories, and I'm not sure the value add for the Metropolitan is worth the additional cost for most.

If you can book the Astor and be upgraded to the Metropolitan, that is the best of all worlds.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hotel Suggestions - San Francisco July 2016

Hi all

First time poster on this board!

I'm off to San Francisco in July 27th - 31st and I'm looking for hotel suggestions. Not a big fan of large chain hotels (use Fairmont and FS etc. for work) I prefer smaller, boutique properties. A central location would be good and the budget is $600 per night.

Thanks in advance!

Bobbie2013
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:09 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Would The Battery work for you?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Bobbie2013
Hi all

I'm off to San Francisco in July 27th - 31st and I'm looking for hotel suggestions. Not a big fan of large chain hotels (use Fairmont and FS etc. for work) I prefer smaller, boutique properties. A central location would be good and the budget is $600 per night.

Thanks in advance!

Bobbie2013
You might consider a larger room at the Taj Campton Place. Good location and smaller hotel.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Hi all

Thanks in advance!

Bobbie2013
Some smaller hotel recommendations:
Hotel Vitale - beautiful boutique hotel with a rooftop spa and fantastic views.
Hotel Zetta - funky hotel with a modern design
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:41 pm

Hi all

Thanks in advance!

Bobbie2013
When you say central, what do you mean? To touristy things? Or to the business district / convention center?

Is this your first time to SF?

Will you have partner and / or children with you?

Will you have a car?

Giants will be in town if you like baseball. 28, 29, 30, 31 vs. Dusty Baker, Harper, and the Nats!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Just returned from the RC SF. Enjoyed it lats stay in 2009. Thought it was horrible this time, wouldn't return.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Just returned from the RC SF. Enjoyed it lats stay in 2009. Thought it was horrible this time, wouldn't return.
I stay exclusively at the StR when I知 in SF (which is about 15-20 times a year) and it痴 amazing every time. The RC is just really substandard.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I live in SF so don't often stay in hotels, but have seen rooms and stayed during our 3 year stint in London. I think St Regis is the best. But it's not my favorite location. The Taj Campton Place is "For Me" a better location. Not my favorite part of SF but like the location better than St Regis ( there are no hotels in my favorite parts of SF). The best "Would have Been" the Huntington on Nob Hill - great location, beautiful views and great bones. But the Singapore company that bought the gorgeous property ( that desperately needed renovations) from a local San Franciscan ruined it. It could have been by far the best hotel in SF and many long time visitors stayed there even though it was in need of a major renovation. So, it was bought and absolutely ruined IMO. Given that the St Regis has nice rooms, nice bar, is close to our beautiful MOMA but I prefer the location of the Taj Campton Place which has a great Michelin Star Indian Calif. fusion restaurant, a nice bar and is on Union Square ( shopping mecca) which is centrally located. Either one will do, although as a native and resident I think we are missing a GREAT hotel in SF. Regards the Battery, location good if working downtown financial district. Rooms nice. Food terrible in a city with great restaurants. I must admit I've never stayed but been to many parties there, dinners, and seen the rooms. It would not be my first choice but some would like the hip tech atmosphere ( not that type of decor just the people who frequent it). . They do have a marvelous rooftop venue but I think it is mainly for private parties ( could be wrong as I've only been there for private parties!). All above is just My Opinion. Best to also ask someone who stays in these hotels all the time vs lives in the city! If you have specific questions please feel free to ask.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:38 am
Original Member

I agree we lack a GREAT hotel in San Francisco.

We live in Palo Alto and repair often to the city for culture. Our favorite hotel is the St. Regis but only in a Metropolitan suite.

The Ritz Carlton is a disaster after their renovation six years ago.

We used to stay in the Sherman House but it closed up years ago, so sad therefore.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Agreed, I also just returned from RC SF, overpriced, bad dining options, looked really tired.

Originally Posted by KatW
I agree we lack a GREAT hotel in San Francisco.

We live in Palo Alto and repair often to the city for culture. Our favorite hotel is the St. Regis but only in a Metropolitan suite.

The Ritz Carlton is a disaster after their renovation six years ago.

We used to stay in the Sherman House but it closed up years ago, so sad therefore.
Are you kidding me?! RC had a renovation six years ago? I stayed there in September and thought it looked so, so tired.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:05 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I知 a little surprised by the tired comments about the RC SF. Everyone knows I知 a massive fan of my favorite StR SF, but my husband and I walked over and toured the RC in July and thought it was still very nice. We saw all of the public spaces, which looked rich and sumptuous and luxurious, even if a bit more traditional than our taste. We also saw one regular room, which was fine. We clearly prefer the StR, but we thought the RC was pretty nice.

I知 booked at the RC in Nov for 3 nights熔nly because the StR is so much pricier ($500 vs $850+)耀o I値l be able to get a better sense again.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I知 a little surprised by the tired comments about the RC SF. Everyone knows I知 a massive fan of my favorite StR SF, but my husband and I walked over and toured the RC in July and thought it was still very nice. We saw all of the public spaces, which looked rich and sumptuous and luxurious, even if a bit more traditional than our taste. We also saw one regular room, which was fine. We clearly prefer the StR, but we thought the RC was pretty nice.

I知 booked at the RC in Nov for 3 nights熔nly because the StR is so much pricier ($500 vs $850+)耀o I値l be able to get a better sense again.
Maybe Asia has spoiled me, but when I compare RC SF with RC HK and get no pool, only one dining option which is mediocre, rooms (especially the bathrooms) that reminds me of my wealthy grandma, no views and double the price... well I get disappointed. The public spaces are nice though, and the conference spaces and conference service was fantastic. I'd maybe go back for a conference, but definitely not for vacation. Loews looked nicer for a personal vacation and was in the same price range in September when I was there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.