Reload this Page >

San Francisco luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This is a list of the properties discussed in this thread, excluding a few merely mentioned in passing.

Luxury Hotels

Fairmont
Fairmont Heritage Place Ghirardelli Square
Four Seasons
Four Seasons at Embarcadero (ex-Loews Regency, ex-Mandarin Oriental)
Huntington Hotel
Le Meridien
Mark Hopkins
Ritz-Carlton
St. Regis
Stanford Court

Upscale Hotels

Clift (ex-Four Seasons)
Grand Hyatt
InterContinental (5th & Howard Streets)
InterContinental (Nob Hill)
Pacific-Union Club
Taj Campton Place
Westin St. Francis

Miscellaneous Recommendations

1 Hotel (ex-Hotel Vitale)
Hotel Drisco (Pacific Heights)
Hotel Triton
Hotel Zetta Viceroy
Inn at Cavallo Point (Marin Cnty.)
Inn at the Presidio
The Battery
The Zeppelin

Print Wikipost

San Francisco luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:02 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Maybe it is no luxury hotel at all, but when we stayed at the Four Seasons in San Francisco, we crossed the Market street and went straight on to the Chinatown gate. Just before the Chinatown gate, on our right hand side, we passed a hotel that looked very cool and designish. We could look into the reception from the street and I think I remember bright colours and a very modern look. Anyone know which one I mean?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Musken
Maybe it is no luxury hotel at all, but when we stayed at the Four Seasons in San Francisco, we crossed the Market street and went straight on to the Chinatown gate. Just before the Chinatown gate, on our right hand side, we passed a hotel that looked very cool and designish. We could look into the reception from the street and I think I remember bright colours and a very modern look. Anyone know which one I mean?
I am quite sure you are referring to the Hotel Triton.
https://www.kimptonhotels.com/stay/h...n-union-square

I have stayed at the Hotel Triton. Nice staff, convenient location, I would rate it about 3.5 stars.

Kimpton Hotels are one of those things you either "get" or "do not get". I fall somewhere in between and probably more towards the "do not get" area. This being said- a lot of people do really like this chain and are strong followers. Apparently there are supposed to be some "Wow!" suites at this hotel- I have not seen them. Note it is not the quietest place you will stay- and I would put it squarely in the "cheap and cheerful" category. The Cafe has one of the best magazine selections of foreign press in San Francisco though- and good coffee as well so worth stopping by to purchase a magazine, a coffee, and sit on the street corner.

If you need to be in San Francisco during one of the frequent large conventions- and wish to stay away from the soul crushing mega 2000 room chain hotels- and everything else is sold out- you could do far worse than this.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:10 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Found it using the map at TA and recognised pictures. Hotel Triton it is called. Not lux as I understand, but looks kind of cool and has a great location.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:58 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Found it using the map at TA and recognised pictures. Hotel Triton it is called. Not lux as I understand, but looks kind of cool and has a great location.
Exactly. Hotel Triton. Not luxe but definitely boutique, and in a great location. I've ended up there before a few times on priceline auctions when I didn't care about luxe as much as location. I'd agree on the aforementioned 3.5 out of 5 stars; it's a solid boutique property in the Kimpton line-up.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Speaking of which, whilst it's true the Ritz badly needs refurbishment, the pricing of rooms in this luxury hotel is very attractive. Meanwhile, the Ritz lobby HAS been redone and is positively awful but that's ok since we have the club lounge in which to repose.
Do you mean the lobby area itself? Or the lobby bar?

The lobby area itself seems so tiny, they don't have much to work with.

I really enjoyed Parallel 37, and have since returned to eat there again with others. I have found it to be consistently very good to excellent.

What do you not like about it? What restaurants do you love in SF? Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:47 pm
Original Member

Just had a post evaporate on me. Both lobby and lobby bar have been redone in glitzy contemporary fashion which does not appeal. If I say P37 strikes me as striving much too hard, does that make sense? I did like very much the former Ritz Dining Room. In SF we like Mamacita, Absinthe, Manresa, Slanted Door, Marlowe. Sometimes Jardiniere but the atmosphere there has gotten snooty.

Last edited by KatW; Sep 15, 2014 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Just had a post evaporate on me. Both lobby and lobby bar have been redone in glitzy contemporary fashion which does not appeal. If I say P37 strikes me as striving much too hard, does that make sense? I did like very much the former Ritz Dining Room. In SF we like Mamacita, Absinthe, Manresa, Slanted Door, Marlowe. Sometimes Jardiniere but the atmosphere there has gotten snooty.
The lobby seemed like a place I would not want to hang out in - but then, it is a hotel lobby!

The lobby bar seemed more 'classic' to me - maybe I just didn't notice?

Your taste in restaurants is excellent.

'tries too hard' is an interesting characterization - trying to be what they think they need to be or what their customers want them to be?

I guess I can see what you mean, with the mixologists, the (some) too fancy drinks menu, the presentation of some of the items... The service(?)

However, I would say that this type of trendiness (if that is what it is) is certainly not unique to P37.

Plus, the ingredients are top rate!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:18 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
San Fran

What's THE luxury hotel to check out in San Fran? Quickly browsing through past threads, I get the impression there's a dearth of really good luxury hotels.

I may be headed over there for something later this year, and while I'm there, it would be nice to review one hotel, and visit a few more just to see what they offer and report back.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
What city are you referring to? I googled "San Fran" and came up with nothing. Is it in Mexico, South America, or where?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:44 pm
Original Member

Heh. In San Francisco I prefer the Mandarin Oriental or a club-level suite at the Ritz Carlton which is affordable just now because the property realizes it is past time for refurbishment. The Club level lounge is wonderful.

However, I expect a moderator soon will come along to collapse the error of your ways via this established thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...francisco.html
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:49 pm

We have stayed in a few places in SF, but were not that impressed with any.
Our choice is now the Fairmont Ghiradelli, but I understand that would not suit everyone due to lack of facilities and the location. (we have two young children and like the space, but not the location so much).

Our second choice is the Four Seasons, but we do find it bland in style.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Agree with the Ritz Club Level suite suggestion. We stayed in one for a few days this summer and it was quite nice, along with the lounge, especially for their current rates.

The Mandarin has the best views in the city, but I've never been that impressed with the service.

There are plenty of other options, depending on where you want to be. For instance, if you are coming for a convention, the St Regis and Four Seasons are the most convenient high end options near the Moscone Center.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
What city are you referring to? I googled "San Fran" and came up with nothing. Is it in Mexico, South America, or where?
- I read a long time ago that the locals hate SF being called San Fran! I like the MO in what is I think called Bridge to Bridge room. I've also stayed in the IC and the Mark Hopkins a couple times each and although most here won't rate them as luxury I've had great stays - Obama even stays at the IC!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:26 pm
Suspended

The best luxury properties in SF are probably among the MO, FS, SR, RC, and a few of the boutique properties, depending on what your priorities might be. I agree that the city lacks some of the spectacular luxe properties found in other major world or US cities, but I also think that SF has a history of being less grand than many of its counterpart cities.

I've had very good luck wth service at the SR, unlike so many others herein, perhaps because I'm SPG Plat. I love the SR.

I agree that service at the MO is perhaps not comparable to most of its other properties for some reason. It's service just feels a bit too stiff IMO, but I think the same of the MO Bangkok unlike so many.

We prefer the SR and FS, but we agree that the views are best at the MO. We don't see the FS as being bland; we love its clean, modern style, and feel it fits the city. But as SPG Plat, our go-to is usually the SR unless we get a great deal elsewhere.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Will be back at the St. Regis San Francisco this weekend. Used SPG SNA upgrade and already upgraded from regular superior room to Astor Suite. Can't wait...and will have dinners at Coi and Saison, our first at either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.